Amateur , and new to photography trying to become professional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc56 View Post
    but what the hell.. what are you going to loose....GO FOR IT!!!
    Apparently you didn't read the link. How about $300,000? And it is happening more and more as amateurs are jumping into the industry. They don't have the skills to do the job properly and they don't have the insurance to cover their butts when they mess up. And when they don't have insurance, they get sued.

Did you know that if someone trips and hurts themselves during a photo-shoot, you as the hired photographer, can actually be held libel for those injuries? Are you willing to risk losing everything you have to maybe make a buck? If you want to make money as a photographer, then treat it like a business. That means investing money, time, and energy.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Comment

Dear 60 font kevin,
      Bet you a dollar that more people have published pics with a P&S on auto than you have with your battery of canons.:
      Maybe, but being "published" means nothing. Anyone with a cell phone can get "published". It all depends where they are published. And also, being "published" is a small part of the photography industry.

But maybe you would take it from Jim, who is probably more published (in real media) than anyone else here. Here's what he said way back on the first page:

"with little or no money your chances of going pro at this point in life with very little experience are slim and none. Takes years of experience, not only in photography, but photography business as well. If you are still in college, my suggestion to you is to take some business and marketing classes. You need to master what equipment you presently have instead of relying on post processing program to fix mistakes made by a lack of photographic knowledge."
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
        Apparently you didn't read the link. How about $300,000? And it is happening more and more as amateurs are jumping into the industry. They don't have the skills to do the job properly and they don't have the insurance to cover their butts when they mess up. And when they don't have insurance, they get sued.

Did you know that if someone trips and hurts themselves during a photo-shoot, you as the hired photographer, can actually be held libel for those injuries? Are you willing to risk losing everything you have to maybe make a buck? If you want to make money as a photographer, then treat it like a business. That means investing money, time, and energy.
        60 font kevin,
        you can't get blood out of a turnup.....btw you only get sued if you have insurance...or money.....Hey kid....go for it......but if you screw up you may loose your 10 year old car....old 60 font Kev is trying to scare you....i wish you success...i don't believe in luck...you make that on your own.
        Camera Pentax Kr Lenses Pentax 18 to 55 pentax 55 to 300 sigma 150 to 500 Misc stuff that my wife yells about and I have a 2006 ford bird blind.

Comment

Here's my input for TS, as a fellow amateur:

I recently did some photographs for a cousin of mine. They turned out well and she is really satisfied with them. She asked about paying me, and I simply told her that she owes me a favor. I spent 10 hours total shooting the photos, so she and her husband are going to help me remodel my bathroom for 10 hours between the two of them (which is what they do for employment.)

Anyone else I've done portraits for, it's been a gift from me in exchange for gaining the experience and learning new things... or else an exchange of favors. I wouldn't even consider agreeing to shoot something that is a special event such as a wedding. If you screw that up, there's no going back. At least with family portraits or senior portraits, they can try me out for free, and if they don't like the results they can book someone else.
          Michelle

flickr

Comment

Don't listnen to them......go for it!!!!! your camera is much more advanced than anything ansel adams had.
            Yea, but Ansel Adams was an accomplished master photographer. You got to learn to walk before you run. Just go out, take pretty pictures and learn to master your camera.
            http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
            http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
            (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

you're delusional.
              ......That's what they said about Einstien and Edison.....Steve Jobs started Apple in his garage........Bill Gates quit colledge.....Harry Truman went bankrupt...get what i'm saying....... I'm sure all these pros telling you NO NO NO have been published in Brides or Natty Geo..........I'm probably wrong...but what the hell.. what are you going to loose....GO FOR IT!!![/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh, sure they do and was successful too! This kid knows basically nothing about photography and is jumping into a pond will the alligators will eat him alive. He has a lot to loose, his ambition, reputation and desire.
              (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

60 font kevin,
                you can't get blood out of a turnup.....btw you only get sued if you have insurance...or money.....Hey kid....go for it......but if you screw up you may loose your 10 year old car....old 60 font Kev is trying to scare you....i wish you success...i don't believe in luck...you make that on your own.
                Jesus............a good lawyer can get blood out of a turnip and a rock as well. The court will take everything you have and you'll end up make restitution payments and be in debt for the rest of your life, unless you win the lottery.

Comment

hi kesha here and i'm soo new here. how do you post or start a thread? and could someone please tell me why my canon eos rebel t3 doest take pic when i turn on in auto mode. it does this faint like flashes first then doesnt focus

Comment

60 font kevin,
                    You obviously have no clue how it works. If you get sued and you don't have that money, you still owe it. They will simply garnish your income until you pay it off. And I know that can up to, at least 50% of your income (maybe more, not sure). It's called a Legal Financial Obligation, and if you don't pay, you can go to jail.

You see, it's totally different doing things freelance. If you screw the shot up you're the only one hurt. But if you are paid to do a job and you fail, you have broken a contract and can be held libel. So, yes, I am trying to scare the OP. It's time that people stop thinking that the photography business is something you can just jump into and start making money. There is much more to the whole thing, and there are consequences to not taking it seriously.
                    Kevin

Comment

Wow, pretty pleased with such a good response (perhaps mainly not good).

