Close
Close
    GMAN is offline dPS Forum Member

Default looking for simple lighting kits for home studio!

I recently purchased a Canon XSI and really enjoy taking photos...I'd really like to purchase some basic studio lighting...I've read several posts and I have some questions...What would my minimum wattage for the lighting be?...I see several packages that state, 2000 watts, barn doors, spot lights, soft boxes, etc, etc..! II know that more wattage the brighter the light..I'm just looking to do this as a hobby, but I have no idea what wattage for the lights, I would need?

Again, new to this and would really like to purchase the right equipment the first time!...I also am concerned about my flash, and the ability to coordinate the strobes with my camera!.Also, some of the strobe or lights come with cooling fans. What are the best models to purchase with those features?http://digital-photography-school.co...lies/smile.gif

I basically hear that 3 lights are a minimum, but I've seen techniques using just one light!...I read as much information as I could, but I was hoping someone could direct me to the right equipment...I just want to do portraits, of friends and family...I have thoughts of bigger and better things, but again I'm just a beginner!...http://digital-photography-school.co...milies/eek.gif
    Can someone let me know where i could purchase some of these items, used, new, I'm not concerned it its used, as long as its functional..! Any additional information would be appreciated.!

equilution is offline dPS +1000 Club

Welcome to DPS, GMAN!! How much do you want to spend on lighting? I got my setup for $500 off of ebay, and they've been incredible!! You can check out my gear page below to see what's included. You can get by with one good light box and an assortment of reflectors if need be. I'll send you a link to the one I bought on ebay if you'd like to take a look. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks equilution -

I will check out Ebay and look into it!..I've seen one on ebay for around $450, but wanted to check with somebody who is skilled in this field!...Since I'm going to be taking photo's in my living room, what lighting wattage do you think I would need?..I read that in small areas, 600 - 1000 watts is more than enough?...

Default Studio lights...

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    Thanks equilution -

I will check out Ebay and look into it!..I've seen one on ebay for around $450, but wanted to check with somebody who is skilled in this field!...Since I'm going to be taking photo's in my living room, what lighting wattage do you think I would need?..I read that in small areas, 600 - 1000 watts is more than enough?...
    Here's the kit I bought on eBay: PRO 4 LIGHT STUDIO FLASH/STROBE 620 W/S MUSLINS SUPPORT - eBay (item 370217375414 end time Feb-13-10 13:20:13 PST)

I've been thrilled with it. Here are a couple of pics I took with it:
    Juicy Goodness w text

checkmate2_untouched (1 of 1)

Puple Crown

Two things: I had some problems with the wireless trigger. It's a little flaky, and causes the strobes to flash intermittently due to ambient radio signals. It comes with tons of cabling, so you can hard wire your camera with a 15' cable to your main strobe, and the other 3 will slave off of it. Very nice set for the $$.

The other is very minor. The light boxes are amazing, but they don't break down very easily, like some other fold-out light boxes. If you're looking for transportability, these may be a little cumbersome, as I'm sure you won't want to have to assemble these on site. If they're staying put in your studio, then they're as good as you'll find anywhere.

Hope this helps.

I appriciate your help with the lighting equipement!...I will probably purchase something along that line?

My main concern is the quality of the lights / strobe..I'm looking for something that will last with quality!....

Thanks Again,

M. Rodriguez

I've been using these for over a year now, and have not had any problems with them. I too hate paying for crap, but I've been happy. You may not need all that this kit comes with. If you want a basic setup, just get a 30" lightbox, and a couple of reflectors, and that'll probably do what you need just fine. What's cool about the strobes, is you can always add more later. Once you've synced to one strobe, the rest will trigger off the master. Just the flash of light from the first sets them off. I more reliable wireless trigger would be nice though. But if cables aren't a problem, you can connect directly to your sycn port on the camera.

Good luck!

Having been in the DeeJay business for years, I've learned that you get what you pay for. If you want quality, you have to pay for it..My problem is that I just want to do this as a hobby, but again we all want something that will work...I will probably just purchase a lightbox and a few reflectors...A few basic lights will work for a novice like me!...

Default Good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    Having been in the DeeJay business for years, I've learned that you get what you pay for. If you want quality, you have to pay for it..My problem is that I just want to do this as a hobby, but again we all want something that will work...I will probably just purchase a lightbox and a few reflectors...A few basic lights will work for a novice like me!...
    Good idea, G. You can always add on. Again, welcome to DPS. Please share some of your shots once you get up an running. DPS is a great site, with thousands of nice people, sharing some of the most incredible shots!! There are a lot of forums where you can just share your shots, or you can submit them for critique. There are weekly assignments and contests too! Take advantage of ALL the resources, and happy shooting!!

zona5101 is online now Molon Labe

You can go with something like Alien Bees, Photoflex, or Calumet Travellites. The Photoflex and Travellights are fan cooled. It's generally better to have more power than not enough especially as you start to add modifiers like softboxes, shoot through diffusers, gels, etc. Also very nice when you want to light up something big like a large group or a car. I like the flexibility of monoblocks more than a pack kit but you may not. 300 w/s is a good amount of power to consider for your mono blocks but all these companies have 150 w/s lights. I think you'll generally do better money-wise buying a kit. Sometimes the manufacturers run promotions and toss in extras or have rebates etal. You could buy a 2 light kit then add a 3rd monoblock in the future. Also with any of these brands you have a ton of light modifiers available so you can add all sorts of softboxes, domes, beauty dishes, grid reflectors...
    Last edited by zona5101; 02-09-2010 at 09:13 PM.

garry15 is offline I'm new here!

I think this link will help you alot for choosing studio lighting kits www.photostudiosupplies.com