Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jasmine Star Wars - The Saga Continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasmine Star Wars - The Saga Continues...

I may be the only one here who is sitting back and munching my popcorn as this story plays out in the wedding photography world. For those who are unfamiliar with the story, Jasmine Star (Los Angeles wedding photographer of mediocre talent) and Doug Gordon (New Jersey) got caught plagiarizing entire blog posts from other writers: http://digital-photography-school.co...t=jasmine+star

Both Star and Gordon were scheduled to be featured speakers at the WPPI conference in Las Vegas in 2014. A petition was created asking the bigwigs at WPPI to re-consider their choices for speakers in light of the scandal.

For what it's worth, although I'm probably not attending the conference, I am in the camp that believes they should not be put on a teaching pedistal after getting caught stealing the work of others. I work hard writing my blog, and would not steal the work of artists.

At first, both Gordon and Star did not acknowledge that they did anything wrong. This week Star wrote an article on fstoppers admitting that she was wrong, and an apology. (well, a half-hearted apology)
    I Was Wrong. I Need To Apologize To Anyone I?ve Offended. | Fstoppers

WPPI announced yesterday that both Gordon and Star have stepped down from the list of speakers at the conference. Photoforward | We?ve listened: Jasmine Star and Doug Gordon WPPI 2014 Update
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

May it be the start of a new phenomenon world-wide: consequences for actions. TFS!
    ~Michelle
    Flickr!
    When in doubt assume I used an emoticon.
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus TG-2 iHS, and Canon 7D

Comment

wow, I attend WPPI every year. Ive met Doug Gordan and he can be quite the um well, personable jerk. I'm surprised he stepped down
      www.alockintime.com

Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by AvianStewardess View Post
        May it be the start of a new phenomenon world-wide: consequences for actions. TFS!
        Consequences??? I thought those went the way of the dodo bird!

Originally posted by windrider86 View Post
        wow, I attend WPPI every year. Ive met Doug Gordan and he can be quite the um well, personable jerk. I'm surprised he stepped down
        Maybe they just announced it that way to let everyone save face.
        Selena
        Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
        My flickr
        "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera."
        - Lewis Wickes Hine

Comment

He probably didn't step down willingly. I only say that because he has not publicly apologized for what he did like Star.

BTW, My favorite is the people in the comment section that are actually saying Star did no wrong now that she "apologized". /face_palm
          About.Me // Flickr // Blog // 500px

Comment

Michelle,
            Although I've never met Doug Gordon, after watching a few of his "Flow Posing" videos on Youtube, I got the impression that he's sort of a self-absorbed douchebag. (he grabs brides and moves them into position. OMG)

I've been watching his blog and his facebook, and like several others have pointed out, he remains un-repentant.

Don't get me wrong... as a photographer, I think he runs circles around Jasmine Star. But like her, he makes a significant chunk of his income from training and workshops. I don't believe a person should be teaching photographers if their integrity is questionable.

With Jasmine Star, it becomes ironic and sad because the message that she used to preach on her Creative Live workshops was "Be Yourself". I admire the way she handled her public apology, except that I believe she never would have made it if it hadn't gone public the way it did.
            Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
            Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
            Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

Comment

Yea, we were all hanging out after WPPI at the Bay Photo party (good friends of mine) and having a grand old time. Kevin Kubota and a few others were at the table as well.
              I was sitting next to Doug and he was talking about the show and and what not. So i said speaking of the show, I loved you on Creative Live (thought he was arrogant there and dont like the way he barks out orders and is pushy but hey, i was being nice) he looked at me and was so snotty and told me to mind my own business and how i was ruining his "dance"
              www.alockintime.com

Facebook

Comment

Yea, we were all hanging out after WPPI at the Bay Photo party (good friends of mine) and having a grand old time. Kevin Kubota and a few others were at the table as well.
                I was sitting next to Doug and he was talking about the show and and what not. So i said speaking of the show, I loved you on Creative Live (thought he was arrogant there and dont like the way he barks out orders and is pushy but hey, i was being nice) he looked at me and was so snotty and told me to mind my own business and how i was ruining his "dance"
                What an a$$....
                About.Me // Flickr // Blog // 500px

Comment

i was ruining his "dance"
                  I probably would have burst out laughing in his face. Ruining his "dance"? WTF does that even mean?
                  Whatta douchecanoe!
                  Flickr: Over here
                  I'm now a Social Media Whore
                  The Twitter
                  Album Link: Tasteless Punk Rock

Comment

Originally posted by PixSixSix View Post
                    I probably would have burst out laughing in his face. Ruining his "dance"? WTF does that even mean?
                    Whatta douchecanoe!
                    For his online blog, I believe you mean #whatta douchecanoe
                    Scott
                    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Llisa, you better trademark douchecanoe and moosehole before someone else takes credit...
                      -Manny

Flickr
                      Current Gear: Fuji X100T and X-Pro 1

Comment

Originally posted by misterfour View Post
                        Llisa, you better trademark douchecanoe and moosehole before someone else takes credit...
                        My friend Glen came up with Moosehole for me last week (I just made it popular)

I don't know where I picked up douchecanoe, but if you say it with a drunken Canadian accent 7 times in the mirror some one will accidentally leave a flat of (real) beer just off your front door step. It happened to my cousin's hairdresser's uncle's taxidermist once.
                        Last edited by PixSixSix; 10-16-2013, 05:01 AM. Reason: typing like a drunken Canadian eh
                        The Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PixSixSix View Post

I don't know where I picked up douchecanoe,

Possibly pantless in a leaky canoe?

Nikon D810, Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikon AF-S 16-35 f/4G ED, Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F/2.8G ED VRll, Nikon AF-S 105mm Micro f/2.8 if-ED, Nikon 300mm f/4eG PF VR IF ED, SB-600, SB-910, Nikon T14E and 17E teleconverters, Fujifilm XT-1, XF 50-140 F/2.8, XF18-135 F/3.5-5.6, XF56 F1.2, XF10-24 f4.0.
                          My flickr
                          My 500px store

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce A View Post
                            Possibly pantless in a leaky canoe?

Whatever floats your boat Bruce :P
                            The Twitter

Comment

Working...