Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    imgr8stmom is offline I'm new here!

Default Is my Nikon equipment good enough?

I'm beginning to get really serious about photography, and honestly spend A LOT of time on this site reading all the forums, studying & trying to learn all I can. Although I think I'm a pretty good photographer, I know I still have a long way to go, and need a ton more experience before I start charging for any services.

In the mean time, I take a lot of candid pictures of my friends & family, and want to start venturing in photo session, such as Family group photo's, special events, like Bday party's, bridal showers, maybe a 2nd photographer at wedding, until such time I gain the experience & confidence I need to really consider myself "pro"

Below is the break down of equipment I currently have. I'd like to know what you think I might need as I go forward. Obviously I don't have major bucks to run out & get what I need all at once, so I plan to buy pieces a little at a time. With that said, I would like to know in order of necessity if possible.

Nikon d60- will be upgrading soon to D90
    Nikkor 18-55 mm AF
    Nikkor 55-200 mm AF
    Nikkor 70-300 mm AF
    Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 prime
    SB-600
    flash difuser
    Monopod
    Tripod
    Trigger release

Thanks for your help!!!
    Wendy
    Nikon D90, Tameron 17-55mm f/2.8, Nikkor 55-200mm, Nikkor 70-300 mm vr, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, SB-600

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

It s perfectly adequate to learn with...as you advance you will find areas that are lacking, and THAT is where you spend your money.

IF you are seriously considering trying to "go pro" someday I would recommend new purchases allow for future pro upgrade compatibility. (i.e. FX lenses)

Elmo is offline Almost as Old as Dirt

Go out and shoot. Then and only then start thinking about upgrades/additions. Make these upgrades/additions based strictly on where your current equipment fall short the most. The only one who can set priorities is you, and those should be based on what you you need to do the task.

Remember there are often work arounds to cover equipment shortage and deficiencies.

As an example for many years I exhibited in international competitions and shows with great success with a single camera with non-changeable fixed focal length lens. Now I got a ton of stuff and if anything my images are worse.

Almond.Butterscotch is offline I love me some Purple.

short answer: yes.

not too much longer answer: there've been countless photographers over the years who've shot with only one camera, one lens (often a 50mm). Cartier-Bresson, for example, for the longest time just had his Leica and a 50mm. (yeah, yeah- a Leica, but Canon/Nikon weren't in his time)

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    As an example for many years I exhibited in international competitions and shows with great success with a single camera with non-changeable fixed focal length lens. Now I got a ton of stuff and if anything my images are worse.
    LOL! Yeah when you use "one piece" of gear for a long time you get to know it very well...With a single camera/lens combo you even begin to "see like the camera"...
    I have difficulty "seeing" in all of my available combinations these days.

Almond.Butterscotch is offline I love me some Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post
    LOL! Yeah when you use "one piece" of gear for a long time you get to know it very well...With a single camera/lens combo you even begin to "see like the camera"...
    Agreed; my D40+35mm combo has served me well: 35mm ⨍/1.8 - a set on Flickr

imgr8stmom is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like at least for now, I am on the right track, and will just continue to shoot!

Thanks again!!! =)
    Wendy
    Nikon D90, Tameron 17-55mm f/2.8, Nikkor 55-200mm, Nikkor 70-300 mm vr, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, SB-600

lisakathleen1961 is offline I'm new here!

Hey Wendy. I have basically the same setup as you. D60 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR (Costco by any chance?). It's easy to get overwhelmed or caught up in the "latest" equipment that you read about on these forums and the ads that come your way. I spent days upon days reading up on which external flash to buy (most of them out of my price range)... and then I read up on the benefits of shooting in natural light. My enthusiasm for buying a flash plunged!! I had my D60 for a year before my interest peaked enough to really start reading in more depth on its features. For example, just today I finally shot in RAW format. Push your D60 to the limits. It is leagues ahead of the cameras some of greats had. Once you have begun to maximize your camera's potential, maybe *then* look into upgrading it.

-- Lisa

Drkranger is offline dPS Forum Member

Drkranger
    Kaymee Photography
    Sacramento Photography Examiner
    Nikon D300, Nikon D50
    Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Andy153 is offline I'm new here!

Hi there Wendy, what you have is perfectly adequate and if you are upgrading to a D90 so much the better. Camera bodies change every couple of years, lenses last a lot longer. I always get the best possible lenses I can afford, the bodies come and go but the lenses remain - some of my lenses are over 20 years old and immaculate. Practice taking anything that moves and anything that doesn't. Get to know the capabilities of your camera and flash if you wish to do weddings, but remember that there are many pro photography niches - news, forensic, advertising, fashion, fine art - the list goes on. Best of luck.
    "I take photographs of what I like - if someone else likes them, that's a bonus"
    Gear: Nikon D3, D700 and D100 converted for IR; Lenses: Nikkors: AF-S14-24 f2.8, AF-S 24-70 f2.8 24mm PC-E; 70-200 f2.8 etc.... more than enough;
    http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last