Oh FFS, facebook has changed again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
    As for your last line... who isn't? Tell me of one company heavily invested in social media that ISN'T doing this? How is this new and/or sinister? This is a known. If you DON'T know this is the key of ALL social media, then you probably shouldn't be on the web I'd say.
    Not targeting you specifically digirebelva, just anyone who gets all alarmist on the issue of what FB/Google/everyone is doing with your harvested data. It's the way of the web, accept it or simply stop inputting data into the interwebz.. .
    No offense taken Fuzzy, and I work in IT, so I know full well what the final end result of social media is going to be, or is trying to be. And yes, people will MBGC about the changes on Facebook and not leave....until....there is a viable alternative.

And I have a real quick cure for the data harvesting going on...since the companies doing the harvesting have placed a value on that data, then maybe the govt needs to tax them on the value of said data....it that were to happen, I can imagine quite a bit of data removal happening rather quickly...
    Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

Comment

...everyone on this thread seems to be in crisis-mode over this change, predicting doom for FB for doing it, heralding that the end if nigh...
      My point about facebook failing isn't just based on this change. It repeatedly changes and we have to deal with it, but the problem is that the more code and needless "features" they are throwing in, the more problems are occuring. Most people complain that pages fail to fully load frequently, that the chat doesn't work (I don't use it myself), that various other aspects fail to load. It's a growing concern. You can't honestly tell me that the facebook you use now has fewer problems than that 2 years ago.

And sure, one day facebook will die and there will be something else. But to ignore using it now as a tool is just retarded Apple logic.
      Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
      Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
      Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Comment

^^ can't edit my post due to current forum issues...

Just to address the point that what affects us commerically doesn't affect the users... well, the problem isn't a commerical one. It's a user problem. It is now more difficult for standard users to access the images they want to because A: the photostream makes now distinction between albums and B: There's now an extra step to find the photos related to themselves.

Comment

And people in the support forum area of facebook are all complaining that when you send an album link (user level not business page) via email etc to friends, the link fails even though the URL is the same as pre-change. Some people believe that facebook have now removed access to photo content to people who are not signed up to facebook. If true, this might indicate that facebook are trying to reverse a decline in users/signups.

Comment

Also, I saw this coming after they kept screwing around before, and consequently set all my in-site links to www.mydomain.com/photos with a 301 forward to the facebook URL

Now all I have to do is change one line in my htaccess file and the entire website and all links in emails, and everywhere else are fixed

Yay for hindsight!

Comment

Originally posted by Biomech View Post
              My point about facebook failing isn't just based on this change. It repeatedly changes and we have to deal with it, but the problem is that the more code and needless "features" they are throwing in, the more problems are occuring. Most people complain that pages fail to fully load frequently, that the chat doesn't work (I don't use it myself), that various other aspects fail to load. It's a growing concern. You can't honestly tell me that the facebook you use now has fewer problems than that 2 years ago.

And sure, one day facebook will die and there will be something else. But to ignore using it now as a tool is just retarded Apple logic.
              This...

Facebook remains popular DESPITE all the changes, not BECAUSE of the all changes.

It's all very well to say that "oh, it doesn't matter, people calm down after 24 hours, nobody has left".. who says they didn't go somewhere else? Just because I have a Facebook account doesn't mean I can't have a G+ account, or Twitter, or Linked In, or MySpace, or whatever else.. I'm just as likely to invest my time there.

The revenue of Facebook is earned in very much the same way as a TV station, people will switch when your competitors start offering you something more interesting. People will only know there's something more interesting because they'll change channels when you have a 24 hour "outage" when you piss people off.. Very few people on Facebook have enough invested for them to have to think much if FB no longer offers them what they want.

FB's time is limited. My guess is that the tiny changes they keep making that piss people off are far more likely to cause this, they need to run Beta programs, and see what uptake there is for the Beta version after a set period of time.
              Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
              A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
              Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Comment

Well Jamie...

...I hate to say it, but I think I spoke too soon.

