Close
Close
    utsc2006 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Old (like 1970's) Nikon Lens question!

My Dad was nice enough to 'hand down' his old old Nikon lenses from back when he was into Photography (before he switched to the dark side...tv)

These are for film cameras (obviously) but I'm wondering if I can in some way use them with my DSLR?

I have a 28mm F2.8 automatic Formula 5 (i think) lens
    and a Nikon E Series 50mm f1.8

I do have the camera they came with so all is not lost if I can't use them with the DSLR.

Are there adaptors or connectors or something that will allow me to use them?

Thanks for any help!

vandergus is offline Person

Is your DSLR a Nikon? If so, then you should be able to use them. I'd have to know a little bit more about the 28mm before I could say for sure. Some manual focus lenses can damage some newer cameras depending on the mount but the 50mm should mount safely on any modern camera. The What film camera were they used on?

The main limitation with these types of lenses is the lack of metering on most cameras. This means that you'll have to set the exposure manually in addition to focusing manually. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you can shoot quite efficiently. And they were free so what do you have to lose?

As far as quality goes, the 50mm shoud be quite good. It has a reputation for being very sharp and it's large aperture should allow you to shoot it low light situations. The 28mm is a bit of a crap shoot though. There were a lot of pretty crappy 28mm lenses made during that period so I wouldn't expect much. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised
    flickr
    Why I Like Photographs

"It's more expensive, but it lets me adjust really specific settings that most people don't notice or think about." - Abed

utsc2006 is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks for the response vandergus.
    My camera is a Nikon D40 and the camera they came with is a Nikon EM. When you look through the camera it has this ring and a small focus circle in the middle and the rest of the frame is frosted out... weird. Glad they've changed cameras since then

LoveDSLR is offline dPS +1000 Club

You can mount the Nikon 50 f/1.8 Series E onto any Nikon compatible DSLR. Its compatibility is as follows:

Nikon D40, D40x, D60, D5000, D90 - Manual focus, no metering
    Nikon D300, D700, D3, D3x - Manual focus & full-aperture metering

FYI: Nikon Series E lenses are cheaper-version of Nikkor lenses then.

I don't know is the "Formula 5 28mm f/2.8" AI/S or not so I cannot comment on it. However, if your father's SLR is not a Nikon F, F2 or Nikkormat SLR then the "Formula 5" should be AI/S (i.e., compatible as above, maybe).

vandergus is offline Person

The D40 can use just about any Nikon SLR lens ever made so you should be able to use the 28mm as well. The only exceptions are some odd fisheye lenses that protrude into the body.

When you look through the camera it has this ring and a small focus circle in the middle and the rest of the frame is frosted out... weird. Glad they've changed cameras since then
    It's funny you should say that because I actually took one of those weird old focusing screens and put it in my D40. They may not be pretty to look at but they make manual focusing so much easier. Anyway, have fun with the lenses.
    flickr
    Why I Like Photographs

"It's more expensive, but it lets me adjust really specific settings that most people don't notice or think about." - Abed

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

That E series will be a treat, that's for sure!
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design