Close
Close
    benttop is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Super Moon with bird in tree

I have had this concept in mind for a long time, and had taken some of the elements in preparation for the main event, the appearance of the Super Moon in March of 2011.

The first shot was of the bird, on the beach in Puerto Vallarta in 2004, taken with my deceased Canon EOS 20D. The second image was the tree, taken with my Canon G12 in 2011 while I shot Mt. Rainier with my other camera. The third was the Super Moon, shot with the Canon EOS 5D2.

For the bird and the tree, I used the color selector to capture just the subject and popped it onto a new layer using Control-J, then copied that and pasted as a layer on the SuperMoon image. I had to do some scaling to get things to come out right. On the tree I was fortunate that the edges of the branches appeared illuminated by the color selection process - the result of pure dumb luck.

Here is the finished image:

You can see the full size image here.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    1/100s
    f/8.0
    400.0mm
    iso100
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Steve Cavanaugh
    www.pbase.com/benttop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dubaiphotography is offline I'm new here!

Default i want suggestion

Nice pic----
    i m very passionate photographer but i have no idea about Photoshop could you give me some suggestion how i learn Photoshop and suggest me some material which is helpful for me learning Photoshop ..???

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphotography View Post
    Nice pic----
    i m very passionate photographer but i have no idea about Photoshop could you give me some suggestion how i learn Photoshop and suggest me some material which is helpful for me learning Photoshop ..???
    I learned it many years ago, through a web-based online training course through my company. These days, I would suggest lynda.com simply because you can pay for one month and take as many classes as you need. A month is very inexpensive there, and the training is top notch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Steve Cavanaugh
    www.pbase.com/benttop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

abarickman is offline dPS Forum Member

Very well done. I would have wondered how you got that shot if you did not describe it.

AJ Barickman Fine Imagery
    Photostream
    Canon 6D | Canon 24mm-70mm F2.8L | Canon EF 70mm-200mm F4 L IS | Canon EF 50mm F1.4

jc56 is offline old guy learning new tric

I'm not a pp fan...but that is one cool pic.......crap..... now i'll have to learn pp...i hate you.
    Camera Pentax Kr Lenses Pentax 18 to 55 pentax 55 to 300 sigma 150 to 500 Misc stuff that my wife yells about and I have a 2006 ford bird blind.

jaddict is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by jc56 View Post
    I'm not a pp fan...but that is one cool pic.......crap..... now i'll have to learn pp...i hate you.
    Every image has to be post processed, it is the digital dark room(I hope you are shooting RAW). Back in digital days if you did not use a dark room all you would have is the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by jc56 View Post
    Shoot in RAW. That is your negative. Have a concept. Post Process with a purpose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Steve Cavanaugh
    www.pbase.com/benttop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

penguinsoda is offline Call me Pengy...

Quote Originally Posted by jaddict View Post
    Every image has to be post processed, it is the digital dark room(I hope you are shooting RAW). Back in digital days if you did not use a dark room all you would have is the negatives.
    I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say that EVERY image has to have some post processing done. It depends on what you want the end result to be. I've seen some spectacular photos that had very little save some cropping done to them. Photoshop and Lightroom have their place, and for an image like this (and I do love the result by the way, its a wonderful picture), but there is something to be said for a pure image, if you are lucky enough to get one.
    Perfection is nice, but the importance to me is to capture the memory before it's gone. While I know I can always learn more and do better, I'll be happy as long as I don't miss the important stuff along the way

My ViewBug

farmographer is offline point shoot repeat

love love love it!!
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    proud owner of my first DSLR
    Nikon D3100 18-55 lens

Kelly Moore camera bag
    http://kellymoorebag.com/index.php?ref=381