Announcement

Collapse

Please submit your assignment suggestions!

Hi! Please visit THIS THREAD and submit your dPS Assignment suggestions! We'll be starting assignments again in two weeks time - hope to see you all participating.

Thanks!
See more
See less

Apple Killed the CD+R

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Killed the CD+R

Apple killed the CD+R and the DVD.  No, really... they did.

I'm sure it was maybe one of the last things that Steve Jobs did before he kicked the bucket.  In some dark conference room in Cupertino CA at Apple HQ, someone wrote out one a dry erase board "We must kill off the CD+r and the DVD"  And so it came to pass.  

If you've bought a new computer or laptop in the last two years, you might have noticed something.  They don't even HAVE a CD or DVD drive.  The new Macbooks don't have a drive at all.  Just the little USB ports.  Apple killed the CD drive.

The reason I bring this up, is because of my photography business www.rspearsphotography.com  When I would shoot a wedding, or a Quinceanera, or family portraits, I would give the client a CD or DVD of the images.  This has always had some problems.  I'd eventually get the phone call or the email "That disc you sent me... it won't read anymore... it just shows an error"

I'm happy to announce a new era at R Spears Photography!  Ta-Da!  The cool looking USB flash drive with my handy dandy new logo on it.

It's going to be delivered to clients in an equally cool looking metal case (also with the spiffy new logo)

I've been working on the logo for some time.  I have a few talents, but graphic design is NOT one of them.  I'm also a little cheap.  I found a designer who would do a logo for me for $400-$500.  Not bad in today's market, but I'd rather spend that money on a new lens.

So I convinced myself that I could design it myself.  I started out with my name.  Spears.  I thought... "Hmm... Spear... like one of those long pointy things you throw..."  and I started designing a logo.

It wasn't pretty.  I thought it was kind of cool looking... but a spear just isn't something that translates well as a logo.  

I needed something simple... that would reduce down small, and still be recognizable.  Think of the Nike swoosh, or the red and white Coca Cola logo.  These are simple designs.  I liked the "idea" of the spear, and played around with just a arrow point.  

After playing around a little more with the arrow, I had something that looked a lot like the Star Fleet insignia that Capt. Kirk had on his uniform.  I thought people would think I was a little TOO geeky if I had a star trek emblem for a logo.  

Finally, I put the arrow through the script lettering, and it looked like a commercial logo.  Not everyone who has looked at it has liked it.  One person said they thought it looked like an oilfield company logo.  Okay.  Someone else looked at it, and said... "I don't get it... it doesn't say 'photography' "  I tried drawing a camera, but that didn't work either.

So, I needed to order some marketing material for the coming bridal season, and decided I'd go with the blue arrow oilfield thingy.  Like it or not, there's the logo.  My brand.  More to come.  Unless Apple decides to come after me too.

Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

I still give my clients CD's of images - you can't custom print on USB sticks :P At some point I'll move over, but at the moment, I find they aren't cost effective and I feel they lack substance :P .... for now.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Comment

To me, thumb drives are just too small. I misplace them all of the time....There's an "important one" I haven't been able to find for several months now.
      Steve
      the Photographic Academy.com
      SharpShooter Industries
      My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

I bought a new computer just last week with a CD/DVD/RW drive.
        [ԯ] marcus
        photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Comment

Even through the new Apple MacPro laptops don't have an internal DVD/CD burner. You can always purchase one of their external burners.
          http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
          http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
          (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

did we ever think the vinyl record would go away? ...or the tape?...or the VCR? Eventually, and it's probably just a matter of time when CD/DVD and flash technology will be a thing of the past
            Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
            Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
            My Flickr
            www.montalbanophotography.com

Comment

I guess that is just one more reason not to buy Apple products. I build my own computers and have no problem getting internal DVD burners for them.
              Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
              Flickr Photobucket
              Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

