Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Liltiger is offline Pet Shelter Photographer

Default Metallic Green Bee (Sweat Bee)

This is a tiny little bee that buzzes around my flowers rarely ever landing and when they do, it's usually for a brief moment. They're only about -inch long from nose to tail and move at the high speeds.

I sat for almost 30 minutes waiting for one to land with my camera about 1 foot from the flower. Fortunately, my patience paid off.

Wikipedia says:
    The genus Agapostemon is a common group of Western hemisphere sweat bees of generally green or blue appearance (head and thorax always, sometimes also the abdomen in some females). There are some 45 species in the genus, ranging from Canada to Argentina. They superficially resemble various members of the tribe Augochlorini, which are typically metallic greenish in appearance. Members of this genus are commonly referred to as metallic green bees.

Some little tiny green bug... looks like some kind of bee
    Liltiger - Visit my Flickr page to see more http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/

JoeWhitley is offline Average at best

Excellent - it seems to be very sharp in the right areas and the oversaturation works very well. What equipment did you use for this? And can you please print your EXIF?
    Joe Whitley
    Canon EOS-1D Mk3; 17-40mm f/4L; 70-200mm f/4L; 50mm f/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWhitley View Post
    Excellent - it seems to be very sharp in the right areas and the oversaturation works very well. What equipment did you use for this? And can you please print your EXIF?
    Thanks so much for the kind words.

You mention "Oversaturation", but, believe it or not, although I did add a little, there really wasn't much saturating to be done in post-processing. They're really that bright green. They're stunning little critters.

As far as the EXIF... I'd be happy to :

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
    Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 100 mm
    ISO Speed: 500
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire
    Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
    Lens Model: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (Taken handheld-NO tripod used)
    Originally taken in RAW format and edited in Adobe Camera RAW
    Liltiger - Visit my Flickr page to see more http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/

ZafarSami is online now dPS +1000 Club

Hats off to you for patience and good preparation. It has delivered results. Beautiful capture. You should be justifiably proud of this.
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

JoeWhitley is offline Average at best

Interesting. Surprised it came out so sharp handheld at that shutter speed, I'm impressed. You must have very steady hands!
    Wasn't meaning anything bad about the saturation, it just looks very strong on my monitor. It hasn't been calibrated recently, though, so it could be that!
    Joe Whitley
    Canon EOS-1D Mk3; 17-40mm f/4L; 70-200mm f/4L; 50mm f/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by ZafarSami View Post
    Hats off to you for patience and good preparation. It has delivered results. Beautiful capture. You should be justifiably proud of this.
    Thanks so much... I do have to admit... I'm quite happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWhitley View Post
    Interesting. Surprised it came out so sharp handheld at that shutter speed, I'm impressed. You must have very steady hands!
    Wasn't meaning anything bad about the saturation, it just looks very strong on my monitor. It hasn't been calibrated recently, though, so it could be that!
    No offense taken at all!!

Once you mentioned it, I did notice that it can be seen as a bit much saturation, but that's pretty much the real color of the bee... I just think his color is beautiful... but then again, I'm very partial to green.

My macro lens doesn't have Image Stabilization, so I've learned to hold my breath when I use it... the less movement the better. May I also say that, I too, am surprised at the clarity since they move so fast and don't land much.

aweirauch is offline More I learn, Less I know

That is an amazing shot! TFS!
    Angela Weirauch
    An ever expanding array of Canon gear

flickr facebook

lever63 is offline dPS Forum Member

Great sharpness, great colors, great background, great shot! TFS!
    a camera, some lenses, other stuff
    ---
    Please comment my shots not my english!

Quote Originally Posted by aweirauch View Post
    That is an amazing shot! TFS!
    Quote Originally Posted by lever63 View Post
    Great sharpness, great colors, great background, great shot! TFS!
    Thanks so much!!

penguinsoda is offline Call me Pengy...

Amazing....this is the kind of stuff I want to take! 100mm lens? Did you crop this down any?
    Perfection is nice, but the importance to me is to capture the memory before it's gone. While I know I can always learn more and do better, I'll be happy as long as I don't miss the important stuff along the way

My ViewBug

Page 1 of 2 12 Last