Jim, I have a lot of respect for you, as I do for anyone on the forum - though please don't just pass a quick judgement:
                      This kid knows basically nothing
                      I don't think its particularly fair to resort to saying things like that - you haven't seen any of my work, or seen how I work. (I do not mean to say its good - but you cannot just make snap judgements when any creativity is involved. Plus I repeat that I fix no images in PhotoShop, I rarely edit an image. I only made that point to do with the filters that I carry - which for an abstracted image are no where near as useful as PhotoShop. I would in no way 'fix' an image.

@jc56 thanks for the support - your enthusiasm is very much appreciated

Michelle, that is what I will be doing for a while anyway - I was in no way meaning I would jump to freelance right now. I was only asking what people on here had started on. My first post/titling was very badly, and quickly written - and I don't really think I knew what I was asking until after a while of discussion - when I formulated more of an idea of what I wanted to know (which I apologize for).

Kevin, I do completely agree, and would not jump in like it probably sounded like I immediately wanted to. On the subject of suing (In no way am I saying I'm going to start charging etc):
                      a) I live in the UK, there is much less of a law court culture - and thus suing is rarer. I am in no way saying it wouldn't happen though. I just mean it is not as common in the US. (Especially on creative grounds)
                      b) I would not be overselling myself to people, and it would not be until I have a full portfolio, and a lot more years of experience.
                      c) Any work that I do would be people asking me - that I already know, for example I write for a local free magazine. Advertising pays everyone a small sum - if I were to also get photos for that magazine too, then I would also get some more money from them. obviously not "real media" and if the photos were not good enough they would not be used. Simple.

I was not just asking because my head was flooded with these ridiculous ideas of money - it was more so that I could push my self into more challenging areas of photography. Obviously it was a ridiculous ethos, and now that I have to talked to all of you, I have realised that - so thank you.

Oh, and by the way, I went on the photographer, Zack Arias' blog/tumblr (someone that was recommended earlier in the post), and one of the questions. Ironically (I am paraphrasing) he told someone in a similar position to me to go for it
                      Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Comment

Originally posted by WesFoster View Post
                        Jim, I have a lot of respect for you, as I do for anyone on the forum - though please don't just pass a quick judgement: I don't think its particularly fair to resort to saying things like that - you haven't seen any of my work,
                        But you have your work linked. And by looking at it I'm pretty sure Jim made a sound judgement. And as far as the photography business knows, he's dead on as well. How do I know that? Because if you knew anything of the photography business, you wouldn't be asking questions about how much to charge less than a year into the hobby.

Any idiot can hang a sign and call themselves a business (which, by the way, taking money for a service makes you). But a smart person takes their time, develops their skills, finds their niche, invests themselves, and then wades into market. So, you can either do what jc56 (with no real world experience) tells you to do and jump in, with no cares, hoping there are no rocks, and risk a lot. Or you can do what Jim (with decades of real world experience) has said, and take your time. Your choice, your risk.
                        Kevin

Comment

With so much social media right now, most businesses and performers need photos for their websites. Would you consider bartering your services? You could photograph bands for their websites in exchange for entry to a concert or show. Photograph a restaurant for a meal...etc. You would get experience in dealing with a "customer", still get a service you would have to pay for otherwise, increase your skill and build your portfolio. Plus if the "customer" didn't like the photos they wouldn't feel they were out much and less likely to be angry.

I am very new to photography, so my opinion is not professional, just thought it might be a good compromise based on the comments

Comment

Originally posted by CB418 View Post
                            With so much social media right now, most businesses and performers need photos for their websites. Would you consider bartering your services? You could photograph bands for their websites in exchange for entry to a concert or show. Photograph a restaurant for a meal...etc. You would get experience in dealing with a "customer", still get a service you would have to pay for otherwise, increase your skill and build your portfolio. Plus if the "customer" didn't like the photos they wouldn't feel they were out much and less likely to be angry.

I am very new to photography, so my opinion is not professional, just thought it might be a good compromise based on the comments
                            Once you start this type of practice it will be expected all the time. However, in addition to bartering, you should ask for some money as well.

Comment

Nah, non of it is my work as of yet - have only just started using flickr, posted the links in an attempt to 'network' with people on here for example, my flickr is made up of: a photo of a smiths' record, a photo from before I realised one of my old lenses was fungi infested, an instagrammed photo of my girlfriend from my phone, and three from when I was filming a band - not set up photos, just ones from waking the camera from sleep/taking while in record. At the minute, I don't have the time/patience to convert all my RAW (CR2 won't read on my computer) files to DNG then to JPEG in order to upload them to social sites, especially with the state of my internet connection.

Yeah bartering sounds really good - haven't though of it like that yet. Yeah thanks Jim, I see what you mean - sets up a more flexible relationship/expectations.

I was only asking because I don't have a clue where to start with that sort of thing, as I said earlier my initial thread came out too direct and made out this would be a definite career leap. I'm glad I have, because it has made sure that I haven't tried to leap into it, and perhaps messed up any future possibilities.
                              Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Comment

Wes, get a hold of some concert promoters and pick their brains. It'll give you an idea on how to approach concert photography. Search the web and check out the libraries. Hell, everyone these days are writing "how to" books.

Comment

Working...
                                X