Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving customers rights to my images?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giving customers rights to my images?

    I recently started shooting weddings.

    I would like to know the best way to give the customer all of the right to the images I take at their wedding. So i can give them a CD with all the images and they can make prints as they wish

    is there a form that takes care of this? just looking for some more information on giving clients the rights to the images

    thanks
    nick

  • #2
    I'm sorry but, I can only answer your question with another question; why would you ever want to do that? You'll make more money off of the prints when they need more made. If they have all the rights, then they no longer need you.
    wHy sO sErIoUs?

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have the words right in front of me, but I usually say "royalty-free" followed by "you can print, copy, or display however you please".

      To answer the "why would you ever", it's simple business strategy, which is to find holes in the market in which there is a demand that's not being fulfilled. Clients want full rights to their photos. I talk to people all the time that say this, and don't want the hassle of dealing with the photographer everytime they want a print. They want to be able to display them on Facebook and e-mail them to friends. To a client, the extra fees of prints and "royalty-free" DVDs doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They paid for your services...why should they pay more for the end product?

      At my workplace, we have a newsgroup in which people ask for recommendations. About once a week I see a "Need recommendation for a photographer who will give royalty-free rights to all photos on a DVD". The demand is there, so it's only natural that a smart business person would model their business around what the customer wants.

      When you allow the customer to use your digitals however they see fit, they start popping up all over the place. One of my co-workers has her son's photos on her computer screen, plastered all over her cube, and on a digital photo frame. After every shoot, they're all up on Facebook with all of her friends and family commenting and asking "who took these photos?". It's excellent marketting.

      Last of all, it's kind of nice not worrying about copyright on your client's photos.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Photoboothguy View Post
        I don't have the words right in front of me, but I usually say "royalty-free" followed by "you can print, copy, or display however you please".

        To answer the "why would you ever", it's simple business strategy, which is to find holes in the market in which there is a demand that's not being fulfilled. Clients want full rights to their photos. I talk to people all the time that say this, and don't want the hassle of dealing with the photographer everytime they want a print. They want to be able to display them on Facebook and e-mail them to friends. To a client, the extra fees of prints and "royalty-free" DVDs doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They paid for your services...why should they pay more for the end product?

        At my workplace, we have a newsgroup in which people ask for recommendations. About once a week I see a "Need recommendation for a photographer who will give royalty-free rights to all photos on a DVD". The demand is there, so it's only natural that a smart business person would model their business around what the customer wants.

        When you allow the customer to use your digitals however they see fit, they start popping up all over the place. One of my co-workers has her son's photos on her computer screen, plastered all over her cube, and on a digital photo frame. After every shoot, they're all up on Facebook with all of her friends and family commenting and asking "who took these photos?". It's excellent marketting.

        Last of all, it's kind of nice not worrying about copyright on your client's photos.
        +1 everybody wants digital....
        however, I give "limited rights"

        they can do anything they like with the images except modify or sell them.

        I give a second disk free which are sharpened and resized for web, as well as watermarked. This stops some sites using the images as their T&C says they take copyright. ...and its free advertising.

        if you pitch the watermark as a good thing, its all gravy....
        http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
        D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Photoboothguy View Post
          ...there is a demand that's not being fulfilled. Clients want full rights to their photos. I talk to people all the time that say this, and don't want the hassle of dealing with the photographer everytime they want a print. They want to be able to display them on Facebook and e-mail them to friends.
          Amen! I am so glad to hear someone else say this! Can I book you to shoot my family? :-)

          Seriously, every time I hear someone ask why you would give away digital images, I think if a photographer wants use the images for marketing, why not let the client do it for you?

          Not to mention my friends whose wedding photographers have gone out of business. What do they do about prints now?
          Canon Rebel XTi, Casio EX-z750, iPhone3G
          My Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Its the same argument when the ball point pen came out...The folks who did caligraphy fought it tooth and nail (I assume - LOL). Many are afraid of change. If you think you are going to lose money, raise your prices for the digital image.

