Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't miss the wedding kiss or you might end up in court

Wow...haven't been here in a while.

Just thought this article was worth sharing..... Stoush over wedding smooch shot.

VCAT here in Victoria, Australia, is a civial claims tribunal (not quite a court) that handles claims at the smaller end of the spectrum without lawyers (can be just about anything). It's a bit Judge Judy-esque.

I have only ever shot one wedding for free (for family) and I hated it, so I don't know about shooting weddings commercially.

For those that shoot them, do you hit those 'money' shots everytime or is getting the kiss at every wedding impossible? Have you had customers upset that you missed an important part of their wedding or event and demand a refund or even sue?

CG
    Corey Gibson
    LightPaintHack.com | About Me | My Flickr
    Canon 1D MKIV | EF16-35 F2.8L II | EF24-70 F2.8L | EF70-200 F2.8L II | EF50 F1.4 | EF 50mm Macro

Only an idiot would miss the kiss!
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

Think it shows that we should try and resolve problems before they get this bad!
      Twitter | Facebook
      Matt Ethan Photography

Comment

Hmm sueing because he missed the 1st kiss?! Seems a bit OTT

What if his flash failed, or I dunno that file got corrupted... lots of things can go wrong during a wedding shoot and tbh I can't really understand how anyone could try and sue for a missed moment.

Yeah wedding togs are there to capture the important moments, but there's so many it's possible from time to time someone might miss something.

Still the wedding kiss IS quite a big moment to miss
        Newcastle Photography
        Newcastle Wedding Photography

Follow me on twitter

Comment

It does boil down to communication with the couple. I had a wedding where I got a fairly crappy first kiss because it was so fleeting that I only got one shot at it. Took a fair amount of photoshop love to make it a deliverable shot. I now tell couples in the pre wedding meeting to linger a bit on the kiss to make sure I get a few frames or don't miss it totally.
          Scott
          Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Originally posted by ajax_andy View Post
            Hmm sueing because he missed the 1st kiss?! Seems a bit OTT

What if his flash failed, or I dunno that file got corrupted... lots of things can go wrong during a wedding shoot and tbh I can't really understand how anyone could try and sue for a missed moment.

Yeah wedding togs are there to capture the important moments, but there's so many it's possible from time to time someone might miss something.

Still the wedding kiss IS quite a big moment to miss
            I think a prudent wedding photographer would have some sort of disclaimer/waiver in their contract for failures/limitations outside of their control...
            Steve
            the Photographic Academy.com
            SharpShooter Industries
            My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

The missed first kiss was only one of a number of complaints the couple filed - it was used as an example of expectations that weren't met and subsequently dismissed by the magistrate. The couple's main argument appears to be that the photos and service provided didn't meet their expectations as set by the advertised work and the items in the contract. As such they withheld the last $400 of about $2,600 due (having already paid the rest). The case saw a counter claim and ended up with the couple being owed $700 or so dollars and the photographer to be reimbursed $60 for a meal not provided.

(Believe it or not I reported this earlier in the week here: thread here)
              Pentaxian
              500px

Comment

Just about to read the article, but it sounds like the guy suing was a bellend.

Look at the royal wedding kiss... whever that was... it lasted milliseconds, thousands of people missed it and there was that stroppy kid next to them ruining the picture (albeit in this case she helped the story).

You can't blame the photographer for everything. Why didn't they just kiss again?

.. just opened the page, nice emergency exit light behind them :P

.. read it now.

Looks to me like someone had read a few of the "wedding xx sues photographer" articles around the net and wanted a go themselves.

Restaging? That's one thing I don't do. When I'm in photos, the photo is of the moment it's not a piece of art that could be done anytime. If you stage something after the fact, every time you look at it you'll know it's a lie and worthless.

I think I did a first kiss shot once, it didn't come out how I wanted so I said "give her another one!" and got the shot.

The couple's main argument appears to be that the photos and service provided didn't meet their expectations as set by the advertised work and the items in the contract.
                So much for "put ONLY your ABSOLUTE best work on your site/portfolio" :P
                Last edited by Biomech; 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM.
                Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
                Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
                Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Comment

I think a prudent wedding photographer would have some sort of disclaimer/waiver in their contract for failures/limitations outside of their control...
                  Couldn't agree more! Photographers need to protect themselves from crazies... I understand how couple may get upset, but court? Really?!!
                  West Palm Beach Wedding Photographers

Comment

Yeah, for sure it's in my contract, but I pray to God I never have to use my contract to defend myself.
                    Scott
                    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Working...
                    X