Lightning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning

Here are some of my lightning shots taken over the last couple months. I know the setup isn't the greatest on these shots, but these are the best views I can get from the dryness of my home. These were just 'learning the ropes' shots, but now that I have the technique somewhat down, I plan on investing in some rain gear so I can go out and get some better framed shots. Question... Is it worth trying to post the wires out of the second two, or should I just wait until I can get some better shots?

Lightning - 01 by highping, on Flickr

Lightning - 02 by highping, on Flickr

Lightning - 3 by highping, on Flickr

Wow! Beautiful captures. This is something I haven't tried yet...we don't have many thunder storms where I live, but maybe over winter I will get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing these shots with us.
    Canon EOS 450D,Canon PowerShot S5 IS, CanonPowershot A470,
    Pauline
    "The camera opened my soul to see all of the beauty our Creator has given this world to behold. ~ "
    For viewing in larger size, please go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pndbethell

Comment

Nice shots. TFS.
      Nikon D-300, Nikkor 50mm & 35mm f1.8, Nikkor 18-70mm, Nikkor 70-300mm VR, AF Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8, SB-800 Speedlight, Fong Lightsphere, Lally Cap, Polaris Flash Meter,(2) Nissin Di866 Speedlights

Comment

Yes definitely post the wires out if you have the knowledge. It will make a huge difference to the overall look of the photo.
        Pictures remind us when our minds can't!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys!

gingindhs: I think I will try to post them out. I have not done any post work to any of my shots yet, but have been browsing the before/after section of the forum and I'm realizing what a huge difference it can make to a shot. I may have some real gems that I have overlooked because they didn't come out of the camera as 'gems'.

Keenlearner: You really should try it. It's not as difficult as one might think. Some quick tips to get you started... First, shoot at night.... Day lightning is a WHOLE different game requiring much more skill (skill that I don't have yet). At night, it's really not that tough. You just need a tripod, a storm and some patients (and a timer is helpful too). I used trial and error to get the settings right but here's what I have settled on for a starting point: f11, ISO 200, then find the longest shutter speed that doesn't overexpose the terrain. In the case of the second 2 shots, I was at 13 sec exposure. Then you just shoot over and over and over (this is where the timer is helpful). With the shutter open for xx seconds, sooner or later you will catch one. The part that I have found most difficult so far...focus. It's so hard to set focus on something you can't see.
          Note: these settings are just what worked for me and may be a good place to start.

Edit: Safety is a big factor for anyone shooting lightning. Make sure you shoot from a 'safe' location
          Last edited by highping; 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

ok... here's my very first attempt at post...

Cleaned up version of shot 2 above ...

Lightning_2_After by highping, on Flickr

Better? Wow, that was easier than I thought... gonna really have to start learning/doing post processing!!

Comment

That is really sharp.

Comment

Image 3 after a little post...

Lightning_3_After by highping, on Flickr

I am really starting to like the idea of processing now... still seems a little like 'cheating' but I do see the advantages.

Comment

Very nicely done. Hard to believe you have done post processing before.
                  Stunning photos.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/cjj5573/

Comment

Thanks Claudia. Very nice of you
                    I think these were good images to begin my PP journey with. The lack of detail in the sky made it fairly easy to blend out the wires. I could see where it would get much more difficult with a more detailed scene though.

Comment

I too,envy you for these... always wanted to try, never really had the chance. Second one is my fav! TFS!
                      Nikon D3000, Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55-200, Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 and f/1.4, Sigma 18-200, Nikon 24-70 mm f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8, some ideas and imagination...
                      learning from and experimenting with 500px
                      randomly uploading all kinds of work to flickr
                      me and my journey on facebook

Comment

Thank you so much. That is a great starting point and I certainly shall try it the next time we have a storm. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the basics, and like you say, a little trial and error will teach me a lot I'm sure. :-)
                        Canon EOS 450D,Canon PowerShot S5 IS, CanonPowershot A470,
                        Pauline
                        "The camera opened my soul to see all of the beauty our Creator has given this world to behold. ~ "
                        For viewing in larger size, please go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pndbethell

Comment

Originally posted by highping View Post
                          I am really starting to like the idea of processing now... still seems a little like 'cheating' but I do see the advantages.
                          Not cheating -- enhancing and improving. You are the artist and you are creating the image you want. The creative process starts with what you do with the camera and continues with all the tools available to you. Job well done!
                          Mocha
                          Still and always learning.
                          Canon T2i, 18-55, 55-250, 70-300, Circular Polarizer, Extension Tubes, Speedlite 430 EXII

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha View Post
                            Not cheating -- enhancing and improving. You are the artist and you are creating the image you want. The creative process starts with what you do with the camera and continues with all the tools available to you. Job well done!
                            Thanks Mocha. I like the way you put that... doesn't seem like cheating at all now.
                            I spent the whole day yesterday going through all my shots and looking for post candidates.

Also thank you to gingindhs for giving me the little push I needed to process these. Now, the originals seem a little ugly to me

Comment

Working...
                            X