            I would say about 60% in my area are now offering disgital images, most peole NEVER print them. They put them in digital photo frames, facebook, email...prints, sadly are becoming obsolete.

            Wait I better jump off my high horse b4 I write a novel.
            Pat
            5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
            You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

            Comment


            • #7
              I give them limited rights. Facebook is fine, but not to reprint and give to others.
              http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
              http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
              (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim Bryant View Post
                I give them limited rights. Facebook is fine, but not to reprint and give to others.
                amen to that!
                www.alockintime.com



                Facebook

                Comment


                • #9
                  1. You take photos of the client
                  2. You spend time editing and enhancing the photos
                  3. You give them the CD with all the great photos you created
                  4. They take the photos to an el-cheapo shitty mass printing outlet and get them printed
                  5. Their friend sees them and goes "ewww yuck, who took those photos"
                  Here is a question, do you think the client is going to say "no no they are really great photos, I am just too cheap to get them printed at decent quality"

                  Second question, do you think you will ever get that friend of your client as a customer?

                  Third question, do you now see why pro photographers do NOT give away the rights to the photos?
                  Gear: Pentax K10D + lenses, not as many as I want though.
                  Software: GIMP, XnView.
                  My flickr stream
                  A wiki on GIMP (and other Open Source Software)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a little paper I put in with the CD that basically says that the bearer of this disc has my permission to print the images found on the disc and then it has my info.

                    You know, I've always liked giving my clients a disc of their photos and I will probably continue to....BUT if trends weren't going the way they are I think I would change to prints. When I was shooting at a reception the other day, a good portion of the decor was pictures that I had taken of the bride and groom...pictures I loved!....and the prints were very bad. I mean, I guess they really liked them but I was saddened to see my pretty pictures looking not so great.
                    Laurie Millar

                    http://lauriemillarphotography.blogspot.com

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28798518@N05/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tuxcomputers View Post
                      1. You take photos of the client
                      2. You spend time editing and enhancing the photos
                      3. You give them the CD with all the great photos you created
                      4. They take the photos to an el-cheapo shitty mass printing outlet and get them printed
                      5. Their friend sees them and goes "ewww yuck, who took those photos"
                      Here is a question, do you think the client is going to say "no no they are really great photos, I am just too cheap to get them printed at decent quality"

                      Second question, do you think you will ever get that friend of your client as a customer?

                      Third question, do you now see why pro photographers do NOT give away the rights to the photos?
                      ++1 but you forgot one ..

                      fourth question, do you see why most major metro cities have hundreds of newbie & small time studios that never go anywhere and only 2 or 3 real studios that continue to stay in business .. continue to grow .. continue to make money and continue to laugh at the idea of giving away their files on CDs.

                      I only know one pro photog that hands out CDs .. She also only shoots weddings and she also charges $3500 for the CD.
                      .
                      Randy McKown:: Photography Tutorials & Free Stuff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nick,

                        I would say the best way to give away all your images to the client so they can print them at whatever printshop they want is to burn them to a CD and then give them a contract signed by you stating what they can use the images for.

                        Like some people have posted it might be a good idea to limit what rights you give them, but they are your images so do what you want with them. Just know that once you give them away there is not much you can do to control how they get used.

                        jojo
                        D3s, D700, 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, 85mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 24-120mm f3.5-5.6, 60mm f2.8 macro, SB-900, SB-800, SB600

                        my blog www.joeldavidsonphotography.com
                        my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/68233716@N00/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Xposurepro View Post
                          ++1 but you forgot one ..

                          fourth question, do you see why most major metro cities have hundreds of newbie & small time studios that never go anywhere and only 2 or 3 real studios that continue to stay in business .. continue to grow .. continue to make money and continue to laugh at the idea of giving away their files on CDs.

