Close
Close
    fletch is offline dPS +1000 Club

Default Why is the site format broken.

A while back when the new design came in the max width for pictures was upped to 800 px. It looked great and was a positive move. I dutifully started re-sizing my images to 800 px before uploading to flickr so I could take advantage of this.

However the vertical ad bar on the right of the forum covers the right hand portion of these 800 px images meaning you can't view them properly. What is going to happen?

Get rid of the new add?
    Make the site wider to accomodate the add and the 800 px limit?
    Reduce the width limit to 740 px? (Which will be a backward step and won't go back and fix all the pics that are already 800 px)
    Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr
    Olympus E510 - Ok to edit and re-post on DPS only

Japaslavian is offline dPS Forum Member

Gobae is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Japaslavian View Post
    Haha! That's what I was going to say. I use AdBlockPlus and don't see any ads (nor have any problems with the sizing).
    Dan Crowther - N6006, D40X | 50mm 1.8f | 18-55mm kit | 55-200 VR | 70-300mm Quantaray

Gallery
    52 Week Blog

I don't always use firefox so add block is not an option. Anyway, the format would still be broken but the add would just be hidden.
    Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr

dakwegmo is offline instigator

Yep. I use adblock, so there's 190 unused pixels on the right side of all the threads, while the main message window is only 755 pixels. That means at least 45px of every 800 pixel wide image is getting cut off. It looks silly having the image stretch outside the message box, but with adblock I don't have ads covering part of the image.
    [ԯ] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

jiminyClickit is offline Honorary Critique Moderator

When the new site design was introduced and the image size upped to 800 pixels longest side, it was mentioned (although only once) that it was experimental, that we'd try it for a while and see how it played.

Obviously, later the ads were positioned so that they unfortunately cover some of that extra width in the 800px size. I started sizing everything at 725px (just gives a comfortable fit) and found life went on as usual. Until some other design change, you may want to adjust your images to the new size, and enjoy the free site the ads provide. We're a work-in-progress, so your patience is always appreciated.
    OK to re-edit and repost photo(s) only on DPS forums
    Proud user of a Fuji FP S3100, Nikon P90, a Canon T3i, and persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminyClickit View Post
    When the new site design was introduced and the image size upped to 800 pixels longest side, it was mentioned (although only once) that it was experimental, that we'd try it for a while and see how it played.

Obviously, later the ads were positioned so that they unfortunately cover some of that extra width in the 800px size. I started sizing everything at 725px (just gives a comfortable fit) and found life went on as usual. Until some other design change, you may want to adjust your images to the new size, and enjoy the free site the ads provide. We're a work-in-progress, so your patience is always appreciated.
    It's not the adds that are anoying. They are a fact of life and as long as they don't get in the way too much they are fine. However it is proper frustrating to have to start using yet another size for images.

A word from Darren, Sime or Saralonde letting us know if the official limit has now been reduced or if the new add location is a temporary test would help.
    Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr

jiminyClickit is offline Honorary Critique Moderator

Work in progress, all I know. And for now, it's just - use what works best. 800 is still the limit, and you can use anything else you like below that.
    OK to re-edit and repost photo(s) only on DPS forums
    Proud user of a Fuji FP S3100, Nikon P90, a Canon T3i, and persistence.

Thanks Jiminy - Helpful as ever.
    Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr