Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My one year anniversary of joining DPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My one year anniversary of joining DPS

    I just realized that I joined this fabulous community one year ago today. Who'd a thunk that in one year, I'd learn so much about photography, post processing, and the business aspects that I'd have my own business now? I certainly didn't!

    Thank you to everyone who has offered advice, answered questions, helped me with problems, and critiqued my work. I have made so many friends here and you are all so special to me.

    I thought a fun little comparison in how I've grown would be fun. Laugh along with me!

    Taken January 24, 2009. I thought this was brilliant! How's the muddy BW conversion, the harsh pop-up flash, and the pinlights? Sheesh.....
    My Girl

    Taken March 30, 2009. Um, white balance problems, anyone??? And don't forget focus issues. Way to go, me! LOL

    Lucy & Ethel hugs

    Taken September 23, 2009. Intro to studio lighting...By George, I think I'm starting to get it????
    img_4910b

    Taken December 6, 2009. Almost a year of shooting and I'm finally starting to figger this thing called photography out.
    re-edited.

    I've been seeing so many new folks here, so excited about learning this maddening, wonderful art, and just wanted to say, be patient. If I can do it, anyone can. Read, study, ask questions, shoot, shoot some more, practice post processing, and shoot some more. It's a never ending journey and a constant learning process. I can't wait to continue digging in and learning even more...I'm not even close to where I want to be yet.

    Thank you all...I can't wait to see where I'll be next year. Hugs to friends, old and new.

    As always, thanks for looking. :-)
    Last edited by SusanH1970; 01-20-2010, 11:06 PM.
    Susan
    Mostly Canon stuff
    My Flickr
    Facebook - new photos always posted and always happy for new "likes"!
    Website going through an overhaul!

  • #2
    Congrats on your 1 year. I think you are an amazing portrait photographer and I always enjoy looking at the photos you share. You always have such positive comments and a willingness to share your technique so that those of us with less skills may try and learn from your work. Thanks!

    Mike
    My camera, some lenses, and other stuff

    Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      HI Susan and congratulations on your anniversary ... we all have a come a long way baby
      DSLR -Nikon D300 - Fujifilm XT1 - Pentax K20D
      POINT 'n' SHOOT - Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-150 - Nikon Coolpix P7000 - Canon PowerShot S90
      My Flickr
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/97253820@N05/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/9165063@N06/

      Comment


      • #4
        inspirational

        Thank you for sharing your anniversary. It is inspiring to this newbie. I did some practicing yesterday. Everything was covered in white and it was fabulous outside, so I went out to take pictures.

        If you want to take a look, here is the link to my set and comments/suggestions are welcome.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/seethel...7623119685051/
        Glenice
        When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. Ansel Adams
        Hear the Sound Pictures and Poetry My Flikr

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the inspiration.... i hope to do this professionally someday also...... Your pictures are beautiful.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberthompson/

          Comment


          • #6
            studio lighting

            Your portraits are great BTW.

            On the portrait that says "intro to studio lighting," what did you buy for your lighting?

            Congrats on your 1 year.
            Glenice
            When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence. Ansel Adams
            Hear the Sound Pictures and Poetry My Flikr

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations Susan... Happy DPS Anniversary

              Wow... you sure have come a long way... you are a fantastic portrait photographer and
              I look forward to learning much more from you and everyone else here.

              Thanks for the inspiration
              Nikki
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/njtphotography/

              Comment


              • #8
                Congratulations, Definitely you have made the best of your stay in DPS, awesome Susan. In a cuple of months i'll be completing my first year here, i think its time I look back and assess myself now
                AC

                My gear | Picasa 2001-2009 | Picasa 2010 | WWW | Best of 2008-2009 |

                Comment


                • #9
                  Congratulations Susan .... long way to go .
                  Nikon - NIKON D90 + Kit lense , Nikkor 55 MM AFD Micro Lens , Nikkor 55-300 MM
                  " When you photograph people in color you photograph their clothes ,but when you photograph people in B&W you photograph their souls ! "
                  My flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamnikon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    wait a minute! my portraits look like your first shot.....all I have is my pop up flash.....and pin lights.....I guess that is why I have not ventured into people photography....indoors......outdoors to a certain extent if on an overcast day...but that's it......a guy that works for me at Lowe's asked me the day before yesterday if I would be so kind as to shoot his wedding.....I just about crapped in my pants......fortunately, they are thinking outdoors.....very low key......not a fancy church wedding...he just wants pictures to remember the event by....but I am still frightened out of my mind......oh well, I'll get over it. Susan, you came on a month before me so I consider you to be one of the "old" gang that hung out before dps exploded......it has been harder to maintain contact but you are part of that family and I know that you know what I mean......we were only a handful at the time......It has been great watching you grow and I have got to go get some diapers as I try to figure what I am going to do for this guy......
                    Patrick
                    Nikon D40x; Canon sd770is P&S
                    Nikon 18mm-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses, Nikon 50mm f1.8, OLD Nikon 105mm micro f 2.8
                    "All of that beauty is out there somewhere...you just have to get out there and capture it!" PLF

