Please let me know what do you think about my logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please let me know what do you think about my logo

Everybody keeps asking about logos, so I want you to take a look at mine and see what do you think.

DEPA stands for "Departamento" or apartment. 11 because I grew up in the apartment 11. When I got married I moved to another part of the city and the apartment number was also 11.

Take consideration that when I first started this business it was intended ONLY for kids parties (I have Tinnitus and can't stand loud music so I wanted to avoid weddings and other loud events as much as possible) So I designed the logo acording to that, kids parties.

When I moved on to weddings and such I decided to keep my logo because it also reflects some of my personality and the personality I want my business to have. I want the customers to feel like it's fun working with us and that we have fun doing what we do.

"Producciones" or productions is because I do video as well, not only Photography. But in my business cards it says "Fotografía y video" below the logo and my title is "Fotografo" or Photographer.

I've looked around and all the photographers logos I see in the internet are very serious and elegant.Trying to reflect a sense of luxury and professionalism. So I know mine is way out of line. But, in the other hand, is also different and so far I've had good responses to it.

But, I'd love to have your opinion as people who do this for a living and have much time more than me in this. what do you think? Also, not as a Photographer but as a customer looking to hire someone for your big event...... would you hire based on my logo.... or any logo?

Feel free to trow your comments, and be brutal if needed. Gracias

My Logo
    Visit me http://500px.com/haphotographer
    Like me http://www.facebook.com/HAphotographer
    2 Canon 60D; Canon EF-S 50mm f1.8, EF L 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, 2 Canon Speedlite 580 ex ii

I really like it

It makes for a talking point which would work in your favour, its quirky and different, also when they ask, it gives you the opertunity to give your photograpy background, only cementing their good chioce in using your services
    Gaskin Photography
    FACEBOOK
    flickr OK to edit and post my photos on DPS only

Comment

You'll have to forgive me if this seems a bit harsh: it's coming from a design major.

It's too busy. There are too many VERY bright colours, and the little figures aren't necessary. I get what youre trying to get across, but there are much better ways of doing it.

For one, narrow your colour selection down to 3, at the VERY VERY most.
      Remove your little people. The concept is good, and the execution in this case is actually fairly good, but they make it far too busy. I can suggest using a smiley face or something similar along with the text to make a logotype, instead of just a type logo.
      Lose the drop shadow. It's fine, but its on EVERYTHING and it adds to the busy-ness.
      Look at some typography. Some GOOD typography examples and see what the difference is. Im not saying yours is terrible, but it leaves to be desired. I'm never really sure where to look, or why certain things are the way they are. I also don't know what your company does or how the number reflects anything besides simply having a number.

Hope this helps!
      I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
      adammontpetit.com
      Gear List
      500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

I agree - I find the colors you have used make the logo look dated. You can definitely have a fun and bright logo rather than an elegant style, but without going quite this far. For example, I love this one, which I think is sooo much fun:

If you want a fun 'kiddy' kind of feel, using geometric shapes, or flowers or animals etc might be fun. I very quickly did a 2-second example of what I mean by something cleaner and more modern:
        Last edited by KathrynWilson; 06-04-2009, 02:07 AM.
        Shooting with all sorts of Canon stuff.
        my flickr
        my website
        Live. Love. Capture. Blog.

Comment

Did you intend to put that logo on the images that you are trying to sell? I think if you "Keep It Simple" it will work better for you.

flickr
          - - Nikon D3S & D300; Nikkor 28-300mm AF-S f/1:3.5-5.6G VR, 50mm f/1.4D, 105mm f/2.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, 300mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR IF, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, Nikon AF-STC-20Eii 2.0x Teleconverter and 2 SB-900s with reflectors, light stands, LumiQuest Softbox iii, & umbrellas.

Comment

I also agree with the above, a little too loud, plus I am no fan of so many Typ faces together in one small logo.

just my thoughts though.
            _______
            Flickr
            Nikon D80, 50mm 1.8, Nikor 55-200, Sigma 70-300 APO, Raynox 250.

Comment

Originally posted by KathrynWilson View Post
              I agree - I find the colors you have used make the logo look dated.
              I agree - it is very dated. If i'm stuck for logo ideas I always go for a nice legible font, one colour and leave it at that.

