Close
Close
    bittoo is offline I'm new here!

Default suggestions needed to buy new lens

Hi all, this is my first post on dps.

I recently purchased a Nikon d3100 with 18-55 afs vr lens and I have taken a lot of pictures with it. I have a vacation upcoming to Kerala ( venice in India) and I am looking for a good but cheap telephoto lens.

I came across the Nikon 70-300 af lens, is that a good buy? I realize that my camera does not have a built in focus motor, but still, can I take good pics with the mentioned lens?

Please advice...

Thanks in advance

Surfwooder is offline I'm new here!

Default Wrong place for your post

Quote Originally Posted by bittoo View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post on dps.

I recently purchased a Nikon d3100 with 18-55 afs vr lens and I have taken a lot of pictures with it. I have a vacation upcoming to Kerala ( venice in India) and I am looking for a good but cheap telephoto lens.

I came across the Nikon 70-300 af lens, is that a good buy? I realize that my camera does not have a built in focus motor, but still, can I take good pics with the mentioned lens?

Please advice...

Thanks in advance
    You need to post in another thread, this is for Macro & Close-up Photography

chetankjain is offline dPS Forum Member

This is not the right section for this thread, but still ...

along with the 18-55, 70-300 AF VR lens will be a very good addition IMO
    the 55-70mm missing is not much actually, a step forward or back will cover that range

70-300 VR is a wonderful lens, and is fast for action too .. only very low light might require a f2.8 lens .. else u have the entire range covered from 18mm (wide) to 300mm,

U could also get the 70-300G for about 150USD but that will not autofocus .. so go for the VR lens
    Cameras: Nikon D5100 (16MP DSLR), Sony CyberShot DSC-HX10V (18.2MP PnS), Samsung Galaxy S2 (8MP mobile)
    Lens: Nikkor AF-D 50mm f/1.4 (fast), Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (zoom), AF-S DX 18-55mm (std), AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR (zoom), Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D AF 100mm f/2.8 1:1 (macro), AT-X 116 PRO DX AF 11-16mm f/2.8 (wide)

Facebook Flickr

mottyboy is offline Banned

Just be sure if you buy a Nikon/Nikkor lens you choose a af-s lens as the D3100 has no Auto focus motor.
    Off Ebay you can get a decent second hand 55-300 af-s vr for about 180 in the UK
    Check out Amazon as well they have some pretty nifty deals.
    Make sure what ever you buy it comes with a lens hood and buy a polarizing filter and some ND filters.
    good luck
    Last edited by mottyboy; 12-09-2012 at 06:51 AM.

gouthamn is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by chetankjain View Post
    This is not the right section for this thread, but still ...

along with the 18-55, 70-300 AF VR lens will be a very good addition IMO
    the 55-70mm missing is not much actually, a step forward or back will cover that range

70-300 VR is a wonderful lens, and is fast for action too .. only very low light might require a f2.8 lens .. else u have the entire range covered from 18mm (wide) to 300mm,

U could also get the 70-300G for about 150USD but that will not autofocus .. so go for the VR lens
    Yes I agree with you Chetan, But I think 70-300 AF will not auto focus on D3100 and need AF-S lens for it. And I think Bitto is talking about 70-330 AF and not AF-S.

Am I right Bitto.
    Last edited by gouthamn; 12-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Nikon D5100 with 18-55 AF-S
    MyBlog