Close
Close
Page 2 of 72 First 12341252 ... Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How I shoot the moon..

Neaty is offline I'm new here!

Nice tut and amazing images - love the second one, the detail is great.

Tanjelynn is offline I'm new here!

Default Moon

Thanks for the good advice, Arlon! I've had semi-decent photos of the full moon, before, but haven't gotten out for anything smaller yet. I will definitely try your technique next time the sky is clear enough. Here's my last full attempt with a 300mm lens, tripod, and remote control:

Bigger

Camera: Olympus E-520
    Shutter: 1/640 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO: 100

I went back and re-edited the original with your contrast tips, and it worked really well!

Harksie Photos is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Moon Shots

Awesome! I love shooting the moon. I haven't had quite as much luck as you though. I really enjoy the capture with the church. Just an amazing capture. I think that all of the captures are great but that one really stands out to me. Thanks for the images and information.

Here is my best to date:
    FULL MOON!

sjlarue is offline Is Bird Brained!

Don't forget to get pictures of the moon during the day. Sometime down the road, you might need them:
    Photobucket
    Duonglawrence likes this.

Gonzo13 is offline dPS Forum Member

Great tips on shooting the moon. Those are some nice photos too. Curiously though in the last picture you added the moon. Is there a way to do shots like that without adding two pictures together? Everytime that I have tried it I either get detail in the moon and everything on the ground is dark or I have a blown out moon.
    ~Scott W. Gonzalez
    Canon Elan, XTi and some lenses
    SWGonzalezPhoto
    DeviantArt
    flickr

arlon is offline dPS Forum Member

Merging with two photos is the only way I've done it. I've never been able to catch the moon at a time of day/night where it's exposure matched what I was shooting. The church shot was just a cloned in moon shot.

A comment on the day photo above.. Great idea but you might also try a few of them slightly out of focus to make more of an "as shot" illusion. I'll be looking for for some good blue sky/moon backgrounds.. (-:}

AndCity is offline dPS Forum Member

Excellent tips - thank you. I'll definitely follow them next time the moon is in the right place. I am shooting with a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18. Although I can't change the lens as with DSLR the zoom on it isn't too bad. Below is my best attempt to date but I am sure I can improve with your suggestions...

Moondark

CanonRebelz is offline dPS Forum Member

My father tried some with a point and shoot a long time ago, taking a picture of what you would see if you put your eye up to my telescope. They turned out pretty well, can't wait to see what I can do with a DSLR now.. just need to get a t-mount or something lol.

equilution is offline dPS +1000 Club

Default Love it!

That's a great shot...the larger one. I haven't tried the underexposure...will try it tonight. Wish I could find a 2x that works with my Nikkor 80-400 though. Any suggestions?
    Keep up the great work!

arlon is offline dPS Forum Member

I have the 80-400 too and several teleconverters, none of them work,

Try it at F11 on the 400mm. That lens is VERY sharp at f11! Turn the VR off and set it up on a tripod...

Page 2 of 72 First 12341252 ... Last