Close
Close
    candleman is offline Bad at explaining

Default Finding Fungus & second hand lens inspection

i'm on the verge of a steep glass cliff..

i found a "very good" 70-300 f/4-f/5.6 G (no VR) which i want to take pics of my 5year old in his rugby team we just signed him up for.

i might go around and see the lens beofre i buy it. (i can get it for between US$50-US$70.
    which is dirt cheap really.

anyway,
    how do i spot the fungus (even if there is a small amount of it?)
    whatother signs should i be looking for? apart from scratches, and obvious external damage.. mounts or contacts..

i wouldnt know what specifically to look for..

much appreciated.
    J
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Chip is offline Expat

Jared - the second post in this thread is concise, but seems to be right on point. If not, I'm sure vandergus, inkista and/or someone else will chime in soon.

$50-70 US would sure be dirt cheap. Good luck.

EDIT: Now that I think about it some more, the thread that I posted originally is for a lens with an aperture ring. So, I'm not sure how you can check a G lens to see if the stops all "click" the right way. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Chip; 04-08-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Chip
    My flickr and My Gear
    Feel Free to Edit and Re-Post My Pics On DPS Only

vandergus is offline Person

Well since you asked...

The best way to find fungus in a lens is to open it up to its widest aperture, then hold the lens up so you are looking through it into a direct light source like a lamp or overhead light. On lenses with aperture rings it's easy. Just select the largest aperture and look through. On G-type lenses it's a little different. When the lens isn't mounted, the aperture automatically stops down to it's smallest setting. If you look at the lens mount on the rear of the lens, you'll see a little pin sticking out that controls the aperture. As you move it back and forth in the slot, you can see the aperture in the lens open and close. So to inspect the lens, hold the pin in the position with the aperture wide open and look through the lens at a light source.

If you see something that looks like a mishapen snowflake, that's probably fungus. Looking through the lens like this will also help you see scratches on the front element more easily. Don't make to big a deal about fine scratches though. They won't show up as spots in you pictures or anything like that, but they may increase the chances of flare in certain situations.

The link Chip posted covers pretty much everything else as far as checking funtionality goes.

And as a general comment about the lens, don't expect miracles from it. For $50 bucks, though, it's probably worth it.
    flickr
    Why I Like Photographs

"It's more expensive, but it lets me adjust really specific settings that most people don't notice or think about." - Abed

Thank you Gentlemen, very much apreciated

i bought it
    *slap on the hand*

will give it a health check when i go pick it up, so if its not exactly as described of if i see snow.. i'll walk away.

Phew.. just in time for the long weekend.
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

well thanks guys
    picked it up and all looks good, no scratches, zoom is smooth and no fungus/dust.

only minor thing is a bit of wear on the mount, and when searching for a focus its a gritty noise.. not smooth like the 50mm or 18-135

*shrug* oh well... cant cmplain for that price

Chip is offline Expat

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    well thanks guys
    picked it up and all looks good, no scratches, zoom is smooth and no fungus/dust.

only minor thing is a bit of wear on the mount, and when searching for a focus its a gritty noise.. not smooth like the 50mm or 18-135

*shrug* oh well... cant cmplain for that price
    On a lens of that price, the good news is that they're cant be much of a downside. Hope to see you posting many rugby shots soon.
    Chip
    My flickr and My Gear
    Feel Free to Edit and Re-Post My Pics On DPS Only

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    On a lens of that price, the good news is that they're cant be much of a downside. Hope to see you posting many rugby shots soon.

yup.. it seems quite good actually.. t does what i bought if or.. focus on stuff at 300mm.
    cant complain

i'll be posting some as soon as he has his first game. cant wait actually.
    they have to teach the kids the rules first .