Close
Close
    Gallopingphotog is offline Horses and cameras!

Default Color cast with ND filters

My neutral density filters seem to add a purple-ish cast. It is hardly noticeable with the ND 2 and pretty heavy with the ND 8. I'm hoping to shoot some waterfalls on an upcoming trip (alas, waterfalls in the Texas Panhandle are nonexistent!) and had planned to use an ND filter to help get that flowing effect. BUT, I don't want purple!
    I shoot RAW so I will have correction abilities but I'd rather get it right in the camera.
    Any suggestions?

scootermcq is offline Ad lucem

You could try a custom white balance, but I suspect that you need better quality ND filters
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Gallopingphotog is offline Horses and cameras!

Default Rats!

I had suspected that might be the reason, but had hoped not.
    Any suggestions of brands that wouldn't be budget-busters? I'm just an enthusiastic amateur (as if you couldn't tell!!)
    OR, could I use a circular polarizer to get the desired result of darkening enough to get the water smooth?
    Anyway, thanks for answering.

Krusty79 is offline You kids get off my lawn!

I know SwissJon uses the nice B+W ND filters and he says he notices a magenta color cast on the ND10 filter, but the weaker ones do not have any color cast.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

Filtration: Beware Of The Reaper Of Cheap Glass | Hurlbut Visuals
    GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

scootermcq is offline Ad lucem

CPOL will not do it. At most it will cut 1 stop of light.

Use the ND 2 and go about half an hour before sunset. It is just a question of getting a slow enough shutter speed. If God doesn't give you money, at least he gives you darkness.

This picture is a 1 minute exposure about a half hour before sunrise with no ND filter. The waves were about 3 feet high that morning, but people have asked if it was ice..
    beach at night
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8