Originally posted by kirbinster View Post
                I guess that is just one more reason not to buy Apple products. I build my own computers and have no problem getting internal DVD burners for them.
                I don't image you can save any money by doing that when you consider what the cost of the separate components are that has to go into the build of a PC, as in:
                a chassis/enclosure, a mother board with processor(s) fans, I/O boards, graphics board, drives and drive controller board, memory, operating system, power supply, keyboard, etc. Is this more of a hobby for you, or do you really want a custom system that might be hard to duplicate from an off the shelf supplier?
                And I know that you get a highly integrated mother board that has much of those control functions bundled in, but if any of those functions fail you're most probably faced with chucking the mother board for a replacement.
                Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
                Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
                My Flickr
                www.montalbanophotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by autofocus View Post
                  I don't image you can save any money by doing that when you consider what the cost of the separate components are that has to go into the build of a PC, as in:
                  a chassis/enclosure, a mother board with processor(s) fans, I/O boards, graphics board, drives and drive controller board, memory, operating system, power supply, keyboard, etc. Is this more of a hobby for you, or do you really want a custom system that might be hard to duplicate from an off the shelf supplier?
                  And I know that you get a highly integrated mother board that has much of those control functions bundled in, but if any of those functions fail you're most probably faced with chucking the mother board for a replacement.
                  Ain't that the truth!
                  http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                  http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                  (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

Love the logo and it's simplistic, yet stylish look. I dig how the"S" wraps around the arrow point. I like the idea of the thumb drives too. A client may or may not have a cd/dvd drive but they will all have a usb port. Nice work on all fronts.
                    Last edited by zona5101; 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM.
                    "They call me Bruce."
                    www.brucebphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by kirbinster View Post
                      You'd be hard-pressed to actually build any of the Apple machines that don't have DVD drives. About the only Apple machine you can reasonably build yourself is the Mac Pro... which has a DVD drive.

did we ever think the vinyl record would go away? ...or the tape?...or the VCR?
                      Or, more apropos, the floppy disk. Apple stopped putting floppy drives in machines in 1998 and were widely ridiculed for it.

Comment

I don't image you can save any money by doing that when you consider what the cost of the separate components are that has to go into the build of a PC
                        You'd be surprised at how much money you can save. Even if you consider economies of scale, a PC manufacturer still has to charge you for all of the overhead that goes into assembling and marketing the systems, plus enough money on each unit to make a profit. Plus, you have the added benefit of having a system that is pretty much upgradeable indefinitely. It's rare that you have to upgrade an entire system at once. Do it incrementally, so you upgrade one or two pieces at a time and you can have a new computer every couple of years, but never have to fork over the entire cost of a new computer at once. Plus, you only have to replace stuff you already have (like optical drives and hard drives) when you need to. You're not buying new stuff you don't need just because you want to upgrade.
                        [ԯ] marcus
                        photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Comment

there were similar discussions maybe not by photogs but others when apple had the crazy idea to rid its self of the 3.5 floppy drive. Things evolve and change and are doing so at a much faster pace than ever before. Apple never adopted the Blue ray or HD DVD. and now people are moving to streaming video in HD. so no more need for the disk.

can you still get a 3.5 floppy drive yes. there were people i work with that needed them for the camera they were taking photos of build sites with.

do you miss floppy's?

I don't

Comment

Actually that is far from the truth. It might apply to very bottom of the line boxes, but not to a "real" computer. You see those big companies (Dell, HP, etc...) have huge markups due to bloated corporate structure, advertising, legal costs, etc.... You can buy components for not much more than what they buy them - its a very competitive marketplace for electronic components. You can build a high end computer to your exact specs that first you would not be able to get from one of those suppliers, and second will actually cost you less.

For example my main computer is in a huge tower case with six open drive bays and another six internal drive bays. I have four two tera byte hard drives, a SSD drive, a DVD drive ; not to mention a high end graphics board and 24 gigs of memory. You don't find machines like that from the mass crap sellers. Not to mention I have no pre-loaded bloatware on my machine.
                            Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
                            Flickr Photobucket
                            Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

R.Spears I couldn't help myself. As far as logos done by amateurs . . . yours is really pretty well done. The only thing that doesn't work is the arrow. Aesthetically it looks OK, but there is not enough contrast between the blue arrow and the thin black signature. At a distance, reduced in size or if you need a one color version of this at some point, those two elements run together and make the logo look like a blob. You will run into issues at some point.

I really dig signature logos . . . especially for artists, so i wanted to see what yours would look like with out the arrow. I did this very fast, so some of the curves are a bit lumpy, but it will give you an idea. I think this looks a little more sophisticated, plus you wouldn't run into the issues I was referring to above.

Comment

Working...
                              X