Metallic Green Bee (Sweat Bee)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic Green Bee (Sweat Bee)

This is a tiny little bee that buzzes around my flowers rarely ever landing and when they do, it's usually for a brief moment. They're only about -inch long from nose to tail and move at the high speeds.

I sat for almost 30 minutes waiting for one to land with my camera about 1 foot from the flower. Fortunately, my patience paid off.

Wikipedia says:
    The genus Agapostemon is a common group of Western hemisphere sweat bees of generally green or blue appearance (head and thorax always, sometimes also the abdomen in some females). There are some 45 species in the genus, ranging from Canada to Argentina. They superficially resemble various members of the tribe Augochlorini, which are typically metallic greenish in appearance. Members of this genus are commonly referred to as metallic green bees.

Some little tiny green bug... looks like some kind of bee
    Liltiger - Visit my Flickr page to see more http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/

Excellent - it seems to be very sharp in the right areas and the oversaturation works very well. What equipment did you use for this? And can you please print your EXIF?
    Joe Whitley
    Canon EOS-1D Mk3; 17-40mm f/4L; 70-200mm f/4L; 50mm f/1.4

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWhitley View Post
      Excellent - it seems to be very sharp in the right areas and the oversaturation works very well. What equipment did you use for this? And can you please print your EXIF?
      Thanks so much for the kind words.

You mention "Oversaturation", but, believe it or not, although I did add a little, there really wasn't much saturating to be done in post-processing. They're really that bright green. They're stunning little critters.

As far as the EXIF... I'd be happy to :

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
      Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
      Aperture: f/5.6
      Focal Length: 100 mm
      ISO Speed: 500
      Exposure Bias: 0 EV
      Flash: Off, Did not fire
      Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
      Lens Model: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (Taken handheld-NO tripod used)
      Originally taken in RAW format and edited in Adobe Camera RAW
      Liltiger - Visit my Flickr page to see more http://www.flickr.com/photos/83928012@N07/

Comment

Hats off to you for patience and good preparation. It has delivered results. Beautiful capture. You should be justifiably proud of this.
        Zafar
        Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
        Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

Comment

Interesting. Surprised it came out so sharp handheld at that shutter speed, I'm impressed. You must have very steady hands!
          Wasn't meaning anything bad about the saturation, it just looks very strong on my monitor. It hasn't been calibrated recently, though, so it could be that!
          Joe Whitley
          Canon EOS-1D Mk3; 17-40mm f/4L; 70-200mm f/4L; 50mm f/1.4

Comment

Originally posted by ZafarSami View Post
            Hats off to you for patience and good preparation. It has delivered results. Beautiful capture. You should be justifiably proud of this.
            Thanks so much... I do have to admit... I'm quite happy with it.

Originally posted by JoeWhitley View Post
            Interesting. Surprised it came out so sharp handheld at that shutter speed, I'm impressed. You must have very steady hands!
            Wasn't meaning anything bad about the saturation, it just looks very strong on my monitor. It hasn't been calibrated recently, though, so it could be that!
            No offense taken at all!!

Once you mentioned it, I did notice that it can be seen as a bit much saturation, but that's pretty much the real color of the bee... I just think his color is beautiful... but then again, I'm very partial to green.

My macro lens doesn't have Image Stabilization, so I've learned to hold my breath when I use it... the less movement the better. May I also say that, I too, am surprised at the clarity since they move so fast and don't land much.

Comment

That is an amazing shot! TFS!
              Angela Weirauch
              An ever expanding array of Canon gear

flickr facebook

Comment

Great sharpness, great colors, great background, great shot! TFS!
                a camera, some lenses, other stuff
                ---
                Please comment my shots not my english!

Comment

Originally posted by aweirauch View Post
                  That is an amazing shot! TFS!
                  Originally posted by lever63 View Post
                  Great sharpness, great colors, great background, great shot! TFS!
                  Thanks so much!!

Comment

Amazing....this is the kind of stuff I want to take! 100mm lens? Did you crop this down any?
                    Perfection is nice, but the importance to me is to capture the memory before it's gone. While I know I can always learn more and do better, I'll be happy as long as I don't miss the important stuff along the way

My ViewBug

Comment

Great shot, patience and good technique really do pay off.
                      Well done!

Jd
                      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 USM L, Canon EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 USM L Tokina AT-X PRO 20-35mm f2.8
                      Bronica S2 Medium Format, Nikkor-P 50mm f2.8

My flickr photostream

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                        Amazing....this is the kind of stuff I want to take! 100mm lens? Did you crop this down any?
                        Thanks so much!!

To answer your question, yep, 100mm Macro Lens. Sometimes I crop a lot and sometimes I don't... in this case, there really wasn't much crop. The bee is only about -inch long from nose to tail, so he's quite tiny. I wanted to get in as close as I could, so I set up (in a chair and the camera ready) as close to the flower as I could and just waited for the bees to get used to me there, as if I were part of the environment. Eventually, he landed and I just kept shooting and moving slowly closer with each press of the shutter until he flew away. I was probably less than 5 or 6 inches from the bee by the time he flew off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdflute View Post
                          Great shot, patience and good technique really do pay off.
                          Well done!

Jd
                          Thanks so much!

Comment

Wow, your patience REALLY paid off. Excellent work!! I am also surprised at the sharpness you were able to achieve hand held, without IS. If I didn't know I would think that you took it with the L/IS version.

I am a huge fan of subtle background aspects which enhance the image. Here, you have a perfect green highlight that travels the frame just behind the bee in almost his exact same orientation. It makes him pop that much more and takes the image from great to superb, in my opinion. I don't know if you enhanced that in PP at all, but it's just perfect.

Thank you for sharing this gorgeous picture of this awesome bee! I have never seen a bee like it and so it is that much cooler for me.
                            blog flickr

Comment

Awesome.. patience of Job Congrats! Very clear, great composition.

Comment

Working...
                              X