Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Smoke Photography Tutorial (No extra gear)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Can't wait to give it a try.

Comment

OK, I tried this and got it figured out, except for one last lil thing. I cant get my gradient to blend smoothly to the next color,....it shows this line precisely where it switches color, and I tried everything I can think of to smooth it out. Even made a custom gradient with not as many colors and it still did it,... I tried looking in the Gimp manual and nothin. Can anyone tell me please how to get the colors to fade smoothly into the next? If it would help I can post an example of what I mean.
      Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
      Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

Comment

Playing with smoke really makes some intresting stuff.

Here are some i made a long time ago..

But what really make it alot more intresting is: make a mirror image and you can get something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by faeriegodess612 View Post
          OK, I tried this and got it figured out, except for one last lil thing. I cant get my gradient to blend smoothly to the next color,....it shows this line precisely where it switches color, and I tried everything I can think of to smooth it out. Even made a custom gradient with not as many colors and it still did it,... I tried looking in the Gimp manual and nothin. Can anyone tell me please how to get the colors to fade smoothly into the next? If it would help I can post an example of what I mean.
          I found that using the "radial" gradient method worked best. "Linear" tended to give the more distinct line.

Originally posted by CyberManiaK View Post
          Playing with smoke really makes some intresting stuff.

Yeah.........we won't go there ^......
          Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

Comment

Ah ha! I got it figured out now,....thanks,...I think I'm going to try this again,...but with something that gives off thicker smoke than the incense I have. Maybe some candles,,.. I have plenty of those! I think I might use my husbands point and shoot next time though,....his is newer and I think it has a better quality lens than mine.
            Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
            Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

Comment

I am new in photographing such things..
              I had try to shot like what u did..
              here is my shot, but i don't know how to color it like yours, I just edited it with the lightroom.
              and my camera isn't a DSLR, its just a point and shot one, it's canon SX120 IS..

Comment

This looks great!!

This may a silly question but was it the post processing that created the colours?

Cant wait to try it out...

Comment

Originally posted by KathMac View Post
                  This looks great!!

This may a silly question but was it the post processing that created the colours?

Cant wait to try it out...
                  Yes, the coloring is done in post processing.
                  Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

Comment

heres yet another, great project when the weather is gloomy!
                    Nikon D7000:18-105mm VR Kit, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF, SB600
                    Web Design of Palm Beach
                    Photo Blog
                    Become a Fan on Facebook

Comment

My attempt

This is my attempt! It wasn't easy. My new camera is much heavier then my old one so I got about 20 mins of shooting and then I could hold my camera up anymore!

This picture doesn't have any post processing except decreased dark's and increased highlights on the histogram because I had a slight lens flare in the left corner. Other then that I didn't change anything else since this was a JPEG. Apparently my version of Lightroom doesn't support the RAW files of the Canon 60d ... opps! When I added color gradient overlay the quality of the JPEG went down, so I wont post that (ick!). So this shot is pretty much as is, from the camera. Not bad for the first try...
                      Amanda McPhee
                      www.amandamcpheephotography.com

Comment

Wonder how this would work with a cigarette?
                        Jared
                        My camera: Nikon D60. Lenses: Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, 55-200mm kit lens.

Comment

Smoke Photography! Exploding light bulbs!
                          Scientography
                          http://www.lewisfielding.com/

Comment

Male and Female Smoke!
                            http://www.lewisfielding.com/

Comment

smoke

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial powerpix.I tried your water droplet one recently.It didn't turn out half as beautiful as yours.I've tried the smoke one now so here it is with no post processing.How did I do?

Comment

Originally posted by marline View Post
                                Thanks for the wonderful tutorial powerpix.I tried your water droplet one recently.It didn't turn out half as beautiful as yours.I've tried the smoke one now so here it is with no post processing.How did I do?
                                Nice work. At first glance it appeared (to me) almost like a set of lips blowing a puff of smoke out to the right!

Comment

Working...
                                X