Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business cards: what to put on them

Hello all,

I'm finally taking some big steps with my photography: opening a website to sell my photos, and simultaneously offering some of my prints for sale in local galleries!

Along those lines, I am planning to print some business cards. However, I have a few special considerations.

Clearly I will have my name, website, and a dedicated email on the card. But, I'm not planning to offer my services for hire. The cards are strictly for giving out to people who are interested in my prints, and to have the cards available in the galleries (on / near my photos). So, I don't have a reason to have a business phone, and I'm not sure whether I should bother putting my (one and only) cell number on the card. Should I assume that potential customers have access to email, or should I risk them calling my all-purpose cell (which I answer with a basic "Hello?"). It seems like that could risk running over into the land of the unprofessional.

In addition, is there any other data which I should include on the card? I will certainly have the word "photography" or some such on it. Anything else?

Thanks for the time!
    David Clark Photography, project 365 photo blog, flickr.
    It is OK to edit and repost my photos on the DPS forums only.

I've heard from a few people (and one of them was a user on this forum) that it can make the expereince more personal if you leave the phone number off and write it on the card. It looks like you're doing something special for them.

It also gives you the chance to change your number and not have out of date cards.
    Canon Rebel XT or Nikon Coolpix L3. Flickr | The Photo Blog | Radio | Blog

If you're going to edit, please make your edit private. I don't want my stuff floating around in other people's photostreams.

http://sigmyfeed.com/s.png?url=http%...yle=dark-small

Comment

Waffles -- smart idea. That pretty much solves my worry about phone numbers!

Now I just have to design this thing!

Comment

That's a good idea, also I think there are ways to set up a seperate voicemail on your cell phone, so you can choose to ignore the call or send it to the voicemail then attend to the message at your convience.
        ~Nate

My Flickr Page

Weapon of Choice: Canon Rebel XS

Comment

A lot of folks are turned of by "business" cards with no phone number on them. I have one set with number and one set without that I hand out depending on how confident I am that I'm not giving my number to "the wrong crowd."
          Best,
          Jim
          Facebook
          Visit my website

Comment

You are in that "in between" land....
            A "professional" would have a dedicated website, e-mail, mailing address(p.o. box) and phone/fax. The first three are easy and cheap...The phone number more challenging....
            To date(5+yrs), I use email for 99% of communication....seldom ever give personal phone # or address. (non-photog business)
            Steve
            the Photographic Academy.com
            SharpShooter Industries
            My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sk66 View Post
              You are in that "in between" land....
              A "professional" would have a dedicated website, e-mail, mailing address(p.o. box) and phone/fax. The first three are easy and cheap...The phone number more challenging....
              To date(5+yrs), I use email for 99% of communication....seldom ever give personal phone # or address. (non-photog business)
              I have to say that getting the phone number isn't that challenging. You just need to start answering your personal phone like "hello NAME PHOTOGRAPHY, NAME speaking" And you only need to do this with names that aren't in your phonebook. If an unknown or unlisted number pops up in your caller id, answer it like a business call.
              Joshua Finnie
              Sites: homepage / flickr / twitter
              Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom, Nikon 50 f/1.8 AF D, Nikon SB-600
              You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by joshfinnie View Post
                I have to say that getting the phone number isn't that challenging. You just need to start answering your personal phone like "hello NAME PHOTOGRAPHY, NAME speaking" And you only need to do this with names that aren't in your phonebook. If an unknown or unlisted number pops up in your caller id, answer it like a business call.
                This isn't a bad idea. I'm wondering if it will matter very much, because I'm not going to do work for hire -- so I really don't know who would be calling me! (Other than, hopefully, galleries saying something like "we sold one!" -- but I'd know who they are too).

Comment

Originally posted by joshfinnie View Post
                  This is almost exactly what I do. I just answer my phone, "Hello, this is Jeff". Then it doesn't matter if it's personal or business-related.

Dcclark...As a businessman, I would steer you towards putting your phone number on there. Business cards are all about marketing. And marketing is about first impressions and getting your name out. With only an email, you don't look as professional and may not be taken as seriously. You could be a fly-by-night scammer that doesn't have a phone number for a reason. You don't want them to think that or anything else that will make them hesitate in contacting you.

In order to be successul at business, you need the public to know about you and be able to contact you. A website is not enough...it's impersonal. A phone is an absolute minimum...your email should be a secondary contact (not primary). Also, a very important aspect of any business is good customer service. What that boils down to is making the purchasing experience as painless and efficient as possible.

