Glasses vs. Contacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasses vs. Contacts

Has anyone noticed a difference in their shooting while wearing either glasses or contacts? I just got my new glasses in, but I think I should probably keep a stock of contacts handy just for days I need to go shooting. Does anyone have any input?
    Becky - flickr - N-A Photography
    Nikon D3000 ~ 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm lenses
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." ~Kung Fu Panda

Hah, it's a good question that doesn't get brought up often.

I usually shoot with contacts, because i like to get my eye right up in the viewfinder. I've had bruises more than once from having the camera stuck to my face and it getting bumped in a crowd or what have you.

But shooting with glasses is not a problem, you may find that the image in the viewfinder is not quite as crisp. This is what the diopter adjustment is for. Iry playing with it a bit before you decide to go shooting only with contacts.
    Photo This
    flickr

Comment

Age is a consideration as well. If you haven't reached your mid 40s yet, then the scourge of Presbyopia (loss of close focus ability) will not be a factor. I much prefer looking through the viewfinder with contacts. However, it is then quite inconvenient to have to hold the camera at arms length to view the controls and LCD. So I shoot with my glasses and I can peer over them if I need to view the LCD up close.

Comment

I tried contacts and unfortunately have problems with really dry eyes, so I can't wear them. I'm so used to shooting with my glasses, doesn't bother me at all.
        Susan
        Mostly Canon stuff
        My Flickr
        Facebook - new photos always posted and always happy for new "likes"!
        Website going through an overhaul!

Comment

Sounds like either will work, though I do like smushing my face up against the camera to look through the viewfinder. I suppose I will have to try both ways and see what works I think I can make some contacts last if I only use them for shooting (I have a 6 month supply left, but I really enjoy the way I look in my new specs!
          Becky - flickr - N-A Photography
          Nikon D3000 ~ 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm lenses
          Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." ~Kung Fu Panda

Comment

I'm always shooting with glasses. I did get fatty stains on my glasses, so I removed the soft eyepiece from the ocular.

Gear: All Canon: EOS 7D EOS 350D 10-22mm F/3.5-4.4 USM 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM 85mm F/1.8 USM 60mm F/2.8 USM Macro Speedlite 580EXII, 430EX and 430EXII

Comment

I have worn glasses all my life, and have no problems.Just make sure the "diopter" adjustment is O.K. for whatever you are wearing.
              Douglas
              Sites flickr

Sony DSC-p72 and Olympus E410

Comment

I use both. I honestly don't have a preference between the 2.
                Chip
                My flickr and My Gear
                Feel Free to Edit and Re-Post My Pics On DPS Only

Comment

New from Hoodman. PMA 2010: Glasses for Photographers

Comment

My prescription isnt enough that I need to worry about it: it fits within the diopter adjustment range, so I just shoot glasses off with the diopter adjusted.
                    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
                    adammontpetit.com
                    Gear List
                    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

I have only glasses (no contacts), and they do bother me sometimes. However, since I do most of my work while bushwacking among some really pokey trees, they do have a huge advantage in terms of eye protection.
                      David Clark Photography, project 365 photo blog, flickr.
                      It is OK to edit and repost my photos on the DPS forums only.

Comment

I guess I am the only one with problems when using glasses. I often am frustrated because if you want to get down low, in order to see through the viewfinder without looking over the top of my glasses, I have to lay down on my stomach. That is not always possible.

Glasses are a REAL PAIN! Unfortunately, I have never been able to wear contacts. My eyes just don't get along with them.
                        Web Site http://ebimagephoto.comFlickriver AlphaBjerke's Photos on FlickriverSony Alpha A200, 50mm/f1.7, 18-70mm, 75-300mm, Sigma 90mm 2.8 macro.

Comment

I would like to go for glasses, i dont know but i am scared from contacts.
                          Character Education

Comment

had glasses since i was 5 - i'm now 30-something, tried contacts while i was playing in my band BUT i have "a greasy tear film" so i can't wear them, my eyes dry out in about 5 mins with contacts... so i'm stuck with glasses... but i manage :-)
                            Site : http://www.pazza.biz
                            Camera : Canon 5d Mk ii

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
                              Age is a consideration as well. If you haven't reached your mid 40s yet, then the scourge of Presbyopia (loss of close focus ability) will not be a factor. I much prefer looking through the viewfinder with contacts. However, it is then quite inconvenient to have to hold the camera at arms length to view the controls and LCD. So I shoot with my glasses and I can peer over them if I need to view the LCD up close.
                              I am an ABO optician actually....just so you know they do make bi-focal and even multi-focal contacts! I would suggest using your contacts for shooting as i think you will find much more comfort for it....plus less likly to break them lol......
                              --------------
                              D5000---Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikon 55-200mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micahadams/

Comment

Working...
                              X