Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Default Jasmine Star Wars - The Saga Continues...

I may be the only one here who is sitting back and munching my popcorn as this story plays out in the wedding photography world. For those who are unfamiliar with the story, Jasmine Star (Los Angeles wedding photographer of mediocre talent) and Doug Gordon (New Jersey) got caught plagiarizing entire blog posts from other writers: Downfall of Jasmine Star, JB Sallee, and Doug Gordon

Both Star and Gordon were scheduled to be featured speakers at the WPPI conference in Las Vegas in 2014. A petition was created asking the bigwigs at WPPI to re-consider their choices for speakers in light of the scandal.

For what it's worth, although I'm probably not attending the conference, I am in the camp that believes they should not be put on a teaching pedistal after getting caught stealing the work of others. I work hard writing my blog, and would not steal the work of artists.

At first, both Gordon and Star did not acknowledge that they did anything wrong. This week Star wrote an article on fstoppers admitting that she was wrong, and an apology. (well, a half-hearted apology)
    I Was Wrong. I Need To Apologize To Anyone I?ve Offended. | Fstoppers

WPPI announced yesterday that both Gordon and Star have stepped down from the list of speakers at the conference. Photoforward | We?ve listened: Jasmine Star and Doug Gordon WPPI 2014 Update
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

AvianStewardess is online now Because I Said I Would

May it be the start of a new phenomenon world-wide: consequences for actions. TFS!

windrider86 is offline Super Moderator

wow, I attend WPPI every year. Ive met Doug Gordan and he can be quite the um well, personable jerk. I'm surprised he stepped down

SnowflakeMama is offline My halo's in the shop...

Quote Originally Posted by AvianStewardess View Post
    May it be the start of a new phenomenon world-wide: consequences for actions. TFS!
    Consequences??? I thought those went the way of the dodo bird!

Quote Originally Posted by windrider86 View Post
    wow, I attend WPPI every year. Ive met Doug Gordan and he can be quite the um well, personable jerk. I'm surprised he stepped down
    Maybe they just announced it that way to let everyone save face.
    Selena
    Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
    My flickr
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera."
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

Lanacan is online now dPS Forum Member

He probably didn't step down willingly. I only say that because he has not publicly apologized for what he did like Star.

BTW, My favorite is the people in the comment section that are actually saying Star did no wrong now that she "apologized". /face_palm

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Michelle,
    Although I've never met Doug Gordon, after watching a few of his "Flow Posing" videos on Youtube, I got the impression that he's sort of a self-absorbed douchebag. (he grabs brides and moves them into position. OMG)

I've been watching his blog and his facebook, and like several others have pointed out, he remains un-repentant.

Don't get me wrong... as a photographer, I think he runs circles around Jasmine Star. But like her, he makes a significant chunk of his income from training and workshops. I don't believe a person should be teaching photographers if their integrity is questionable.

With Jasmine Star, it becomes ironic and sad because the message that she used to preach on her Creative Live workshops was "Be Yourself". I admire the way she handled her public apology, except that I believe she never would have made it if it hadn't gone public the way it did.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

windrider86 is offline Super Moderator

Yea, we were all hanging out after WPPI at the Bay Photo party (good friends of mine) and having a grand old time. Kevin Kubota and a few others were at the table as well.
    I was sitting next to Doug and he was talking about the show and and what not. So i said speaking of the show, I loved you on Creative Live (thought he was arrogant there and dont like the way he barks out orders and is pushy but hey, i was being nice) he looked at me and was so snotty and told me to mind my own business and how i was ruining his "dance"

Lanacan is online now dPS Forum Member

Yea, we were all hanging out after WPPI at the Bay Photo party (good friends of mine) and having a grand old time. Kevin Kubota and a few others were at the table as well.
    I was sitting next to Doug and he was talking about the show and and what not. So i said speaking of the show, I loved you on Creative Live (thought he was arrogant there and dont like the way he barks out orders and is pushy but hey, i was being nice) he looked at me and was so snotty and told me to mind my own business and how i was ruining his "dance"
    What an a$$....

PixSixSix is offline Sparkles

i was ruining his "dance"
    I probably would have burst out laughing in his face. Ruining his "dance"? WTF does that even mean?
    Whatta douchecanoe!
    Flickr: Over here
    I'm now a Social Media Whore
    The Twitter
    Make me famous: Tasteless Punk Rock

scootermcq is offline Ad lucem

Quote Originally Posted by PixSixSix View Post
    I probably would have burst out laughing in his face. Ruining his "dance"? WTF does that even mean?
    Whatta douchecanoe!
    For his online blog, I believe you mean #whatta douchecanoe
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Page 1 of 2 12 Last