                          I only know one pro photog that hands out CDs .. She also only shoots weddings and she also charges $3500 for the CD.
                          The reason most of those fail is b.c they do not know the business of business. And the studio charges more (more overhead, etc. but thankfully in my area many seem to appreciate and understand cutom photography)

                          And all things being equal, price, experience and image quality, you go to the photog that gives you the most options. It also depends on your area - some people can get away with prints only b/c their clients may not have digital frames, an iphone, ipad - you get the idea. Do you know how many people NEVER print their photos - those are the ones who want a digital image. And they PD a lot for that image, they are not gonna change the image, some might... but tell them what labs to use. And the folks printing at Walmart, will NOT pay over $500 or more for your services - they would go to Wal*Mart, so that argument goes away...

                          They print at Walmart if they pd $100 for the whole CD of all images from the session...the product does not have value and they treat it as such..

                          So, if in your area people are selling digital images - sell them and dont feel guilty. Even Sandy Puc sells her images digitally (granted its $800). Her philosophy, and mine, never say no to a client, make them say no to you. do you sell digital images? yes, how much are they? $800. no thanks...I'll buy the 8x10 - now those guys scanning in is another issue

                          Man, that was long...LOL
                          Pat
                          5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
                          You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by private View Post
                            The reason most of those fail is b.c they do not know the business of business. And the studio charges more (more overhead, etc. but thankfully in my area many seem to appreciate and understand cutom photography)

                            And all things being equal, price, experience and image quality, you go to the photog that gives you the most options. It also depends on your area - some people can get away with prints only b/c their clients may not have digital frames, an iphone, ipad - you get the idea. Do you know how many people NEVER print their photos - those are the ones who want a digital image. And they PD a lot for that image, they are not gonna change the image, some might... but tell them what labs to use. And the folks printing at Walmart, will NOT pay over $500 or more for your services - they would go to Wal*Mart, so that argument goes away...

                            They print at Walmart if they pd $100 for the whole CD of all images from the session...the product does not have value and they treat it as such..

                            So, if in your area people are selling digital images - sell them and dont feel guilty. Even Sandy Puc sells her images digitally (granted its $800). Her philosophy, and mine, never say no to a client, make them say no to you. do you sell digital images? yes, how much are they? $800. no thanks...I'll buy the 8x10 - now those guys scanning in is another issue

                            Man, that was long...LOL
                            +1 very good advise
                            http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
                            D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by private View Post
                              The reason most of those fail is b.c they do not know the business of business. And the studio charges more (more overhead, etc. but thankfully in my area many seem to appreciate and understand cutom photography)

                              And all things being equal, price, experience and image quality, you go to the photog that gives you the most options. It also depends on your area - some people can get away with prints only b/c their clients may not have digital frames, an iphone, ipad - you get the idea. Do you know how many people NEVER print their photos - those are the ones who want a digital image. And they PD a lot for that image, they are not gonna change the image, some might... but tell them what labs to use. And the folks printing at Walmart, will NOT pay over $500 or more for your services - they would go to Wal*Mart, so that argument goes away...

                              They print at Walmart if they pd $100 for the whole CD of all images from the session...the product does not have value and they treat it as such..

                              So, if in your area people are selling digital images - sell them and dont feel guilty. Even Sandy Puc sells her images digitally (granted its $800). Her philosophy, and mine, never say no to a client, make them say no to you. do you sell digital images? yes, how much are they? $800. no thanks...I'll buy the 8x10 - now those guys scanning in is another issue

                              Man, that was long...LOL
                              The people that normally print at Walmart (which is everyone around here) do pay over $500 for services .. Many of them pay $700 .. 900 .. 1500 .. you'd be surprised how much people will pay and what will cause them to do so. We're actually remodeling a new studio location right now and one of the first things on my list is shopping for the most expensive looking hardwood flooring I can find ... for the camera room? No .. for the waiting and sales room .. because I know from experience that the visual impact of richness will not only justify an expensive product but it will make them want it even more. Sit them in some wooden kitchen chairs while they order .. they pay less .. sit them on a fluffy modern couch .. they pay more. Show them a giant canvas they can't afford .. they buy it anyway. Tell them oh yeah you can have a CD and take it to Walmart .. they grab the CD and run. Photography is Art .. Photography Business is Psychological.
                              .
                              Randy McKown:: Photography Tutorials & Free Stuff

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X