After making two posts after each of my weddings the last couple of days, it seems to me there's either been a back-end change in how posts go out to 'fans' newsfeeds, or else I'm missing something.

Neither wedding album I posted showed up on my feed (figured maybe they were keeping mine clean, as I posted them) so I asked a couple of friends.. and nope, the albums didn't show up for them either, despite being publicly available on the page...

I can only guess this is a precursor to them trying to monetize posts showing up to subscribed 'fans'

Anyways.. I know you post a shed load every weekend the way I do.. did the same thing happen to you, or is this user-error?
                Website ... Blog ... Facebook

Comment

Not sure.

I never used to "post photos" after they uploaded because when it went into the news stream it was a massive image (like you see all the time) and was a bit too in your face and I found I was losing page "likes". So what I used to do was click share album - post to timelines - my page timeline.

Now that's balls'd up I literally click "share", get that URL they give you and past that into a page status (then highlight the post), that seems to give the best photo layout with the best news feed layout. And, being a "status", tends to always show up in news feeds. If I "post photos" after the upload is complete, then I find it's intermittent as to whether it appears in peoples/my news feeds.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
                    Gotta say, I'm interested in seeing where the new MySpace goes. Seems they want to tackle the "artist" angle of social media, ie musicians, photogs, artists, writers, etc..

Maybe even they've seen they can't take on FB, but have seen a niche they can exploit..

Keeping my eyes open.
                    MySpace is coming back? The thirteen year old gangsta wanna-bees and pedophiles will be happy. Their favorite hangout is back.
                    -----------------------------------------
                    Canon T1i 18-35mm, 50mm, 28mm, 100-500mm and some other stuff.
                    Please don't read my blog!

Comment

"Paedophiles" ... a la PAEDiatrician (child Dr). Ped is feet, a la PEDal, PEDestrian, PEDicure :P or a derivative of the Greek "knowledge", a la EncycloPEDia. Even if you assume the Greek use of the word "ped" for child, "pedo" in Greek means dirt/soil (probably a derivative of ped=foot as you walk on the earth). So you're still wrong... :P

.... you americans and you bloody phonetic spellings ;P

Besides, the ae is so much more elegant

Comment

"Paedophiles" ... a la PAEDiatrician (child Dr). Ped is feet, a la PEDal, PEDestrian, PEDicure :P or a derivative of the Greek "knowledge", a la EncycloPEDia. Even if you assume the Greek use of the word "ped" for child, "pedo" in Greek means dirt/soil (probably a derivative of ped=foot as you walk on the earth). So you're still wrong... :P

Seriously Jamie.... You want to make child molesters more elegant

Any other word and I'd have your back but really, the shorter and less effort for these arseholes, the better.
                        A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.

Comment

Like someone who spells "Aluminum" incorrectly as "Aluminium" has any right to complain about spelling... If I recall, you guys lost the war, we can spell child molesters however we want.

But I still want to visit your country some day, so I can have a pint at the pub, visit the loo, put stuff in the boot of the car, and experience the lovely sunny weather England is famous for.
                          -----------------------------------------
                          Canon T1i 18-35mm, 50mm, 28mm, 100-500mm and some other stuff.
                          Please don't read my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by UlpilotSC View Post
                            Like someone who spells "Aluminum" incorrectly as "Aluminium" has any right to complain about spelling... If I recall, you guys lost the war, we can spell child molesters however we want.
                            As I recall, that was Germany and Japan..

And it's spelled "aluminIum"... From the Latin "aluminIum"...
                            Last edited by SwissJon; 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissJon View Post
                              As I recall, that was Germany and Japan..

Saddens me to see people still posting stereotype-affirming (ie Americans are dumb as frak!) drivel like that.

Comment

You want to make child molesters more elegant
                                lol.

I also refuse to use words like "spelled", "learned" and "hanged". You wouldn't say, "Oh yeah I know Big Fuzzy, yeah, he's hanged like a horse" :P

Comment

Working...
                                X