Close
Close

Thread: Which filter?

oldcountrygirl is offline I'm new here!

Default Which filter?

Hi, I am going to purchase a cannon 100-400 mm lens for wildlife photos. Which filter would you say is a must have, and which would be nice to have??? Thanks for any help.

brianxlt is offline Shoots from the hip.

If you will be shooting near water during mid day you might want to use a PL or maybe a ND filter to cut glare, other than that you shouldn't NEED any filter.
    I shoot for me - I shoot for fun.

PhotoRebel4 is offline dPS Forum Member

For wildlife, you shouldn't need a filter.

A CP filter will cut glare on water or shiny objects. This isn't really a big deal when shooting wildlife. It would also cut down the amount of light entering your lens, slowing your shutter speed down and that's undesirable for wildlife, especially with a big telephoto.

The ND filter won't cut glare at all; it will reduce the amount of light entering the lens slowing down shutter speed.

Some would say you should put a protective/UV filter on all your lenses, but that's debatable.
    My Flickr
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi; EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; and more.

ravncat is offline Friendly Astrophysicist

You should be using a hood. It protects the front element, and it will prevent glare and flaring, when the sun is not in the frame.

oldcountrygirl is offline I'm new here!

Smile

Thank you all. I will get a protective/UV filter, just because it makes me feel better to have it!! The lens does have a hood and I may get the CP because I live in FL and will be taking photos of birds on the beach. Again thanks!!