Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaped Bokeh!

Leaf Bokeh!

I had so much fun making shaped bokeh that I had to make some more. I realized my possibilities were just endless so I tried something new today- leaves!
    It's super easy! Just get a black piece of paper and cut out it out about the size of your lens. Cut the shape directly in the middle of the paper and the shape needs to be about the size of your pinkie nail or smaller. Open your aperture as wide as it will go- I used a 50/1.8 lens and set it to 1.8. Find your desired bokeh points (christmas lights for me) and wah-lah! watch the magic happen! The closer you are to the lights the smaller the bokeh will appear (the farther- the larger).

Oh and don't forget to tape or hold the paper over your lens :0)
    Here's a picture of how I did the image above:

for dps

here's another example:
    I heart Bokeh
    Last edited by amy-rose; 10-27-2008, 01:37 PM.
    Amy-Rose King -Canon 40D 28-135mm, 70-200mm Canon D.Rebel XT 18-55mm

Check out some more work at www.amyrosekingphotography.com, my flickr page, or
    my blog

Well, amy-rose, that just couldn't be prettier! Lovely colors and would have made a great entry for the leaves assignment (IMHO). Thanks for sharing how easy it was!
    Debbie
    Canon Powershot A650IS (Bridge Camera)
    Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.

OK to edit and repost only on DPS forums.
    If you're bored: My flickr

Comment

brilliant
      i've seen this technque before and have always meant to try it
      yours is the best i've seen yet, congrats on a beautiful photo
      My Gear:
      Canon EOS 400d, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS, 55-250mm f/4.5 IS

My flickr

Comment

this came out amazingly well......if i hadn't read your info i would have thought all the little leaves were cut outs......like autumn's confetti.....

this is great.....

peeper
        canon rebel xt, sigma 28-70mm

peeperita's flickriver

Comment

That is really cool. I love it. Very well executed.

AJ Barickman Fine Imagery
          Photostream
          Canon 6D | Canon 24mm-70mm F2.8L | Canon EF 70mm-200mm F4 L IS | Canon EF 50mm F1.4

Comment

Wow! Thanks Amy for sharing! I had never even heard of "shaped bokeh" before. Now I must try!

And what a beautiful shot!
            My Website: www.joscephotography.com
            Nikon D200, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm, 55-200mm VR, SB-600 Speedlight

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matt 5:16)

Comment

Thanks Everyone! I'm so glad to hear you wanted to learn this :0)

my blog

Comment

thats really neat!
                view my photo stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelleyrie/

Comment

I saw this come up in the newsletter and thought it looked brilliant, so it's great to see some examples, especially such fabulous ones. And thank you for posting the photo of your camera, that actually really helps. I'm inspired to go back and read the blog post now, as I only skimmed it the first time.
                  Canon EOS 450D/Rebel XSi
                  My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Very clever. I like the effect.
                    Joe D.
                    Nikon D90 18-200mm,50mm 1.8, Polarizer, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, SB600 flash.
                    "The artist is nothing without the gift,but the gift is nothing without work"

Comment

Shaped bokeh can also work well when used subtley. By dint of accidentally leaving the star bokeh disk on my Lensbaby, I discovered that it can also contribute to a picture when the bokeh isn't the main feature but just an extra detail. Eg. (click to view larger if you want to see the stars more easily):

A Walk in the Park

Wulf
                      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
                      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

that's fantastic! thanks for adding that!!! i love it

my blog

Comment

I have seen shaped bokeh tutorials here and there and been keen to try it myself, but after seeing that pic by Amy-Rose of the autumn leaves, I just HAVE to give it a try now.

Does it work well enough on a standard kit lens (3.5 aperture) or do I need to save my energy until I get a nifty-fifty?
                          My Blog - My flickr
                          -- Canon Rebel XSi
                          EF-S 18-55mm IS "kit" lens, 50mm "nifty fifty" prime lens, EF-S 55-250 IS Telephoto lens

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            Does it work well enough on a standard kit lens (3.5 aperture) or do I need to save my energy until I get a nifty-fifty?
                            Try it... but I think you might find it difficult to get such good results. You might have to make the cut-out smaller and that means your effective aperture could drop to f/7.1 or below... and so it will be harder to get the bokeh you are after. Nothing ventured, nothing gained though - do report back on how you get on.

Wulf
                            Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
                            Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Well.... I gave it a go, and you're right, getting the hole small enough apparently takes a bit more manual dexterity than my hands can come up with. I made a basic heart shape (more of a lopsided blob actually) and ended up with kind of lumpy-gravy-looking bokeh, but most of my photo was vignetted by the filter so the effect just wasn't as good. BUT the theory is sound, and I have a nice filter device all ready and waiting for my nifty-fifty which I'll be likely getting myself for Christmas.

Already I'm thinking snowflaky bokeh might be pretty.
                              My Blog - My flickr
                              -- Canon Rebel XSi
                              EF-S 18-55mm IS "kit" lens, 50mm "nifty fifty" prime lens, EF-S 55-250 IS Telephoto lens

Comment

Working...
                              X