Think of it from your possible customers perspective: "This guy has a website, but no phone? Why? Everyone has a phone. I'd much rather give him a call and get all the info I need in a minute conversation than having to play email tag...if he even responds to my emails at all. Too much work."

You would be surprised how many business owners make it as difficult as possible for their customers (you know, the ones that pay their bills?) to purchase their products or services. I'm sure we all share the frustration of calling the big-box store for a little help with a problem or to get info on a product only to be put on indefinate hold or passed from department to department...or worse yet, never be able to even speak to a live person! It's maddening. I know this example is a bit extreme for your situation, but the point behind it is that you want to make your customer like doing business with you, not make them work to do business with you.

Bluntly stated, if you are worried about the public knowing your phone number, you need to re-evaluate how seriously you want customers. I definately don't say that in a "mean" way...you just need to apply your focus to the customer. This realization is usually a "light bulb" moment for many business folk. Make it easier for my customers to purchase my products, I get more customers.

Of course I am not advocating a complete disregard for your privacy. You may end up buying a second line as time goes on, or using a home line for business and your cell for personal, or vice versa. But initially, you have to think like a business-person...having customers call my cell is not a bad thing...it's a good thing. It means business. It means I get a paycheck. It's a hassle, but I enjoy what I'm doing and this is the price of being a successful independent business owner.

Hope that helps! Good luck my friend!
                  Landscapes and Light Painting, Nikon and Pentax equipment
                  Eagle Vista Studio - Light Painting - Getting Started With Sunrise Photography
                  "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus

Comment

And yet Jeff, you only have a contact by email option on your website

dcclark: can you not get what we call on this side of the pond a pay-as-you-go mobile phone fairly cheaply? No contract, just use it for first contact incoming calls?
                    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." -aristotle.
                    Nikon D70s, 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 VR, 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8
                    creativecommons.org - Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike
                    My "Best shots" on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan deGargoyle View Post

dcclark: can you not get what we call on this side of the pond a pay-as-you-go mobile phone fairly cheaply? No contract, just use it for first contact incoming calls?
                      Good catch! But it's not my BUSINESS website. This is mostly a site where we share our paintings and photos with our friends and relatives scattered throughout the world..who already know our personal phone numbers.

Try one of these...

www.classicalhardwood.com

www.eaglevistaphotography.com (you can even download one of my business cards from this page)

Two different numbers....two different businesses. And these are just my HOME-BASED businesses.

I have two home-based businesses because it's the only way I can effectively see my wife on a regular basis!!

My "away-from-home" business card has three phone numbers on it...my office phone, my cell phone, and my fax. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment! But then again, it will take a nuclear strike to eliminate my access to a paycheck. Strength through diversity.
                      Last edited by navcom; 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM.
                      "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus

Comment

Actually I believe we can. It's a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by navcom View Post
                          Good catch! But it's not my BUSINESS website. This is mostly a site where we share our paintings and photos with our friends and relatives scattered throughout the world..who already know our personal phone numbers.

In that case you're forgiven!

Some very nice photos and paintings on there.
                          "A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." -aristotle.
                          Nikon D70s, 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 VR, 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8
                          creativecommons.org - Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike
                          My "Best shots" on Flickr

Comment

In that case you're forgiven!

Some very nice photos and paintings on there.
                            Thanks! I think my wife does some fantastic work...especially considering she has only been doing it for less than 2 years. In that time, she has sold dozens of her paintings...and not for mere chicken-feed either! I'm pretty proud of her. On top of that, she doesn't even have a business website!...just this personal one. It's all local and word of mouth. Now that's grass roots marketing.

Comment

Jeff -- thanks for the very good advice. You are doing a very good job of convincing me to use my phone!

Nathan -- I agree that such a phone may be a good choice. There are a lot of good choices, actually, but I am desperately trying to keep my expenses down -- I'm a grad student, so my pay is pretty low, and a lot of my spare cash is already going towards my website, frames and mattes, prints, etc.

I think that using my cell phone number wouldn't be so bad. I don't have a landline (in fact, I know very few people my age nowadays who do have such a line, who don't have their own business at least). There is one last -- funny -- consideration. My cell phone number has carried with me through years of college and grad school, so it's not a local number. It's not even close to local (there's only one area code for this entire half of the state). I'm afraid people may see it and think "oh, he's not even local, why should I bother?" But that's probably just me being over-worried about this whole business.

Anyhow, thanks all for your great advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X