Close
Close
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
    NaturesPixel is offline Super User

Default How to Capture lightning, A mini how to.

Ok this is just a mini how to.. putting down what i learnt over the last few nights...

First things you will need..
    • Camera that can be set on Bulb (tho i admire those people like my auntie that can capture lighting with P&S cameras , If i can find the photo i have of hers ill post it )
    • Tripod
    • Remote/cable release
    • Raincoat/Umbrella
    • Big plastic garbage bag
    Set you Aperture to f11/f16 and Shutter to Bulb with camera on tripod
    set you lens to infinity its best to use a wide angle lens.. i use my 18-70mm be careful of your foreground... make sure your composition is pleasing...

Open up your shutter using your remote/cable i found out last night if i leave it open for a few seconds after the lighting strikes i get a pretty good shot dont leave your shutter long than 2 mins... if you havn't had a strike...

reset and start again...

the big plastic bag is to throw over the camera and tripod before you make a run for cover storms generally if moving fast will catch you unaware like they did to me last night...lol

my first attempt at this

with S. 35sec and A. set to f16 ISO 100

To night if it comes again.. ill go over to the grave yard next door to get away from our street lights... This is also just trial and error.. I will also post any findings I come across back here ^.^
    I was quiet surprised how easy it is if the lightning is coming in hard and fast with plenty of opportunities
    Last edited by NaturesPixel; 08-25-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    Cheers
    Leisa

Nikon D80 | Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM | Sigma APO 70-300 | Sigma 50mm macro | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikkor 18-70mm | Lensbaby 2.0 | SB-800 Speedlight | Black Macbook C2D
    Little pixels from my world . Flickr

skirtley is offline I'm new here!

Default Timing

The hardest part for me is to have the shutter triggered when the lightning comes. I will try you settings if we ever get rain again here in KY.

What kind of camera do you have??
    if you have one that has Bulb setting you can leave it open until after you get a strike...
    another idea is .. which i havn't tried as last night the lightning was coming in fast..

is use a Aperture of F16-f22 and leave shutter longer... you can also use a Black card to place over the lens.. to cut down on the light getting in between Strikes... but that does require better timing..
    Cheers
    Leisa

Nikon D80 | Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM | Sigma APO 70-300 | Sigma 50mm macro | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikkor 18-70mm | Lensbaby 2.0 | SB-800 Speedlight | Black Macbook C2D

jtailspin is offline dPS Forum Member

WoW, I really love this, We are getting alot of storm lately and I'm going to spend some time on this.
    If at first you don't succeed, give up sky diving.
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos on DPS
    Canon 50D / Rebel XTi, several lens, / PS CS4 / Lightroom 2 / Elements 7
    My flickr - www.johnslaughterbeck.com

mikem12188 is offline dPS Forum Member

Leisa,
    You're going to the graveyard to do this? I can't wait to see those photos. They have to be spectacular just from the location alone.
    Mike

If you're just surviving, failure is not far behind. - Sharon Wood (first woman from North America to summit Mt Everest)

Quote Originally Posted by mikem12188 View Post
    Leisa,
    You're going to the graveyard to do this? I can't wait to see those photos. They have to be spectacular just from the location alone.
    No electrical storm tonight for us nor for the next week atleast ... ill keep waiting ^.^
    Cheers
    Leisa

mew
    mew is offline I'm new here!

there are two method for capturing lighting.
    1st method is you set iso like 100 or 200, aperture 11 and maybe more. And shutter at 10 - 15 secs. If there is a lot of lightnings, then ju just release the shutter, drink your coffe, and release again Prety wierd ? Well you need a tripod, manual focus only, and mirroc lockup.
    2nd method. this one is theoretical, but i'm tinking about making it.
    You need a very sensible light sensor, and prety fast relay.
    U set a light sensor, to the highest sensitivity, and connect to relay, that will trigger dslrts shutter Scheme is prety easy, ~ 10 - 15 mins of work.
    Such method was tried on microfone that releases shutter
    I go there, i go here - i'm lost :/ Litteraly lost, cant find ESC button in the park :/ But who cares, i have google

drec is offline dPS Forum Member

well storm season has started and i've been out chasing lightning. i use eos350d(8mp) and looking at what average file size do people get if shooting in raw?
    a good site with tips on lightning i found(as well as all things above) is www.weatherscapes.com
    after reading that site tempted to take the old film camera out when i get a new tripod.

greenmantle is offline I'm new here!

Talking

I only ever shoot in RAW but I have to say, if you don't usually do this, at least put it to good use when shooting lightning. The strong contrasts are better captured in 12 or 16bit colour than they are at 8bit JPEG.

Storm season is due to start here soon as well. We've had a few through but I keep finding myself in too lazy a mood to do anything other than capture from my back windows. Most of my better storm chase shots land here: in my gallery, including my favorite digital multiple exposure taken from home:

This was shot using the following settings for all of the required shots, all from the same static point in that space of about two minutes. Taken using very short exposure times due to the high frequency of the lightning and because of the very bright lights from the homes in the near vicinity.
    EXIF:
    DateTime Original: 2007:10:08 18:20:37
    Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
    Exposure Bias: -0.66666666666667 EV
    Exposure Mode: 1
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Exposure Time: 1/0 sec
    FNumber: f 7.1
    File Source: Digital Still Camera
    Flash: No Flash
    Focal length: 18 mm
    Gain Control: 0
    ISO: 200
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Max Aperture: f 3.5
    Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
    Model: NIKON D70
    Mark Greenmantle, Brisbane, Australia greenmantle.biz
    Freelance shooter (editorial/commercial/weddings), Production Manager at Digilab Professional

rikkersc is offline dPS Forum Member

How do you get the sky color to be more on the blue side, as in the examples so far in this thread?
    When I take lightning shots my sky is always black. Or, in a few of them the sky had a sepia tone to it. Like the one below:
    Lightning 6
    Camera:Canon 300D, Canon 30D Lenses:Canon EFS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6|Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO Macro| Bower AF Superwide .42x fisheyeOther:Sunpak PF30X external flash

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last