No announcement yet.

D@mnit this makes me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Izzy.. hey are you a UER member by chance? If not, drop me a message. I've been doing this for some time as well and is definitely what keeps my passion in photography.

For those not familiar with Urbex and it's ethics... essentially it's documenting places that are forgotten and the main rule is "take only photos, leave only footprints". The majority of the people involved are interested in preserving or at least documenting examples of a bygone area. There have been so many places lost to vandalism that its a shame. Here is one example, Buffalo State Hospital - Kirkbride Buildings - the building had a fire (most likely) purposefully started by someone. Most likely bored kids... Keeping them "secret" doesn't mean not talking about them, but it does mean NOT publicizing them to the general public. Most people won't get that though so I wouldn't be too mad about it, maybe point her in the direction of some organized resources.

I'm too far away from you Izzy but if you are up in Wis, I know there were a few "large" brewery's that were worth the trouble to access but, apparently, security has really been stepped up. I can give you some additional info if you like.
    Raleigh Wedding Photographers
    Brian Mullins Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Mullins View Post
      Hey Izzy.. hey are you a UER member by chance? If not, drop me a message. I've been doing this for some time as well and is definitely what keeps my passion in photography.

For those not familiar with Urbex and it's ethics... essentially it's documenting places that are forgotten and the main rule is "take only photos, leave only footprints". The majority of the people involved are interested in preserving or at least documenting examples of a bygone area. There have been so many places lost to vandalism that its a shame. Here is one example, Buffalo State Hospital - Kirkbride Buildings - the building had a fire (most likely) purposefully started by someone. Most likely bored kids... Keeping them "secret" doesn't mean not talking about them, but it does mean NOT publicizing them to the general public. Most people won't get that though so I wouldn't be too mad about it, maybe point her in the direction of some organized resources.

I'm too far away from you Izzy but if you are up in Wis, I know there were a few "large" brewery's that were worth the trouble to access but, apparently, security has really been stepped up. I can give you some additional info if you like.
      Hey Brian. You are about an hour from me. Shoot me a pm. I may be interested in hooking up at some point. I still have no balls, but might be more inclined using the buddy system.
      Luke.
      500px
      facebook
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by SwissJon View Post
        You know this thread is very interesting.. I work quite regularly with security systems in information technology, and the techniques you're describing to gain entry to places where you shouldn't be, for what ever reason, are very similar to the techniques that are irregularly used to access hi security information systems..People are much softer targets than a firewall.. It's amazing how much money is spent on high security systems just to be let down by people stupidity.. If you had to put a card in a slot to enter somewhere, you'd get into far fewer places.
        Isnt that called "social engineering"?
        There's a funny example of it on the movie "hackers" from the 90s, where the kid talks a bumbling guard into giving him the number to the modem so he can dial in. Love that movie (and not because Angelina Jolie is topless....)
        -----------------------------------------
        Canon T1i 18-35mm, 50mm, 28mm, 100-500mm and some other stuff.
        Please don't read my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Mullins View Post

Yep a UER member. Don't post on there much right now. I did post some from the recent ghost town in NM. I suppose I should go back and see what anyone had to say about them. Plan to post more as time allows, more like when I get off my lazy duff.

I have family in Wake Forest if you have a closed hospital or even better sanitarium near you I could find the reason to travel and do the buddy system. I have been doing this a bit but hard cores would still call me a tourist. It is every bit as far as NM and New Orleans so what the heck....
          Heavily medicated for your protection
          Flickriver

http://www.photoblog.com/thomasneubauer/
          http://thomasneubauer.com

Comment

I did not know there was a name for it. There are several people in the DFW area that like to do the Urban exploration thing. Sometimes that mean trespassing, at night, into dangerous locations. I've been one one of those.

I agree with your comment because many times the masses do not understand and respect the location. Artist, such as yourself, try to capture the moment or a feeling from the locale. Many of the masses just trample over everything and complain. As a result, yes, land owners and municipalities erect fences to keep the riff-raff out.

Comment

Originally posted by UlpilotSC View Post
              There's a funny example of it on the movie "hackers" from the 90s, where the kid talks a bumbling guard into giving him the number to the modem so he can dial in. Love that movie (and not because Angelina Jolie is topless....)
              Kevin Mitnick, "The Art of Deception."

Go read it.
              JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
              Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
              Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

Comment

Originally posted by jdepould View Post
                Kevin Mitnick, "The Art of Deception."

Go read it.
                Agreed.

Loved that book. Probably a bit embellished in parts, but the main points are very true.
                Nikon D80 / 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 / 55-200mm f/4-5.6 / 50mm f/1.8 / SB-400
                Flickr Photostream / Photosynth Panoramas / 500px Portfolio

Comment

web urbanist

Another interesting web site is the web urbanist. Part of their series is of abandoned structures around the world
                  The (WU)ltimate 33-Part Guide to Abandoned Places | WebUrbanist
                  It's not the size of your lens.
                  It's how you use it

Comment

Originally posted by UlpilotSC View Post
                    Yeah... Or wet hacking.. The "bumbling guard" is the norm, not the exception I'm afraid.. When someone offers penetration testing on a system, if they don't take the soft targets into account then they're not doing their job properly.. About half the people I ring up are willing to give me their password.. This includes the accountants.. And some of our remote offices have unencrypted Excel spreadsheets with every password sitting there on their network.

Like I said.. the concepts used to gain entry for this draw a lot of parallels to those used by hackers.. Which used to be, I guess, taggers and graffiti artists, they are now much more akin to the copper thieves.
                    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
                    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
                    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Comment

What an interesting subject to focus on! I love looking at pictures of the past and wondering what happened when people were there and why they left. And most new buildings are nowhere near as interesting to look at as those from 50+ years ago.
                      nicuRNmama (Susan)
                      www.photosbysgg.com
                      www.nicuRNmama.500px.com
                      www.flickr.com/photos/nicurnmama2011

Comment

I also go out exploring when I can, old houses mainly..almost got locked into a building downtown that was being renovated....
                        It is amazing what gets left behind sometimes...
                        Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

Comment

Working...
                        X