Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The other side of the "am I a storyteller" conversation (NSFW - language)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other side of the "am I a storyteller" conversation (NSFW - language)

This probably shouldn't have made me laugh as much as it did. He seems quite serious (and opinionated) on the subject of storytelling, and just who is or is not a storyteller. But I guess it's an interesting point of view in the whole "am I a storyteller" discussion... *shrugs*

My favorite line starts at 0:17 - made me burst out laughing actually. And it's only 2 minutes total, so give it a go.
    You Are Not A Storyteller
    Selena
    Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
    My flickr
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera."
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

That was fun and interesting! As were the comments below it.

I have to admit the idea of trying to tell a story with a photo is new to me. It sounds like an idea born from Madison Avenue, from advertising (or possibly from photo journalism)? I know the whole Apple iPad campaign has been "what's your story?" so it's a popular concept- everyone has a story worth telling.

Which is probably mostly true. But I'm old enough to know that unless it's a phenomenal story, to the point and really well told, no one wants to hear it.
    Panasonic DMC-GH3, Lumix GX Vario 12-35mm & 35-100mm lenses

zenfolio site

Comment

There is a bit of merit to what he says, but I think mostly this guy just likes to hear himself talk.

I do agree that the term "storyteller" is loosely used as a cliche line by a lot of artsy-fartsy wannabe photographers who are trying to come up with some clever blurbs for the About page on their website. Kind of like:
      • I have a passion for photography
      • I feel naked without my camera
      • I love people

Well no f#$%ing sh!@, Sherlock. That's why you're taking pictures. Try to sound like a professional, not a 14 yr old with their first camera.
      Streetpxl - Street Photography
      Fuji X100s - #ditchthedslr
      "The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don't have to explain things in words." - Elliott Erwitt

Comment

I do tell stories. They may be a bit off colour, but sometimes people laugh
        Zafar
        Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
        Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat View Post
          ...but I think mostly this guy just likes to hear himself talk.
          I think you hit the nail on the head there, sir.
          Selena
          Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
          My flickr
          - Lewis Wickes Hine

Comment

I pretty much agree with Sagmeister...
            But I still think every picture should be taken with a specific purpose... something specific to communicate to the viewer.
            Sometimes it's just sharing something most others don't get to see or notice (i.e. wildlife/macros), but then those images are usually just "cool" but not "meaningful/powerful."
            Steve
            the Photographic Academy.com
            SharpShooter Industries
            My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

I used to read my son bed time stories. Does that count?
              Scott
              Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

I'm not a storyteller. I'm a life interpreter.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
                but by the moments that take our breath away...

~ PORTRAIT rosserx
                ~ Flickr

Comment

I hate to say it, but my Avast virus checker banged when I clicked on this...just sayin'
                  Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
                  Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
                  My Flickr
                  www.montalbanophotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by autofocus View Post
                    I hate to say it, but my Avast virus checker banged when I clicked on this...just sayin'
                    I'd say it's time for a new virus checker.
                    Streetpxl - Street Photography
                    Fuji X100s - #ditchthedslr
                    "The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don't have to explain things in words." - Elliott Erwitt

Comment

Meh, not a very interesting message.

I think our pictures fall into a couple of categories of "whatever snapshots" and "purposeful (or something like that)". In the purposeful category, I agree that there should be an answer to the viewer's question of "why do I care about this image". I think that Steve already hit one of the nails on the head: it's something cool to share. There are other genres where I think the question "what's the story?" is perfectly appropriate. "What's the story?" fits under the broader question of "why do I care about this image?". Or, I've also heard (and even used the line, "make me care about this picture").

As long as there's something compelling... And the picture should be able to stand on its own, not needing someone to narrate the thing saying "at this moment, I felt ... blah, blah, blah" or "with this picture, I'm such a great story teller, blah, blah, blah." Regardless, for those pictures that tell stories, the *picture* tells the story, not the human.

The guy is denouncing the "storyteller" theme. The irony is in the closing graphic: "Crafted Stories Brand Storytelling".
                      Dave.
                      Some pictures... (500px)

Comment

Originally posted by scootermcq View Post
                        I used to read my son bed time stories. Does that count?
                        That depends, did you feel like a real artist when you did it?
                        Selena
                        My flickr
                        - Lewis Wickes Hine

Comment

I hate slow-loading videos.
                          Oh...
                          This isn't that ranting thread.
                          But it is taking forever to load.
                          ~Michelle
                          Flickr!
                          When in doubt assume I used an emoticon.
                          Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus TG-2 iHS, and Canon 7D

Comment

Is it? It loaded right away for me, usually I'm the one with slow computing issues..
                            Selena
                            My flickr
                            - Lewis Wickes Hine

Comment

Working...
                            X