Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Smoke Photography Tutorial (No extra gear)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only just noticed as you pointed it out powerpix.It's like seeing images in clouds

Comment

First try,no flash...doh!

I tried it at night but forgot the flash,I will try again with flash.lol
      Had to lighten in post and added mild colors,first attempts are memorable,thanks for the tutorial.
      I used 2 inscense sticks at once to try n get more volume/density of smoke.
      1/100 sec.
      F 9
      45mm
      Last edited by christopher88; 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM.
      http://www.mccormicksphotography.com
      Canon 60d,24-105mm L series,50mm 1.8,18-135mm
      Olympus evolt 620 and 420 with 14/42mm and 40/150mm 70/300mm zuiko lenses.Fisheye lens

Comment

I have to admit that I cheated and used an off camera flash for this.
        IMG_9337s
        IMG_9348s
        As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenoJunkie View Post
          I have to admit that I cheated and used an off camera flash for this.
          IMG_9337s
          IMG_9348s
          Great shots there!
          Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

Comment

this is great! i tried out the water droplet tutorial and came out with some cool shots. cant wait to try this out. now for the dumb question....how do you get the colors for the smoke? thanks again for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by pmed20 View Post
              this is great! i tried out the water droplet tutorial and came out with some cool shots. cant wait to try this out. now for the dumb question....how do you get the colors for the smoke? thanks again for sharing!
              Not dumb at all. The colors are added during processing by creating a color gradient layer. I use the free system GIMP.
              Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda.MFM View Post
                ... Apparently my version of Lightroom doesn't support the RAW files of the Canon 60d ... opps!
                Until you can upgrade to LR3, I'd suggest using the Adobe DNG converter for RAW files. If you convert your CR2 files to DNG (Adobe's digital negative file format--a sort of open format similar to RAW files), you can then open them directly in Lightroom 1 and 2 (and pre-CS5 versions of Photoshop), and edit them as if they were RAWs.
                I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

Here is my humble attempt, not too bad second go around.
                  Website 'Like' My Facebook Page Site #2 Flickr

Canon 7D | Canon 24-70mm L USM | Canon 28-135mm USM | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Sigma 18-250mm | Nissin Di866 | MBP |

Comment

Smoking!

Thanks for the tut... here's my attempt!

Smoking!

Camera Canon EOS 450D
                    Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
                    Aperture f/5.6
                    Focal Length 43 mm
                    ISO Speed 200
                    Exposure Bias 0 EV
                    Flash On, Fired
                    Gear: Canon EOS 600D - Canon EFS10-18mm, Canon EFS18-55mm, Canon EFS55-250mm, Canon EF70-300mm L IS USM, Canon EF50mm.
                    MY FLICKR

Comment

I just tried this out. But no matter what i did, in a fully darkened room, with my built -in flash at -3, I still picked up the background in too much detail. the background was about 5 meters behind the point of focus.
                      Learning...

Comment

I just tried this out. But no matter what i did, in a fully darkened room, with my built -in flash at -3, I still picked up the background in too much detail. the background was about 5 meters behind the point of focus.
                        Learning...

Comment

show us a sample, you'll [probably need to do some PP with the background. I found that using off-camera flash works better and there is less pp..
                          Nikon D7000:18-105mm VR Kit, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF, SB600
                          Web Design of Palm Beach
                          Photo Blog
                          Become a Fan on Facebook

Comment

Yeah, I don't think you want to use on camera flash since it is aimed at your background. Off camera flash is the way to go, but if you dont have one then you could try using an LED flashlight to the side and a little behind your smoking object. that way it lights the smoke and not the background. You could help it a lil further by putting a flag between the light and the background. Worst to worst you can always black it out in Photoshop.
                            As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death.

Comment

@ BuddhaPi: I unfortunately deleted all my shots. I'll retry this evening and post.
                              @ Adreno : Thanks. I'll give this led lighting a shot tonight.
                              Thank you both so very much!
                              Learning...

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial! I will have to try this kind os shot this winter.
                                Dats Photography
                                http://www.datsphotography.ca
                                Face Book http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dats-P...52096164807804
                                Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/DatsPhoto

Comment

Working...
                                X