Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    slimgoodie_5 is offline I'm new here!

Default Photography Certificate

Hello everyone

I was considering getting a photography certificate and start earning some money by becoming a photographer. I was wondering is this a good way to start? If not I am open to suggestions.
    Jones

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Learning to take photos is always a good place to start. I'm not a believer in certificates, I'm a believer in actual hard proof : photos that tell stories, photos that invoke emotion... Not a piece of paper with a "this person is a photographer" badge on it.

That said, I think there should be some kind of "proficiency certificate" for people that want to call themselves professionals, if they're going to take peoples money and provide a service - same as with everything.

sorry - you caught me on the wrong side of a discussion about micro$oft examinations and certification.

dPS is a great place to learn! - No certificate required.

Sime

dcclark is offline Moderates the loving team

I'll bite... what is a photography certificate? Where do you get them from, and what purpose do they serve?
    David Clark Photography, project 365 photo blog, flickr.
    It is OK to edit and repost my photos on the DPS forums only.

It is at at technical college in SC.
    Whether your desire is to improve your knowledge of all aspects of photography or to prepare for a career in the field, you will enjoy this fun, practical, informative and very comprehensive program leading to a Certificate in Photography. This class covers basic camera techniques including exposure, depth of field, composition and how film and digital cameras work. After learning the basics, students are introduced to more advanced classes: flash photography, light and filtration, portrait lighting using studio photofloods, wedding photography and marketing your own photographs. The program concludes with a 9 hour hands-on digital photography lab where you will be introduced to picture editing using the software tools in Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Certificate students will complete this intense 44-hour course within seven weeks. Certificates will be awarded to students who attend all courses and complete all required projects and assignments. Photography Certificate Program is $649 inclusive.

What do you all suggest I do to get started?
    Jones

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Certificate students will complete this intense 44-hour course within seven weeks. Certificates will be awarded to students who attend all courses and complete all required projects and assignments. Photography Certificate Program is $649 inclusive.

What do you all suggest I do to get started?
    I suggest you start by reading this thread: Want to make $$$$! Educate yourself first

Man's that a good deal. Maybe I should find a program where I can get a certificate in Brain Salad Surgery
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

jprime84 is offline Glass is expensive.

There are a lot of potential customers who would probably put a lot of stock into the fact that you have that certificate or not..... probably not other photographers though

You would be surprised what people will believe if its framed with some fancy signatures on it.

I am not a pro, but I would think a strong portfolio will be your biggest asset, and a certificate like that is just reinforcement for people who like to think you were "trained" in your profession.
    flickr
    Canon EOS (500D) T1i, PowerShot D10
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, EF 24-105mm f/4 L, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Quote Originally Posted by jprime84 View Post
    There are a lot of potential customers who would probably put a lot of stock into the fact that you have that certificate or not..... probably not other photographers though

You would be surprised what people will believe if its framed with some fancy signatures on it.

I am not a pro, but I would think a strong portfolio will be your biggest asset, and a certificate like that is just reinforcement for people who like to think you were "trained" in your profession.
    True. Photographs are stronger than words. And you're only good as your last photograph taken.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

So what do you think I should do to get started? I need some advice.........help lol
    Jones

sdphil is offline dPS Forum Member

Well, I think as creative of a market as photography is there is room for people to earn even if they are not accomplished photographers.
    Much like the music business, I have heard MANY awful musicians that make a lot of money making music because they have an audience that supports their "art"
    Same hold true for photography. I have seen many images from famous photographers that in my humble opinion are simply trash and have a value strictly because so and so took the image. On the other hand I have seen MANY images from people who claim they are newbies here and else where that are awesome.
    I think that any education that increases ones knowledge of photography is good even if it is a certificate course. Whether or not you can turn that certificate into a profession is up to the individual and his/her artistic and business sense.

m.c.adams is offline Super Secret Member

I think that the certificate course is a good idea to help you learn how to take a better photograph, but I don't think that it is a $649.00 guarantee to a career in photography. I think a good portfolio helps a whole lot. Thats just my opinion.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 Last