No announcement yet.

How I shoot the moon..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging with two photos is the only way I've done it. I've never been able to catch the moon at a time of day/night where it's exposure matched what I was shooting. The church shot was just a cloned in moon shot.

A comment on the day photo above.. Great idea but you might also try a few of them slightly out of focus to make more of an "as shot" illusion. I'll be looking for for some good blue sky/moon backgrounds.. (-:}
    My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

Excellent tips - thank you. I'll definitely follow them next time the moon is in the right place. I am shooting with a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18. Although I can't change the lens as with DSLR the zoom on it isn't too bad. Below is my best attempt to date but I am sure I can improve with your suggestions...

Moondark
      flickr

Comment

My father tried some with a point and shoot a long time ago, taking a picture of what you would see if you put your eye up to my telescope. They turned out pretty well, can't wait to see what I can do with a DSLR now.. just need to get a t-mount or something lol.

Comment

Love it!

That's a great shot...the larger one. I haven't tried the underexposure...will try it tonight. Wish I could find a 2x that works with my Nikkor 80-400 though. Any suggestions?
          Keep up the great work!
          Jim, Mayor of Cropodopolis
          My Gallery: http://jmartinharris.com
          The Mayor's Toys and Equipment Reviews
          J. Martin Harris Photography on Facebook!!

Comment

I have the 80-400 too and several teleconverters, none of them work,

Try it at F11 on the 400mm. That lens is VERY sharp at f11! Turn the VR off and set it up on a tripod...
            My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

bang, zoom to the moon

Funny that this thread should be sitting here waiting for me. I just got a Tamron AF70-300 f/4-5.6 that I use on my Rebel XT DSLR (which makes it more zoomy, I am told). The first thing I tried it on was the moon with a tripod & setting it on a timer so I wasn't touching the camera. This is the best shot I got (totally unedited, just cropped):

moon_crop

Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)
              Aperture: f/29.0
              Focal Length: 300 mm
              ISO Speed: 400
              Exposure Bias: 0 EV

I'll try playing with it in the Gimp & if all goes well try some more shots tonight. Great topic! Thanks!
              Cameras: 2nd hand Canon Digital Rebel XT | Canon Digital Elph |
              Lenses: Canon 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 28-200 | Canon EF 35-80 | kit 18-55 | Tamron 28-80 | Tamron 70-300
              flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmshc_kiwitayro | http://www.crowdog.net

Comment

Did you use MANUAL or auto focus? I highly recommend shooting a dozen or more shots all manually focused. AF never seems to catch the moon well. It focuses on the edges maybe, not the craters.

1/20 of a second at F29 is a big issue. Moon is moving too fast to shoot that slow. Back that Fstop down to f8 and start at around 1/250 sec.
                My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by sjlarue View Post
                  Don't forget to get pictures of the moon during the day. Sometime down the road, you might need them:
                  Photobucket
                  Fantastic!
                  :.:
                  `. Amy♥
                  "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid"
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Canon Digital Rebel XT::Canon EFS 18-55mm::Canon 70-300mm::Canon 50mm

Comment

I also strongly suggest using a remote to snap the picture. That way you're not moving the camera at all. I'm heading out in about an hour to try and get some more.

Here is my best effort from last night.

Happy Snapping!
                    :.:
                    `. Amy♥
                    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid"
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Canon Digital Rebel XT::Canon EFS 18-55mm::Canon 70-300mm::Canon 50mm

Comment

remote or self timer works well too.
                      My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

Beautiful shots!! You've inspired me. I'm heading out now to try some shots!
                        Bob McGuirk
                        Zenfolio
                        flickr

Comment

I am so lost as how to shoot the moon. I have a Canon Rebel XTI 400 with a 75-300mm lens and I am not sure what settings you all are using. I read that I should set it at 1/250 and f8 but how can I possibly set those 2 without one changing when I change the other. Another thing I read was to under expose and then bring back the contrast. LOST is the main word here lol. Please help because the moon is one of the most glorious objects in the universe to be able to have beautiful pictures of. Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Lost, set f8 and 1/250 sec for a starting place in MANUAL MODE.
                            Set your lens to MANUAL focus and focus by hand (camera on the tripod).

When you look at the moon in your replay display you don't want it to be white. gray is good (that will be a little under exposed).

Copy the pictures to your computer and open the picture that looks like it has the best focus (remember you're supposed to shoot about 20 shots refocusing for every one of them) with your photo editing software. What ever photo editor you have should have an option to increase contrast a little. That's all you need to do for the exposure, a little sharpening and you're done.

I use photoshop elements. Contrast is under ENHANCE, ADJUST LIGHTING, BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST. (+10 to +20 on the slider should do it)

Sharpening I use: ENHANCE/ADJUST SHARPNESS for radius I usually use 0.8 and amount is usually 30-50% range.

Hope that helps a little (-:}..

I have found a few lenses that just won't take a decent moon shot no matter what I do but most 200-300mm lenses work pretty good.
                            My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

Thanks I will give it a shot and post or question when I'm ready. By the way I use Photoshop CS3 for my editing.

Comment

Sounds like you're good to go. It may take a few tries but a little patience and trial/error will help a lot! (-:} Any questions, don't hesitate to ask PM works to.
                                My Pbase Galleries

My Deviant Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X