Close
Close
    gaurang033 is offline I'm new here!

Default Landscape photography Gears

Hi Guys,

I have only one lens 18-55, I know it's not good enough to take a great landscape photos. But if still someone would tell me what gears i require to take a good landscape photos i would be thankful.

I gone through video tutorial on internet and came to know i need few filters, I already have tripod with me.
    1. CPL
    2. ND

Would anybody please inform me what other things I require, apart from another wide angle lens or zoom lens

milosh is offline dPS +1000 Club

The 18-55 is somewhat limiting, but it's not true that it's not good enough for taking good landscape shots. What's limiting about it is it's wide end (18mm) but not every landscape shot requires super wide lens and superb image quality, which I'm sure is decent. Take a look at my flickr photostream, almost all the photos were taken with Nikon 18-105mm lens. I'm not trying to say that my photos are great, just that you can do a lot with that lens. Those limitations will make you work harder to find good subjects.

Your tripod is your best friend.
    Nikon D60 + Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 DX + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX + Tamron AdaptAll 80-210mm f/3.8 Macro

Flickr
    Picasa
    500px

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

+1 to what Milosh said.. Tripod is definitely your friend.. And I can recommend a ND Grad filter. 18-55 is a little limiting, but you can certainly get good landscape photos within your lenses abilitiy.

This one's 20mm

Lac Derborance

This one 34mm

NIK_7275
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

navcom is offline Out staring at the sun

It's not the equipment that makes a photographer. I've seen my share of stunning photographers in my day taken with kit lenses including yours. It's a perfectly acceptable lens for landscapes and there is no need to spend a fortune on lenses to practice and become a good photographer. What you have will work fine.

I agree with Jon and Milosh...a tripod is a MUST for landscape photography. Get the best you can afford. Again, you don't have to spend a large fortune but do get the best you can. It's one of those photography items that will never go out of style or require you to keep upgrading...it is what it is.

And a set of ND grads as well as a circular polarizer are other items that will make your life better.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
    Landscapes and Light Painting, Nikon and Pentax equipment
    Eagle Vista Studio - Light Painting - Getting Started With Sunrise Photography
    "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus