Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottles on Fire

Hi

This is an old technique I used to play when I was little in the Boy Scouts, but now with my DSLR i`ve got impressed.
    Basically the main idea is to let the alcohol inside the bottle vaporize, and then turn it on, so you can take the picture.

In the next days ill take more pictures with different bottles, I promise to upload.

DSC05074

Camera: Sony DSLR-A300
    Exposure: 3
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 50 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off
    Last edited by eduafe; 04-22-2009, 05:30 AM.
    "No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film (mmmm Memory Cards ). ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995"
    For more pictures vist **My Flickr**
    Gear: Sony Alpha300. Lenses: 18-70, 75-300 and Sony Macro 30mm

Can you explain what technique it is that you are referring to?
    www.alockintime.com

Facebook

Comment

Explanation

Sure.
      You need an empty glass bottle. Then you put a little bit of alcohol inside and shake it with the cap on so the alcohol get vaporized in the inside, after that take the cap off and very fast put a lightened match in the top of the bottle, so a big flame will blow out (Be careful!!!). And with a remote control take the pictured for at least 2 o 3 seconds.
      PS: Sorry for my poor English but im trying my best.
      "No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film (mmmm Memory Cards ). ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995"

Comment

sounds highly dangerous, but the pictures turn out really well especially the first one where the bottle is almost fully lit up in blue and you can see the swirling motion of the gasses.

i think this mabye one of those don't try this at home kids moments

Lovely pictures.

Be safe

Heathcliffe

Comment

ha ha, i remember doing this when i was in middle school, except we used lighters. We just turned the lighter on and it let the gas into the bottle. Course when we where showing off, we'd actually poor the gas into a closed hand, then right as we ignited it, we'd open our hand up and it would look like you had a fireball on your hand. Fortunately, non of us ever got hurt.

Back to the subject at hand, Very cool shots!

Comment

If you use 70% alcohol, it will burn slower and less hot than 90%. Also, you can use cotton swabs soaked in the alcohol attached to a wooden stick like a chop stick, you can use it to extend your distance from the top of the bottle. It's a technique used in what's called fire cupping. Keep water and water soaked towels close at hand to extinguish any unwanted fires.

Very cool effect though. Can't wait to see more!
            My Facebook Page

Comment

Ok, thank you for the tips, i will try them soon, and you will see the results of a slower fire.
              Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by msteaffens View Post
                ha ha, i remember doing this when i was in middle school, except we used lighters. We just turned the lighter on and it let the gas into the bottle. Course when we where showing off, we'd actually poor the gas into a closed hand, then right as we ignited it, we'd open our hand up and it would look like you had a fireball on your hand. Fortunately, non of us ever got hurt.

Back to the subject at hand, Very cool shots!
                mmm with the hand, i`ll try and let you know what happend.
                Thank for the advice.

Comment

Your english is improving well! A question, did you burn/paint the background right up to the bottle? Because you may want to pull off just a little bit.Otherwise the picture is awesome!! I want to try that sometime.
                  "One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind."
                  flickr

Comment

If you’re going to try, go for it, but my best tips beside for being very careful , its to empty very well the bottles after each time you burn the oxygen in the inside, my technique is fill the bottle (after the picture) with water and empty them, now you’re ready to do it again.

Good luck, and share you pics!!!

Comment

More Pics (Vodka)

As I promised, here are some new pics, i had a little trouble with the stamp of the bottles, but i will figure something out soon, till then... enjoy.

PS: Same tecnique, just different bottles.

DSC05092

DSC05095

DSC05094

Cheers

Comment

wow! I love this! going to have to try it when my goldschlager is gone!
                        Jessica,
                        Canon Rebel XSi
                        18-55mm IS lens kit
                        1.8 50mm
                        55-250mm telephoto

Comment

Very cool effect...............How about drilling a hole in the top of the cap and screwing it on. Then you could still light it, and then clone the flame away from the top and it would look like a cool glowing bottle with all the flames inside, with the cap on. People would have a hard time figuring out how you did it then. Great job.........thanks for sharing.

Comment

With the cap...

As Mr. PrimeTime suggest, I tray to make the same effect but with a hole on the top, after that I make my best effort on Photoshop and try to remove the flame and my hand, and this is the result. What do you think?

con tapa
                            Last edited by eduafe; 04-30-2009, 12:31 AM. Reason: I fix a problem with the link on FLICKR

Comment

Bottles on Fire

Great shots!!!!! WoW!!!!!!

Man you have no idea how much I have enjoyed reading this thread and imaging the bottle with the cap go BOOM LoL!!!
                              As I am a coward and afraid of glass will try it with a P.E.T. bottle and gasoline
                              HAHAHA!!!! That would be a shot to remember!!!!!!!!!!!
                              OK serious question...
                              Why have to wash with water the inside of the bottle??

Thank you very much , to be honest the shots are absolutely awesome!!!!!

M.
                              Canon Rebel X3 , EFS18-55 , Canon EFS10-22USM,75-300mmi:4-5.6III,spiratone500mm mirror lens, Kenko X2. 1200mm Matsutov mirror lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X