Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    LyubovStrauss is offline I'm new here!

Default Flash diffuser for low- light event photography indoor

What flash diffuser you are using for low- light event photography indoor?
    I am taking a lot of pictures at the events with very low-light for the magazine. It is Black Tie Gala and 500 people events.

I am using Nikon SB900, and Nikon D300s. Nikon SB900 with EV-1, is doing great job, and it is reading light very good. I still need diffuser to use. What about 45 degree angle bounce diffuser usage will help? Share with us your tips and results, your pictures with flash diffuser.

autofocus is offline I'm old here...

First choice for me will always be use of the Neil van Niekerk black foamie thing off a wall or wall/ceiling combination. If the wall colors are a pukey color, I will then use the diffuser cup at 45 degrees. I find straight off the ceiling without a diffuser to be the least flattering light.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

scootermcq is online now Ad lucem

+1 with what Vince has said.... flagged flash bounced is the best option.

If I can not bounce for whatever reason, I go to a bounce card like this one for $5

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

I used it in this room with the pukey green walls and ceiling.... bounce was not an option:

This is a flagged & bounced flash on camera:
    Last edited by scootermcq; 03-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Thank you for the comments. It is good tips for wedding photography.

I have to take 200 pictures in 2 hours and photographed 300-500 people at Black Tie gala.The event only two hours,and I have to capture every moment, and every face. I am taking pictures one after another without stop, and every second. The flash has to be recharge very quick this is why I use direct flash and I don't wait long that flash will recharge. Each picture has 3 or 6 people, 10 people. The ceiling is very high. It is no white wall around to bounce the light. I shoot direct flash and change BS900 with -03, -07 EV. It is not bad but I need more light on the background. I spent several days searching for answers online and I didn't find the one which could work for me. When I shoot group of people I use direct flash. I bounce flash in white card pint to the celling when I am taking room, interior pictures. I don't like bounce flash all the time on the ceiling. SB 900 is big, and tall. It is tower above your head to hold and get sharp pictures. It is not easy to do in light. I have to sale every picture I took, and every image should be sharp and perfect. When I am using direct flash taking group photos indoor low light I like contrast and sharpness or the images.

Please view my pictures for STL magazine
    Jazz St. Louis Gala, March 9 - St. Louis Magazine - March 2012 - St. Louis, Missouri

I bought Micro Apollo Softbox - 5 x 8" (13 x 20cm) from B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
    I should have it in a few days. I will tested and let you know.

I just found this video which I would like to share with you. I will get this product.
    Bounce Flash Photography - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by LyubovStrauss View Post
    I just found this video which I would like to share with you. I will get this product.
    Bounce Flash Photography - YouTube
    OK, I would make it (actually I did) for 5 bucks vs 30, but to each their own
    Scott

Scott,
    I called BH photo to purchase LumiQuest MidiBouncer, and person on a phone told me that I shouldn't buy this product. He doesn't like it and he shoot 300 weddings,and he want me to buy Gary Fong LightSphere. I tested Gary Fong LightSphere Dome and I didn't like. It is huge piece to put on a top SB900. Any way, I did buy Vello VEFD200 Light Bouncer for Portable Flashes for $14.
    Vello Light Bouncer for Portable Flashes FD-200 B&H Photo Video

I spent money buying different product for the last few days. I have to find the answer because I have 3 assignments on my table and pictures should be perfect. I am doing photography from 1989, and my father was famous photographer, cameraman, movie producer and inventor. He made cameras and unique lenses. It is in my blood to take pictures the best as I could and I couldn't stop till I achieve good result.
    It is so much easy to use Nikon Creative Lighting system for commercial shot that use flash on top of the camera and get beautiful indoor pictures with low light.

I love the Gary Fong! I have yet to find anything that keeps my lettuce fresher or crisper
    Scott

LumiQuest is offline I'm new here!

Default LumiQuest says ...

Of course it's disappointing to have a dealer actually reacting negatively to a request for one of our products and recommending a compeditors product.

It IS a bit ironic that the customer tried and didn't like the recommended product and decided on an obvious knock-off of the LumiQuest item. From the looks of it, I'm guessing no effort goes into making a quality, color balanced, fully guaranteed product ... which is what you get with LumiQuest.

Our 25 yr. history and reputation was recently chronicled in this article Happy 25th Anniversary, LumiQuest! from Adorama Learning Center .

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I wouldn't want to trust my photography work to it!

Quest

Darren,
    I will be using Lumiquest Soft Box LumiQuest SoftBox - LumiQuest with direct flash tomorrow at the event.
    I got great results in 2009 and I bought velcro strap and using soft box with my SB900, direct flash. I was looking for removable band around the flash because I don't want have permenent velcro tape on my SB900. I love SB900, and it is great flash. The event is tomorrow, and I will post my comments after event.
    I realize that I couldn't use the bouncer, diffuser. Soft Box will work great.

I found one more link which I would like to share with you. Great Idea and great photography.
    Watch video
    How to mount Strobella flash diffuser.mov - YouTube
    www.strobella.com
    www.strobella.com
    www.strobella.com

Page 1 of 2 12 Last