Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I know that I am a good photographer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how can I know that I am a good photographer?

    I like photography but I never had studied photography.
    I only had read a lot of information for a photographer, composition, depth of field, etc.

    and I also "trained" my eye looking a lot of good pictures, not to imitate them but for to practice, (its like cars, you can learn watching how you father do it )

    these are a few pictures that I think are good. I really apreciate if you tell me what I miss or what I need to improve....

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/LSpecesar
    Last edited by lspec; 12-05-2009, 03:22 PM.
    Just learning

  • #2
    Its hard to go thru a ton of photos and tell you if you are good or not.
    You might try posting some in the critque section and in the Share Your Shots section. (be sure to read the guidelines before posting)
    I'm willing to bet you'll get all the feedback you need.
    www.alockintime.com



    Facebook

    Comment


    • #3
      ok thanks I will do it-
      I am not looking for good comments, I really want advices to improve my way to take pictures.

      again thanks
      Just learning

      Comment


      • #4
        If you show someone a photograph and they respond with, "Wow! You must have a nice camera.", then you might be a good photographer.
        Craig
        My zenfolio gallery
        My Photoblog
        Gear: Nikon D300s, D80 and a lot of stuff for them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Taallyn View Post
          If you show someone a photograph and they respond with, "Wow! You must have a nice camera.", then you might be a good photographer.
          I like it.
          Information's pretty thin stuff unless mixed with experience.
          Clarence Day

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lspec View Post
            I like photography but I never had studied photography.
            I only had read a lot of information for a photographer, composition, depth of field, etc.

            and I also "trained" my eye looking a lot of good pictures, not to imitate them but for to practice, (its like cars, you can learn watching how you father do it )

            these are a few pictures that I think are good. I really apreciate if you tell me what I miss or what I need to improve....

            Flickr: LSpec's Photostream
            There is nothing wrong with imitating the work of others, provided you are also attempting to make it your own. The best way to learn is to imitate the masters and those whose work you appreciate. Besides, it is the best form of flattery to those who came before, to have their work appreciated by imitation.

            As for how one knows.. That's a tough one. Get lots of critiques, don't be afraid of critiques. Sometimes, someone with a criqitue will say something that you feel you need to lash out at. Don't. Either take something good away from the bad critiques.. Critiques are always opinion. There is no bad way to do something but your best work will say something to someone.

            The way I see it, if a photo I post makes someone feel something, either angry or happy, then you've done good work.

            For me, the worst thing in the world is when I post an image and I get NO REACTION at all. I've found that there are two possible reasons for this type of non-reaction:

            1) the image is so good that jealousy overtakes the photographer crowd
            2) the photo stirs no emotion in the viewer.

            #2 is typical. #1 only happens on certain forums where only prima-donnas hang out. I try and stay away from those forums.

            The folks here at DPS are a good crowd. Critiques are usually spot on and are not usually mean. It is an awesome thing when we can all appreciate each others work and help each other attain that holy grail of OUR BEST.

            ..now I am off to view your photos and, if necessary, give you some tips to help improve your craft.
            Ray A. Akey

            Luminescent Memories Photography | Ray's Photo-A-Day 2004-2009 | My Flickr | Slices in Time Photoblog

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey again L..

              I took a look and added you to my Flickr contact list. Feel free to check out my Flickr.

              Now...

              It appears that you are where I was not so long ago..I think what you need to do is find something that really inspires you and photograph it from many angles. Do this with as many of your subjects as possible. This will help you find your inspiration, visually. This is because you will be revolving around your subject and, as long as the lighting isn't flat, the light and, most importantly, the shadows will change between each shot.

              Now, look at those photos you took and see which ones look most pleasing to you and then examine the image and what it is that makes it pleasing to you. Was it the perspective? Was it the lighting?

              The reason I say this is because, after looking at your images, I was not that inspired. That said, two images *do* stand out to me but they have issues which I would have compensated for, with my experienced eye.

              1. The watch. A potentially good image but the highlight on the top-right side blew out the watch detail. There are way to compensate for that. Using fill light and reducing exposure time is one. Combining exposures is another.

              2. The doorway. This one would have been a lot better if either the door opening wasn't overexposed OR if there was someone standing in the doorway. When and if you can, add people to your scenes. People add a dimension to a "good" image that can make it a "great" image.

              Those 2 stand out for me as your better composed shots.

              The car shots have potential but I think your shutter speed was too high for action shots. Lower the shutter speed and pan so that the cars are sharply in focus and the ground shows motion. sometimes it takes a longer lens for this to work. A wide(er) angle lens has the innate effect of freezing action if you don't stop down or at least choose a longer shutter speed.

              I hope this reply doesn't insult you as that is not my intention. I was once where you are.

              Lastly.. My rule #1: SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! The more you shoot, the more you will train your eye and learn the aspects of photography and your camera.
              Ray A. Akey

              Luminescent Memories Photography | Ray's Photo-A-Day 2004-2009 | My Flickr | Slices in Time Photoblog

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok you asked and I like that since I too would love more constructive advise on ,ine.

                I really liked the one of the clips. Good eye, composition, lighting and it holds your attention once you look at it.