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Congratulations Susan! From Snap Shots to Professional Portraiture in a Year! Thal's quite an accomplishment! You should be proud of what you've accomplished! Of course you had a marvelous Model to assist you!
                      Thanks for sharing your milestone with us!
                      Michael.
                      “Moses today”
                      “I will now take my Canon and turn aside and capture this great sight, why the bush does not burn. Exodus 3-3 (paraphrased)
                      Please visit: My Flkr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey, congrats...you "old timer." This calls for uncorking the bubbly. Let me just add one little comment about your comment of "if i can do it, anyone can do it"...not always true! You did it because of "the passion and desire in your heart"..and that's why you are succeeding. I think without that, the new owner of a camera will never be able to accomplish any level of greatness, and will probably end up just mediocre at best.

                        Cheers

                        Vinnie
                        Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
                        Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
                        My Flickr
                        www.montalbanophotography.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OMG Susan! That first one is AMAZING! ROTFLMAO. Don't get me wrong, its still a good picture. Even your "bad" pictures are good.
                          Pat
                          5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
                          You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ha!!!!!!!!!!!

                            See what happens when you keep your mouth shut, read, research and practice You've come a long way baby.........I'm proud of ya
                            http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                            http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                            (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by VegasMike View Post
                              Congrats on your 1 year. I think you are an amazing portrait photographer and I always enjoy looking at the photos you share. You always have such positive comments and a willingness to share your technique so that those of us with less skills may try and learn from your work. Thanks!

                              Mike
                              Oh, Mike...you are making me blush! Amazing I'm not. But I'm hoping to get there! And yes, yes, yes, I will always give positive comments and be willing to share what's worked for me. I need to pay back what I've learned here! Thank you.

                              Originally posted by Hayward Taylor View Post
                              HI Susan and congratulations on your anniversary ... we all have a come a long way baby
                              Thank you Hayward....I've loved watching you grow as well and always look forward to your posts!

                              Originally posted by seethelight View Post
                              Thank you for sharing your anniversary. It is inspiring to this newbie. I did some practicing yesterday. Everything was covered in white and it was fabulous outside, so I went out to take pictures.

                              If you want to take a look, here is the link to my set and comments/suggestions are welcome.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/seethel...7623119685051/
                              I'm so happy to inspire someone...I'm used to being the one inspired! I'll be sure and check your work out, thanks for sharing it here.

                              Originally posted by ambrya_nell View Post
                              Thanks for the inspiration.... i hope to do this professionally someday also...... Your pictures are beautiful.
                              Oh, thank you so much! You'll do it. Love it as much as I do and study, and shoot and shoot!

                              Originally posted by seethelight View Post
                              Your portraits are great BTW.

                              On the portrait that says "intro to studio lighting," what did you buy for your lighting?

                              Congrats on your 1 year.
                              Thanks again! Thanks to about 8 million questions to Ruthie, who has been phenominally patient with me (and I wanna be her when I grow up!!!), I've learned about a simple lighting setup that's a great starter kit. I'm using and AB400 with a reflector. If you'd like more details, let me know.

                              Originally posted by picnik View Post
                              Congratulations Susan... Happy DPS Anniversary

                              Wow... you sure have come a long way... you are a fantastic portrait photographer and
                              I look forward to learning much more from you and everyone else here.

                              Thanks for the inspiration
                              Thank you so much, Nikki!

                              Originally posted by atulsc View Post
                              Congratulations, Definitely you have made the best of your stay in DPS, awesome Susan. In a cuple of months i'll be completing my first year here, i think its time I look back and assess myself now
                              Oh, I can't wait to see how you've progressed, too! Thanks so much.

                              Originally posted by muralikrishna View Post
                              Congratulations Susan .... long way to go .
                              Thank you!

