Close
Close
    sueq54172 is offline dPS Forum Member

Wink photo games to play with kids/teens?????

I copied and reposted the original post here because it embarrasingly did not get any replies where it was originally. I hope it was ok to do so. I could use the creative ideas of you wonderfully artistic photographers!

"I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not, please move me...but I've been asked to do a mini workshop for my small hometown community kids. I figured I could just cover the basics for the teaching part and then fill the rest of the workshop up with games and photography activities. Then later have a photo contest of some sort, put together a kids photo gallery open to the public, and give each kid a photo collage of the photos they've taken while they attended the workshops. (Depending on the funding that is) I was wondering if any of you had any idea on some photography games/activities that would be appropriate for kids ages 10-16.

Here are a few things I've come up with, but it's not much...just need help brainstorming:

-photo scavenger hunt
    -human camera-pairs-one child stands behind covering the other's eyes. When the other child says open, the eyes are uncovered to reveal a "photo" (simulating the shutter of the camera being open)-the child explains why he/she took that particular "photo"--switch place, repeat
    -"I-Spy"-different themes for different days"

Thanks guys,
    Suzette

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

I do like the photo scavenger hunt and the "I spy" ideas.

What about a game where you take a picture and have them take a picture that makes them think of the one you took (kind of like the I Spy game on the forums, but it could let you move it a little quicker). So, if you say brought in a picture of a tree reflected in a lake, they kids might take a picture of a tree or a reflection or water, or something in the same colours... So kinda of letting them build on an inspiration piece. Then you could make a collage of them at the end with the "inspiration photo" in the center and then all the photos that the kids took around the edges. Hope that makes sense!
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Major_Small is offline dPS +1000 Club

scavanger hunts are always fun - I particularly like the ones that give you a list of things to go find.
    Zooomr|Flickr|Big Stock Photo|dreamstime
    All work is licensed under a
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License unless otherwise noted. (meaning you can edit and repost my images unless I specifically ask you not to)
    All post-processing done with The Gimp

oldwolf is offline Full of useless info.

how about a guess the shot game?

the kids get 10 minutes to find something in the general vicinity to take a picture of and then the rest of the kids have to guess what it is they took a picture of. to make it more interesting, give them 5 minutes and see how fast they run to find something interesting to shoot. you can give them examples of things taken from different angles and such.
    -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
    -I'm a vessel of useless information; just ask my wife.

-Critiques and editing of my pics for DPS always welcome-

Djanvk is offline I'm new here!

Not really a game, but I'll send my kids off with my P.S. camera and give them 10 shots each and then we look to see what they took. And choose the best pictures between them.

Kind of fun to see what our kids see and think is something good to photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I do like the photo scavenger hunt and the "I spy" ideas.

What about a game where you take a picture and have them take a picture that makes them think of the one you took (kind of like the I Spy game on the forums, but it could let you move it a little quicker). So, if you say brought in a picture of a tree reflected in a lake, they kids might take a picture of a tree or a reflection or water, or something in the same colours... So kinda of letting them build on an inspiration piece. Then you could make a collage of them at the end with the "inspiration photo" in the center and then all the photos that the kids took around the edges. Hope that makes sense!
    That is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
    how about a guess the shot game?

the kids get 10 minutes to find something in the general vicinity to take a picture of and then the rest of the kids have to guess what it is they took a picture of. to make it more interesting, give them 5 minutes and see how fast they run to find something interesting to shoot. you can give them examples of things taken from different angles and such.

This would be a great activity for them too!

Quote Originally Posted by Djanvk View Post
    Not really a game, but I'll send my kids off with my P.S. camera and give them 10 shots each and then we look to see what they took. And choose the best pictures between them.

Kind of fun to see what our kids see and think is something good to photograph.
    And maybe we could use those photos all put together for one of our collages to display in the gallery!