Close
Close
    hanalwala is offline I'm new here!

Default Advise on Canon lens.

Hi....

I am an amature photographer and I like to take birds and wildlife pictures. I will be traveling to India to take some birds pictures at Bharatpur and the Tiger pictures at Ranthambhore. I use Canon bodies and I have a 60D and 7D. The lens I have is Canon 500mm f/4L IS USM and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM + 1.4x TC.

Now the problem is that on the Jeeps there is no stand to put the heavy 500mm lens and now at this age I find it difficult to hand hold such a heavy lens. I was therefore wanting to go for a lens wich is much lighter and can be hand held.

Could you guys please advice which would be a good lens to go for ? My special interest is for birds and wildlife photography.

Hussain Nalwala
    HUSSAIN NALWALA PHOTOGRAPHY / / / / /

Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

If the jeep stops to allow passengers out to take pic, use a monopod. Could you use a fully collapsed monopod in the jeep? I would think trying to use part of the moving jeep as a rest for the lens would not work too well. If you want to try, a small snadbag or beanbag may be of some help. Another option is to obtain a 2x tc and use it on the 70-200. Could you rent a fixed 300mm which may be lighter and use the 1.4xtc?

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

My solution (currently) for a small/light travel "long lens" is the (Nikon) 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4/2x TC's + D7000 crop body. W/ 2x TC I have 600mm f/5.6 of good IQ. IMO this is a bit slow and definitely a compromise; I don't think it would be my choice for a dedicated photography trip.

Probably one of your best options is the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, but that's not much better than the 70-200 w/ TC's (a bit better IQ I would think).

A 300mm f/2.8 w/ TC's would be the next step and probably my recommendation for this specific situation.

Personally, I would be taking my Sigma 300-800 (which I usually handhold) or a 400mm f/2.8 +TC's. I would be leaning towards the 400, but that is even heavier than the 500 (but lighter than my 300-800).

Definitely get a Bean Bag. Travel there with it empty and fill it with dirt/sand upon arrival. Definitely carry a MonoPod....Take a tripod if possible.