                              Originally posted by pjflan7 View Post
                              wait a minute! my portraits look like your first shot.....all I have is my pop up flash.....and pin lights.....I guess that is why I have not ventured into people photography....indoors......outdoors to a certain extent if on an overcast day...but that's it......a guy that works for me at Lowe's asked me the day before yesterday if I would be so kind as to shoot his wedding.....I just about crapped in my pants......fortunately, they are thinking outdoors.....very low key......not a fancy church wedding...he just wants pictures to remember the event by....but I am still frightened out of my mind......oh well, I'll get over it. Susan, you came on a month before me so I consider you to be one of the "old" gang that hung out before dps exploded......it has been harder to maintain contact but you are part of that family and I know that you know what I mean......we were only a handful at the time......It has been great watching you grow and I have got to go get some diapers as I try to figure what I am going to do for this guy......
                              Oh Gosh, Patrick...how do I respond to this? I guess this would be the best: You have been so encouraging from day one. I admire your style of photography so much and can't hold a candle to your amazing work! Maybe I can take a cute picture of a kid, but you can capture the world. I can't do what you can. I've tried. I just can't.

                              In closing, I'll have to give this cheesy joke:

                              Q: What kind of underwear does Patrick wear; boxers or briefs?

                              A: Depends.....



                              Best of luck to you with the wedding. If I know you, you will rock it, simply because of your love of photography and your warmth with people.

                              Originally posted by Chewys Dad View Post
                              Congratulations Susan! From Snap Shots to Professional Portraiture in a Year! Thal's quite an accomplishment! You should be proud of what you've accomplished! Of course you had a marvelous Model to assist you!
                              Thanks for sharing your milestone with us!
                              Michael.
                              Michael, you've been another one to encourage me...thank you so much, your words mean so much!

                              Originally posted by auto-focus View Post
                              Hey, congrats...you "old timer." This calls for uncorking the bubbly. Let me just add one little comment about your comment of "if i can do it, anyone can do it"...not always true! You did it because of "the passion and desire in your heart"..and that's why you are succeeding. I think without that, the new owner of a camera will never be able to accomplish any level of greatness, and will probably end up just mediocre at best.

                              Cheers

                              Vinnie
                              Hahaha....was waiting for an "old timer" comment from you.

                              Vinnie, what can I say but thank you for everything you've done for me. You've been my Randy Jackson (yo dog, you done okay but you could do better) and you've been my Simon Cowell (this is a horrible photo and you failed miserably). And you've also been my Paula (ya done good kid, you're going to Hollywood!)

                              ...and with your teaching on how to improve and what to STOP doing, you've been an amazing mentor.

                              I do have passion and a love for photography that is so deep. You helped plant that seed that day that you came and tutored me for 4 hours! If it weren't for seasoned photographers like you feeding the spark, there wouldn't be new-to-the-game photographers like me. You added fuel to the fire by honestly critiquing every shot I sent you, whether it was good, bad or ugly.

                              And then there's Cathy. She was one of my first photographers that I stalked. 'Nuf said. Her work is stellar and I hope to be half as good.

                              Love to you both.

                              Originally posted by private View Post
                              OMG Susan! That first one is AMAZING! : ROTFLMAO. Don't get me wrong, its still a good picture. Even your "bad" pictures are good.
                              HAHA! Oh, thank God someone ragged on me for that first one. I've been wondering if people have not been reading the captions?

                              Thank you, my friend. You have been my website and marketing guru, and I thank you for all of that crapola. But most of all, I simply thank you for your friendship...the simple and fun chats we've had, as well as the laughs, and your patience in dealing with my moods and wackiness! I'm proud to call you a friend.

                              Originally posted by Jim Bryant View Post
                              See what happens when you keep your mouth shut, read, research and practice You've come a long way baby.........I'm proud of ya
                              But I didn't keep my mouth shut. I PM'd you, emailed, you, and called you.

                              And you were effin' fantastic about being yet another mentor to me.

                              Even if you're kind of a weenie at times. (JUST KIDDING)

                              Jim's bark is worse that his bite....he'll probably wanna kick my ass for this, but he's a teddy bear.

                              You saying you're proud of me makes me a very happy girl Love ya, Picklehead.
                              Susan
                              Mostly Canon stuff
                              My Flickr
                              Facebook - new photos always posted and always happy for new "likes"!
                              Website going through an overhaul!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X