Close
Close
    buphotography is offline I'm new here!

Default Canon t3i manual mode

Shooting with a Canon t3i and in manual mode, i'm learning this manual thing ...

Heres my frustration, I can set the shutter speed just by moving the dial left and right

Here comes the n00b part of this topic

I know how to adjust the shutter speed, pressing Av adjusts the aperture (f-stop) (usually in 5.6 for me, don't ask why) I know how to set the ISO by pressing the "Q" button

NOW here is what I don't understand how to do, beneath all of these features you have this

-3..2..1..0..1..2..+3

How do I adjust this in manual mode?

When I shoot outdoors, action shots where I am focusing in on the moving subject only I use these settings 1/4000 shutter speed 5.6 aperture and 800 iso (usually) these help my images come out crisp! But I could almost swear I could adjust the "numbers" ... Oh my gosh, I sound illiterate I know. What do you call this thing -3..2..1..0..1..2..+3

If I could grab the camera guide I would but of course this is lost among the other things in my house that I should have in hand.

That's the Exposure Compensation scale. It's how you tell the camera that *after* it picks what the exposure should be, adjust it by the amount on the scale.

The camera can pick an exposure when it's in control of at least one variable. So, when you're in Av mode, you set the aperture but the camera selects the shutter speed. The EC scale setting is used in that case. Likewise, when you're in shutter mode (Tv) you pick shutter, it picks aperture and includes the EC adjustment.

Now, your question about manual. You're picking both shutter and aperture. One could argue that the camera might still be able to pick ISO (and sometimes it does, but that's a different story). The point is, you're no longer asking the camera to participate in the exposure guessing game. There's no longer a need for the EC scale.

The "picture" or "icon" modes (and green box) are automatic modes and the camera picks everything. The P, Av and Tv modes are semi-automatic. The EC scale is useful in those cases. M is manual and the EC no longer applies.

However, when in manual mode, the EC scale takes on a new life. It shows you how far over- or under-exposed *it* thinks you are. Some manufacturers label this feature "metered manual".
    Dave.
    It's not even about the pictures; it's about the memories and communication.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by buphotography View Post
    ... you have this

-3..2..1..0..1..2..+3

How do I adjust this in manual mode?
    By changing your exposure settings.

As the previous poster noted, when you're in an auto mode, the camera's autoexposure system automatically adjust your settings and puts the needle on "0"--which is where the autoexposure system, based on the metering information, thinks a good exposure is.

If you're not in Manual, you can adjust that with the +/- AV button and the wheel together. Each number on the scale is 1EV (exposure value) or "stop". This is a doubling/halving of the light.

With iso and shutter speed, halving and doubling the numbers give you a stop. With aperture, it's knowing the full-stop f-number scale. But this is how we can equate and "trade" among the three exposure settings: everything can be worked out in stops.

In Manual, the needle is just your light meter, and sits where it sits, depending on the settings you've got and the amount of light coming in. You adjust the settings--iso, aperture, or shutter speed, to get the needle where you want. Putting the needle on 0 is doing what the auto modes would do, only slower .

... What do you call this thing -3..2..1..0..1..2..+3
    Your meter or your exposure-compensation scale.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

buphotography is offline I'm new here!

Thanks guys! This helped a lot today!