Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nirama is offline I'm new here!

Default What is the cheapest way to shoot at 50mm?

Currently I have a 20d with a 50mm lens. I really want to experiment at the true 50mm focal length, however. What is the cheapest way/setup to adopt that would allow me to shoot at 50mm? I am currently look into buying a 35mm slr, such as the Canon eos 300, but I'd like to see what other options I may have.

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

You're already shooting at 50mm. You get the compression and perspective of a mid-range, 50mm lens. The only thing that changes is the field of view.

Strictly speaking an 18-55 lens covers the 30-35mm focal length range, and thats probably the cheapest way of getting a similar FoV to a 50mm lens on full-frame. But that's still shooting at 30-35mm, not 50.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    You're already shooting at 50mm. You get the compression and perspective of a mid-range, 50mm lens. The only thing that changes is the field of view.

Strictly speaking an 18-55 lens covers the 30-35mm focal length range, and thats probably the cheapest way of getting a similar FoV to a 50mm lens on full-frame. But that's still shooting at 30-35mm, not 50.
    That lost me... did you mean to say the 18-55 = 30-*85*mm on a crop body? The only thing that changes w/ different focal lengths is magnification/fov. Perspective/compression is a function of working distance (resulting from magnification/fov for a given composition).

jpowers is offline Bacon Lover

Perhaps what you're asking for is the field of view of a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera, in which case what you want is a 30mm lens (or a zoom lens set to 30mm). The depth of field will be different, though. You'll need to use a wider aperture (compared to a full-frame camera) to get the same depth of field.

tomservo51 is offline Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by nirama View Post
    Currently I have a 20d with a 50mm lens. I really want to experiment at the true 50mm focal length, however. What is the cheapest way/setup to adopt that would allow me to shoot at 50mm? I am currently look into buying a 35mm slr, such as the Canon eos 300, but I'd like to see what other options I may have.
    Get a film camera. I got one on ebay for $12.

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post
    That lost me... did you mean to say the 18-55 = 30-*85*mm on a crop body?
    Dont know where you're getting that. You've lost me.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

nirama is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by jpowers View Post
    Perhaps what you're asking for is the field of view of a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera, in which case what you want is a 30mm lens (or a zoom lens set to 30mm). The depth of field will be different, though. You'll need to use a wider aperture (compared to a full-frame camera) to get the same depth of field.
    Yes, this is what I'm talking about (also what osmosis said earlier). I don't have a kit lens. I'm looking into buying a film camera, but is there any other way that is relatively cheap? Under $100

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    Dont know where you're getting that. You've lost me.
    Really? 18x1.6= 28.8mm; 55x1.6=88mm. 18-55mm= 30-85mm on Canon DX would make sense. 30-35mm does not.

Ah, I get it...*using* the 18-55 at 30-35mm would equal the FOV of a 50mm. I'm afraid I was a bit slow on the uptake...it seems obvious now.
    Last edited by sk66; 01-18-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Wolfiesden is offline dPS Forum Member

Wouldn't buying a 35mm prime be cheaper than buying a film body?

A 35mm prime should give you a similar FOV of a 50mm on a film/fx body. Be aware, its still going to be a 35mm lens in the respect of compression and image distortion due to the shorter focal length.
    Nikon D7000 | D70 | SB-910 | SB-700
    Nikon 24-70 /f2.8 | 35 /f1.8g | 18-105 /f3.5-5.6
    Tamron 70-200 /f2.8
    Pocket Wizard FlexTT5/PowerMC2/Sekonic L-478DR, Einstein 640

flickr | wolfiesden.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Be aware, its still going to be a 35mm lens in the respect of compression and image distortion due to the shorter focal length.
    No it won't.... Perspective/distortion/compression are strictly functions of working distance. The working distance is determined by the effective focal length (FOV).

Page 1 of 2 12 Last