New lens, Old technique.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lens, Old technique.

I just got my 24-70 L lens last week. I am so happy I forked out the cash. It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
    I hardly used any photo shop in the post. I upped the vibrance by 10 percent and used the healing tool to rid of some unwanted water spots. That's it!

The set up was a fish tank. 10 gal. $12.00
    A piece of vinyl ( from my sign cutter ) for background color.
    A chopping board left with aluminum foil wrapped around it.
    Strobist left 2 feet above tank pointed down at angle. Lowest setting.
    Strobist front right side angled up to top of water. Lowest flash setting.

Camera settings. f/7 1/160 ISO 200

I had a good setup and the light was great. I probably took 50 total shots. The amount of keepers was an excellent ratio. I could never say that before with my stock lens. Never!

Here are a few favorites. Please tell me honestly what you think. I know there is always room for improvement.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by djb28; 01-31-2012, 04:56 AM.
    Canon 7D
    [ canon nifty fifty - Tamron sp af 28-70mm 2.8 ] Sigma 3.5-4.5 35-135mm

Originally posted by djb28 View Post
    It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
    No, it doesn't, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

Love the pictures. Great work!
      Camera: Canon 60D Lenses: Canon 28-70mm/2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8 Flash: Canon 430ex with Gary Fong Diffuser
      Flickr
      Facebook Fan Page

Comment

Simply having an L series lens is never, ever going to give you a pro look.

What will give you a pro look is doing things right, taking your time, learning as much as you can and applying that and a ton of other things in the right way at the same time and not giving up after a year(s) of consistently failing.

That being said --nice job. I've always wanted to dable around in this kind of stuff. Just never had the time. Keep at 'er.

website

facebook

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
          No, it doesn't, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
          A reason as to why they do not look good would have been great. And the lens does help. It provides great clarity and even color tone over my stock lens.
          Last edited by djb28; 02-02-2012, 03:59 AM.
          Canon 7D

Comment

How arrogant of Osmosis Studios to make that comment and not back it up with reasons. How are people going to learn if those so called professionals won't help them. If you don't agree with some ones explanations of their photos please have the decency to tell them why.

Comment

Hi

I think what you have done is excellent for a first attempt. If you go back in this site for about a week or so you will see my exact attempts at the same - "Strawberries and Cream". It is not easy and I had at least 50 shots that went into the dust bin. Yes, you can use additional gear such as "Stop Shot" etc and that will cut down the failure rate considerably - but it is not cheap. Getting the lighting right with water is also another problem and you seem to have done very well again.

I would be interested to know whether you set your focusing up with live view or manual through view finder?

Canon EOS1DS Mk2, EOS5d Mk2, 16-35mm L, 50mm F1.4, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 70-200mm F4,5 L IS USM
              You can now visit my new blog www.tonywoodsphotos.com

Comment

I thought this was one forum out of the many where is wasn't necessary to be cutting and nasty. Osmosis Studios should go hang around dpreview if he wants to make and receive a bunch of rude remarks.

Comment

A reason as to why they do not look good would have been great. And the lens does help. It provides great clarity and even color tone over my stock lens.
                  Originally posted by Neils View Post
                  How arrogant of Osmosis Studios to make that comment and not back it up with reasons. How are people going to learn if those so called professionals won't help them. If you don't agree with some ones explanations of their photos please have the decency to tell them why.
                  Originally posted by lowbone View Post
                  I thought this was one forum out of the many where is wasn't necessary to be cutting and nasty. Osmosis Studios should go hang around dpreview if he wants to make and receive a bunch of rude remarks.
                  Did ANY of you read what I quoted? Here, let's try again:

It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
                  A lens does not provide a "PRO LOOK". There's no such thing. A lens may be sharper, or have better contrast, but it does NOT provide a "pro look". It helps in making technically nicer images, but it doesn't make you look like a pro.

You may now remove your feet from your mouths
                  adammontpetit.com
                  Gear List
                  500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

You’re right, DJB.

It takes a good many shots to get a nice water dunk picture. If you get a better percentage with an L series lens then that’s saving you time and is worth it for you. I think you made some very valid points in your notes. You are to be commended for your efforts and experimentation.

