B&W Converson WWYD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&W Converson WWYD

So, I have never really been thrilled with any B&W conversions I have done. I would be interested in throwing out my ugly mug to see what other people come up with.

Here is the color version:

My take on a B&W conversion:

A full sized image to play with may be downloaded here:

http://www.capturesbymcq.com/WWYD/me.jpg

Now if you rock the conversion, I will of course be picking your brain... but it should be fun to see everyone's takes on this shot.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Done on my uncal'd laptop...slightly warm toned
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Comment

c9xtqrwn

always up for an easy challenge. Great photo so start out with might i say.
      I use Silver Efex for 99% of my conversions and then fine tune with dodge and burn. Cloned the background stuff out and then used the patch tool for a few spots
      www.alockintime.com

Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by windrider86 View Post
        c9xtqrwn

always up for an easy challenge. Great photo so start out with might i say.
        I use Silver Efex for 99% of my conversions and then fine tune with dodge and burn. Cloned the background stuff out and then used the patch tool for a few spots
        Michelle nailed it
        Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
        Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
        Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

Comment

Here's my version working from the small color here. Basically a PS B&W conversion (adjusted by ind. color) then duplicated layer> Shadows/highlights>masking/opacity...That's it.

I noticed you did a sepia tone...instead of that I offer a "hand tint" version. Just pasted the color version over the B&W and reduced opacity.
          Steve
          the Photographic Academy.com
          SharpShooter Industries
          My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Here is my edit.

Comment

Some really great conversions here!

Ed, would you mind taking us through your conversion?
              Scott
              Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Hi Scott, I simply used the Adjustments, Shadows/Highlight to lighten some of the shadows then added a blank layer on top and clicked the color picker and chose black with a slight tinge of red and filled the layer. Changed the blending mode of that layer to color and adjusted with the hue and saturation when I found it too warm. Flattened.

Comment

Couldn't resist even tough I thought Michelle nailed it. I like my B/W conversions a little different. I first adjusted the conversion to suit me. Then I tone mapped once again adjusting to taste. I then ran it though LR for a little clean up and finishing touches. I left the background in for character.

And for another bite at the apple

Last edited by alabamanightowl; 12-02-2013, 06:13 AM.
                  Danny M. Long - Flickr

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
                  Ansel Adams
                  Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X