Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine glass with drops of water - no extra equipment

Edit: Wine glass.

My photography group assignment for this month was shoot a glass of water in black and white. This is what I came up with, it was really easy to do. I'm sure you could all figure it out but this is how I took it.

This was shot in my studio (aka my bathtub). I got a wine glass and had an assistant hold it upside down. I turned my shower on low so there was a constant drip of water from the shower head. I used the on camera flash to stop the motion and create the shadow. I had the camera set to Manuel; ISO 200, Aperture f4.5, Shutter 1/250. In post I rotated the image until the glass was right side up then converted the image to black and white.

This was my first attempt, it was so easy I might try more. If you try it please feel free to post your images here.

Here one straight out of the camera. It is one of the earlier attempts so the finger are really noticeable. the shower is not spraying, it is dripping over her hand onto the stem.

Last edited by YoMoe; 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM.

i dont get it
    An Intuition In The Heart Sees The Truth ~ Rig Ved

flickr

Comment

I believe what you mean is that you had a shower drip into the wine glass and with the impact of the drop it created such an interesting effect. Amazing shot!

Comment

That's a very creative idea! I wonder what it would look like with actual wine (something cheap obviously) , or just colored water.

asp7yxia,...What is it that you dont understand? Maybe we can word it differently so that it makes sense to ya.
        Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
        Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide879 View Post
          I believe what you mean is that you had a shower drip into the wine glass and with the impact of the drop it created such an interesting effect. Amazing shot!
          No, thats the water running off the sides of the glass. The glass was held upside down, the water is running off the sides, then its been flipped right side up to make it look as if its going up, and not down.
          Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
          Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

Comment

Originally posted by asp7yxia View Post
            i dont get it
            Originally posted by Riptide879 View Post
            I tried to rewrite the post to be clearer, it was late - I had switched to the hard stuff by then . The glass was shot upside down so the water is dripping off the glass.

Originally posted by faeriegodess612 View Post
            No, thats the water running off the sides of the glass. The glass was held upside down, the water is running off the sides, then its been flipped right side up to make it look as if its going up, and not down.
            Yes - exactly!

I'll add an image to the original post to show what one of the outtakes look like.

Originally posted by faeriegodess612 View Post
            That's a very creative idea! I wonder what it would look like with actual wine (something cheap obviously) , or just colored water.
            It wouldn't work because there is water running down the stem and all over the glass, you just don't really notice it. If it were wine or colored liquid it would show.

Comment

Excellent process and treatment!
              Kelvin
              www.kelvinespada.com

Canon 5D, 50D, 40D, Canon L Series 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 100mm Macro, 15mm Fisheye and too much other stuff.

Comment

I have to try this....very effective!
                GEAR: Olympus E-500; Zuiko 12-60MM 2.8-4.0; Zuiko 40-150MM 3.5-4.5; Olympus 50MM 2.0; Tiffen/Marumi Filters/CPL; Manfrotto Tripod

Comment

Need a friend to come around so I can try it - cool shot!!
                  Rose
                  Canon 70D: EFS 55-250 f/4 - 5.6 IS: EF 50mm f/1.8 II: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8: Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro: Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di SP: Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HS: Meike extension tubes: Manfrotto tripod and ballhead: gorillapod zoom DSLR
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rose_mcgillicuddy/

Comment

Very cool technique I have gotta try this. TFS
                    Website 'Like' My Facebook Page Site #2 Flickr

Canon 7D | Canon 24-70mm L USM | Canon 28-135mm USM | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Sigma 18-250mm | Nissin Di866 | MBP |

Comment

Great Idea!

This is terrific. I totally get what you did and love what you did after wards, by turning the shit upside-down. We just had a "water" assignment in my photog class and I found it the most challenging to date. Nice work!
                      Madly Madly Shooting (with...) Canon XSi | 50mm | 18-55mm IS | 75-300mm

Comment

Very nice effect and the shadow really makes it
                        Sony Cyber_shot, Fujifilm A400, Fujifilm S1800, Canon Rebel XS, 18-55mm lens, 18-200 Tamron lens, 50mm f1.8 lens, hot shoe flash, Vertical Grip/Battery Holder, Macro ring light, macro tubes, 0.45 wide angle, 2x tele photo, 4 tripods and one monopod.
                        Everything I own is Amazon cheap, but I am having fun and learning little bits and bytes very s l o w l y .

Comment

Thanks for sharing this shot with us!This was my result: Click!
                          Sigma SD14 + Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro + Sigma 180mm F3.5 DG APO Macro + Yongnuo YN-460 II + Hoya CPL

Comment

Wow! You made this sound so simple. But the effect is terrific! So I gave it a shot too. And loved every moment of it, though I had to reposition myself several times to get the offending shadows off the frame. And luckily for me, today my wife didnt tire of my requests for "one more!" Thanks for a delightful tutorial. Here is mine:Jaam Chhalke
                            Learning...

Comment

Absolutely love this!!! here's my go at it.

IMG_0036

Comment

Working...
                              X