                The others, especially the car ones have not as good lighting and the backgrounds are distracting. I would have positioned myself where that car was better lit and zoomed in for a more dramatic shot.

                Though I don't think that any pic is bad technique and skill can make any shot more interesting and moving. I think that's what makes a successful image.

                Hope I helped

                Phil
                Canon EOS XSI
                18-55 kit lens
                55-250 Canon lens
                http://picasaweb.google.com/home
                http://www.wix.com/sdphil/PHIL-PERIN-PHOTOGRAPHY

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by luminescent View Post
                  There is nothing wrong with imitating the work of others, provided you are also attempting to make it your own. The best way to learn is to imitate the masters and those whose work you appreciate. Besides, it is the best form of flattery to those who came before, to have their work appreciated by imitation.

                  As for how one knows.. That's a tough one. Get lots of critiques, don't be afraid of critiques. Sometimes, someone with a criqitue will say something that you feel you need to lash out at. Don't. Either take something good away from the bad critiques.. Critiques are always opinion. There is no bad way to do something but your best work will say something to someone.

                  The way I see it, if a photo I post makes someone feel something, either angry or happy, then you've done good work.

                  For me, the worst thing in the world is when I post an image and I get NO REACTION at all. I've found that there are two possible reasons for this type of non-reaction:

                  1) the image is so good that jealousy overtakes the photographer crowd
                  2) the photo stirs no emotion in the viewer.

                  #2 is typical. #1 only happens on certain forums where only prima-donnas hang out. I try and stay away from those forums.

                  The folks here at DPS are a good crowd. Critiques are usually spot on and are not usually mean. It is an awesome thing when we can all appreciate each others work and help each other attain that holy grail of OUR BEST.

                  ..now I am off to view your photos and, if necessary, give you some tips to help improve your craft.
                  That is why I found this forum, I post in other forum where the "friends" ignore the people outside his circle

                  Originally posted by luminescent View Post
                  Hey again L..

                  I took a look and added you to my Flickr contact list. Feel free to check out my Flickr.

                  Now...

                  It appears that you are where I was not so long ago..I think what you need to do is find something that really inspires you and photograph it from many angles. Do this with as many of your subjects as possible. This will help you find your inspiration, visually. This is because you will be revolving around your subject and, as long as the lighting isn't flat, the light and, most importantly, the shadows will change between each shot.

                  Now, look at those photos you took and see which ones look most pleasing to you and then examine the image and what it is that makes it pleasing to you. Was it the perspective? Was it the lighting?

                  The reason I say this is because, after looking at your images, I was not that inspired. That said, two images *do* stand out to me but they have issues which I would have compensated for, with my experienced eye.

                  1. The watch. A potentially good image but the highlight on the top-right side blew out the watch detail. There are way to compensate for that. Using fill light and reducing exposure time is one. Combining exposures is another.

                  2. The doorway. This one would have been a lot better if either the door opening wasn't overexposed OR if there was someone standing in the doorway. When and if you can, add people to your scenes. People add a dimension to a "good" image that can make it a "great" image.

                  Those 2 stand out for me as your better composed shots.

                  The car shots have potential but I think your shutter speed was too high for action shots. Lower the shutter speed and pan so that the cars are sharply in focus and the ground shows motion. sometimes it takes a longer lens for this to work. A wide(er) angle lens has the innate effect of freezing action if you don't stop down or at least choose a longer shutter speed.

                  I hope this reply doesn't insult you as that is not my intention. I was once where you are.

                  Lastly.. My rule #1: SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! The more you shoot, the more you will train your eye and learn the aspects of photography and your camera.
                  Not taken Actually this is the kind of advices i need, and look for. Thank you

                  Originally posted by sdphil View Post
                  Ok you asked and I like that since I too would love more constructive advise on ,ine.

                  I really liked the one of the clips. Good eye, composition, lighting and it holds your attention once you look at it.

                  The others, especially the car ones have not as good lighting and the backgrounds are distracting. I would have positioned myself where that car was better lit and zoomed in for a more dramatic shot.

                  Though I don't think that any pic is bad technique and skill can make any shot more interesting and moving. I think that's what makes a successful image.

                  Hope I helped

                  Phil
                  of course you helped me
                  Just learning

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You have some very nice images posted. One thing might help is cropping some of the excess out of your photos to make the images stronger.
                    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jim Bryant View Post
                      You have some very nice images posted. One thing might help is cropping some of the excess out of your photos to make the images stronger.
                      thank you, actually I did it but I guess not good enough
                      Just learning

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        any other advice ??
                        Just learning

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When a good photographer says that you are a good photographer, then you really are a good photographer. When two or more good photographers say you are a good photographer, then you really, really are a good photographer!
                          "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when sh*t happens." Raoul Isidro

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When you learn what makes a good photo-Ken

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Don't be ashamed of imitating others...some of my best photos were ideas taken from other photographers. Imitating others will help you learn your equipement and techniques, and eventually you'll starting focusing in on your style.

                              And ignore the old, negative pros. Surround yourself with positive photography influences and you'll improve rapidly. Local flickr groups and photography clubs are pretty good sources, and most of them don't tolerate the negative snobs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X