Simple is always best!!
              Flickr Portfolio Blog

Canon EOS350D
              Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II | Canon EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II | Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6

Comment

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
                I also don't know what your company does or how the number reflects anything besides simply having a number.
                Did you even read her post before critiquing? Just to be fair......

"DEPA stands for "Departamento" or apartment. 11 because I grew up in the apartment 11. When I got married I moved to another part of the city and the apartment number was also 11."
                Nikon D50, 18-55 Nikkor kit lens, Nikkor 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 70-300 Macro DG, Nikkor 50 f/1.8, Tamron 55-200, Nikon SB600 speed light.
                Point & shoot: Canon Power Shot A620 that I LOVE!
                Feel free to edit my pics and post back to DPS
                Winchentucky Chronicles

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

As I mentioned before, I designed it (Do not have any designing education) to reflect some of my personality. I'd always liked bright colors, simplicity and I like to have fun when I work.

Also, it was intended just for kids.

So far I've had great responses from people. The logo itself has been a topic in many events (Both kids and grown ups).

Your feedback is important to me. I've been thinking for a while now that I may create 2 "divisions" or business areas of my business. One just for kids and one for "grown ups" and have 2 different logos. Keep this one for all kids related and the other one (same name) more serious, elegant, professional for the other events.

Not gonna happen soon since economy is bad and I already have the Vests done with the logo.

Thanks again.... All your opinions will be taken into consideration
                  2 Canon 60D; Canon EF-S 50mm f1.8, EF L 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, 2 Canon Speedlite 580 ex ii

Comment

Originally posted by kbradley88 View Post
                    Did you even read her post before critiquing? Just to be fair......

"DEPA stands for "Departamento" or apartment. 11 because I grew up in the apartment 11. When I got married I moved to another part of the city and the apartment number was also 11."
                    I did, but "departamento" and 11 are, otherwise, completely random. They need to be better represented.
                    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
                    adammontpetit.com
                    Gear List
                    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

You need to look at how you are going to market your company. If using things such as vehicle graphics and signage, there is nothing to tell a potential customer what you do from just your logo in the few seconds that they see your logo. If your going to build your business primarily from word of mouth / referrals this isn't as important (you'll have the time to give more background on your company with that game plan).

Also it will depend upon your business plan. If down the road you decide to sell your business a personal connection to the company name won't help and may actually hinder the sale process.
                      Daniel Wedeking
                      West Coast Jeep
                      Wedeking Photo Blog

Comment

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
                        You'll have to forgive me if this seems a bit harsh: it's coming from a design major.

It's too busy. There are too many VERY bright colours, and the little figures aren't necessary. I get what youre trying to get across, but there are much better ways of doing it.
                        Have you ever seen a Latin American newspaper? That sort of thing is normal.

There's a huge disconnect between Euro-American design sensibilities and South American (or Mexican) ones.
                        JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
                        Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
                        Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

Comment

A little too busy as others have said. simple is best.

If you did have 2 logos how would you represent that on a business card. I think just have one logo, the adult one, and somehow also mention that you photograph kids.

Comment

I may loose some colors and MAYBE.... change the kids drawings so one is taking a Photo and the other one helds a video cam....... What do you think?

I still have the idea of having a more adult logo.... for that I may have to contract a pro designer and I can't afford it right now. So it'll have to wait a little bit

I really want to thank you all for your replies and feedback. As in everything, I may not agree with all your opinions and some i may not like at all. But I'm an open minded person and will take all your comments and criticism under consideration. After all I want to get better at this and you all have been longer than me in the business.

I was very happy with my logo, now I have my doubts

I'll let you know how the new logo comes out, when it happens.

Again, I appreciate a lot your time, your attention and your intention.

Y'all have a great weekend. I have a wedding to shoot today, so it'll be a long day. (but fun)

Comment

Personally I think it sets off your personality and says look at us we are fun to work with .. now the problem here is you will need some GREAT shots to show but we are ALSO very very good .. I like the fact it kinda says we specilise in Kids from the get go ...I know some will say outdated etc etc but why follow fashion set your own. Remember it is your business your image you and personality you are conveying in a small image yours owrks well it made me smile bright vibrant and different something that is being lost by people trying to be over sofisticated these days
                              Camera Canon A560. Nikon D300 with Tamron 17-50, 70-300VC Nikkor 50mm Prime Lens and Polarising Filter and a book on what the buttons do......

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X