Water Drops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etexjess View Post
    ok, here's mine...using my G12 P&S and my bathroom lighting..

not near as good as the OP but I am happy with it for a first attempt!

I think it came out really nice. Good job! TFS.
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lllKevin View Post
      Yeah, I used a spray bottle. Make sure it's clean. The one I used this last time had something in it and it collected in the drops. As for the bulbs, I have these.
      Full Spectrum Light Lighting Bulb 85W Photography Photo CFL 6500K Daylight Balanced Pure White Light - Studio Bulbs - EQUIPMENT
      They are nice an white and fairly cheap. The company is nice to work with too. One of the bulbs I ordered was broken upon arrival, and they had no problem replacing it...and fast too.
      I saw the link for the bulbs. May I ask what you used for the housing set-up to hold the bulbs?

Comment

ok, Second attempt...

I used a syringe for the droplets, my spray bottle just misted, making the drops harder.

I moved the set up over closer to the light also

Comment

Lookin Good! Did you put Rain-X on the glass first? If not, that will make it bead up really nice. Keep it up!
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lllKevin View Post
            Lookin Good! Did you put Rain-X on the glass first? If not, that will make it bead up really nice. Keep it up!
            yes, but the bottle I was using put out this fine mist that beaded up in TINY little bubbles (that's where I got the elongated bubbles in the first set..I used a pen to 'connect' some of the smaller ones to make big ones..)

I like having the control of the syringe...I have some ideas to try.

I am really having fun with this!!

Comment

Cool. If you wait a little bit, the water will start to come together a little bit as it evaporates. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it works.
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ametallichick View Post
                I saw the link for the bulbs. May I ask what you used for the housing set-up to hold the bulbs?
                Wow, so sorry I missed your question. I have light stands. If you look at the pics I took in the first post, I believe you can see them.
                Flickr

Comment

Self-Portrait in Waterdrops

This shot is from a few weeks ago. The technique was pretty much the same as described in the first post, but instead of using boxes to support the glass I laid it on the kitchen table and put a couple of heavy books on the end so that it wouldn't drop. I used a couple of cereal boxes that were about as tall as my face to focus on. Then it was just a matter of lying down on the floor, looking straight up at the camera, and using the remote shutter release to shoot what came out as a fairly successful self-portrait (in drips and drops). Oh, and I used glycerin rather than water -- it holds together much longer.

Shot with Canon 5dM3 with MP-E 65mm macro lens, lighting from several color balanced LED desk lamps.

Comment

I really want to try this out tonight. I'll post up results if I can get some decent shots. Great idea!!
                    All Photos Taken With NikonD5100 & 35mm Prime. Love The Challenge!

PhotosbyKyle.ca

Check Out My Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by dawson54 View Post
                      This shot is from a few weeks ago. The technique was pretty much the same as described in the first post, but instead of using boxes to support the glass I laid it on the kitchen table and put a couple of heavy books on the end so that it wouldn't drop. I used a couple of cereal boxes that were about as tall as my face to focus on. Then it was just a matter of lying down on the floor, looking straight up at the camera, and using the remote shutter release to shoot what came out as a fairly successful self-portrait (in drips and drops). Oh, and I used glycerin rather than water -- it holds together much longer.

Shot with Canon 5dM3 with MP-E 65mm macro lens, lighting from several color balanced LED desk lamps.
                      Very Cool! Nice job.
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by SLWRTHNU View Post
                        I really want to try this out tonight. I'll post up results if I can get some decent shots. Great idea!!
                        Sweet. I'd love to see them. Thanks.
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by dawson54 View Post

this is VERY cool and well executed...but it's a little SPOOKY to me!

love it!

Comment

I was not able to get a photo that I liked. Maybe if I used a lens hood, it would have been better.

It's all trial and error though right?

I'll do it again some point soon and try and make the colors really pop!!

Drops by xSLWRTHNUx, on Flickr
                            All Photos Taken With NikonD5100 & 35mm Prime. Love The Challenge!

PhotosbyKyle.ca

Check Out My Instagram!

Comment

Keep After It

Hey, I like this. Not sure about lens hood, but it might help.

What I'd try as well would be to open up the aperture to blur the background a bit more. Also, it helps narrow the DOF if you can move the subject at least 18 inches (or more) from the water drops. Both of these steps will help you narrow the focus to just the water drops. I always shoot a bunch of different aperture brackets once I've got the drops in focus to insure that I'll have as much of the drops in sharp focus with the background nice and bokehed out.

Also, I think I mentioned using glycerin. Fill up a syringe with plain old liquid glycerin from the drug store, put it in the freezer for a few hours to make it even thicker, and then just apply drops with the syringe. They ought to stay round for 20-30 minutes, precious time when you're trying to get all the other elements lined up and in focus.

It's trial and error all the way, though, so keep at it and you'll have it down in no time. (Hope I don't sound like an expert in this technique. I'm just a glorified spray and pray shooter, but I have messed around with waterdrops quite a bit, made all the mistakes possible and hopefully learned a little something along the way.)

Good luck! You've definitely almost got it.
                              dbd

Comment

Originally posted by SLWRTHNU View Post
                                I was not able to get a photo that I liked. Maybe if I used a lens hood, it would have been better.

It's all trial and error though right?

I'll do it again some point soon and try and make the colors really pop!!

Drops by xSLWRTHNUx, on Flickr
                                OOOO!! I like! they look like multifaceted jewels!!

Comment

Working...
                                X