There are many and various ways to shoot through glass and Glenn Rand has a book here:

Lighting and Photographing Transparent and Translucent Surfaces: A ... - Glenn Rand - Google Books that shows some of his examples.

I don’t see an action shot like yours in the book but he suggests lighting methods for glass that may be of interest.

Your efforts inspire others to try it…..so here’s a different version.. it’s not the close-up of yours and is not processed after the exposure except for cropping.

No “L series” lens used so don’t expect the same feel or quality as your shots. I used a slave flash from under the glass top table to light the pitcher from below and key light on the camera. This might be something different that you’d like to try. f/8, 1/250th, ISO 200, 50mm lens.

Keep up the great work.

FrankSchmidt | RedBubble
                    ----------------
                    -----------

Comment

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
                      Did ANY of you read what I quoted? Here, let's try again:

A lens does not provide a "PRO LOOK". There's no such thing. A lens may be sharper, or have better contrast, but it does NOT provide a "pro look". It helps in making technically nicer images, but it doesn't make you look like a pro.

You may now remove your feet from your mouths
                      Uhm, if a lens is providing a "techinically nicer image"--as you said, sharper, better contrast--then yes, that does make an image look more professional. Or, as DJB said, it provides a more "pro look". Your argument is over semantics, and, quite frankly, stupid.

Really nice images DJB, thanks for sharing your setup and everything! I especially love the last one with the addition of the blueberries.
                      blog flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MattJohnRobinson View Post
                        Uhm, if a lens is providing a "techinically nicer image"--as you said, sharper, better contrast--then yes, that does make an image look more professional. Or, as DJB said, it provides a more "pro look". Your argument is over semantics, and, quite frankly, stupid..
                        The term "pro look" is, quite frankly, stupid.

A slight change in sharpness and contrast does not make a "look". It's not a "style" to be sharp and contrasty. its just a property of a lens. I also think any of you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between these images and those from a non-L lens.

I'll grant you: L lenses, for the most part, are very good. But to say that they are the sole reason for a particular look is just absurd.

If you're just going to call me stupid, you might as well just PM me so that I can ignore you properly.
                        adammontpetit.com
                        Gear List
                        500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that; I didn't quite get it the first two times.

I called the argument stupid, not you. But you can make whatever inferences you'd like.
                          blog flickr

Comment

It is text and the way I worded things can go either way. Not an issue and certainly no reason to have a heated argument! But the way he posted back also sounds a little off! lo.l Anyway. I don't care about that. I understand now what he was saying. A lens does not give you a pro look. But the awesome glass and overall mechanics sure does help you achieve that goal by doing the proper techniques. I just know that no matter how much I tried before this lens I was always disappointed. Especially after spending hours in Photo Shop. The lens I owned may have been a super dud! I know you can get great images with any lens. But to me, Personally. I was not getting a great ratio of keepers before I purchased this lens. And the 2.8 vs the F4 for me, priceless for upcoming things!

I have mastered nothing and probably never will. But I am trying to learn so much more than point and shoot. I just got excited at the outcome of his shot. It took a good 3 hrs to set up and shoot, Then another hour to load and edit the pics. I find myself thinking of more ways to set up shots and hopefully get better. Thanks everyone.

Also. I did not really mean because I have the lens I am getting a pro look. It is more of a look I admire from other people and the photo style I often stop and stare at. I see I achieved some of that look I like. Its all one mans perspective.Which Is why I asked for comments.
                            Last edited by djb28; 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM.
                            Canon 7D

Comment

Originally posted by Glayva View Post
                              Hi

I think what you have done is excellent for a first attempt. If you go back in this site for about a week or so you will see my exact attempts at the same - "Strawberries and Cream". It is not easy and I had at least 50 shots that went into the dust bin. Yes, you can use additional gear such as "Stop Shot" etc and that will cut down the failure rate considerably - but it is not cheap. Getting the lighting right with water is also another problem and you seem to have done very well again.

I would be interested to know whether you set your focusing up with live view or manual through view finder?
                              Thank you for your input. I did use live view. I zoomed in to 100% grabbed a pen and placed it in the water for focus. ( auto) Then I switched to manual and sharpened up a little more. Took it off Live view and started drooping berries!
                              Canon 7D

Comment

Working...
                              X