Amateur , and new to photography trying to become professional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WesFoster View Post
    Again, I was only inquiring, wondering what people on here thought/did. I did not mean it to come out like a career decision (if that's what it came out like).

I reiterate; I am not, and never will expect any money from my photography - it seems to be inferred that I do not do it for the love of the camera, when that is simply not true - I love taking pictures when I can and would continue to do it regardless.

I only inquired to see what others on the forum did. I have had no family/friends naively telling me to 'go into the business'. Recently a record company asked me to do a promotional video for a band that I know (I filmed them for a documentary I am making). I inquired simply in case they asked me to do any photos too, for that band or in the future. As of yet they are not a releasing record label - they have only just set up, therefore I am doing it as a favour, they are not family or friends but at the same time it is not quite a professional relationship.

I was simply wondering what people on the forum thought, or did themselves; I didn't mean it to sound like a career move.
    Please don't quote that and tell me I'm still thinking of money again
    Actually, this is what you asked on your first post:

"Anyway, I digress, I have little to no money constantly and thus want to start using photography to try and get what I can (on top of other work). I am by no means professional, and cannot guarantee great/good pictures but I still think (perhaps naively) if I push myself into it I can do well.

What would you recommend for someone of my experience/ability to charge in case I do get offers? I'm just trying to cover my back now, so that if I do get something I know what I'm charging etc - and can be professional"

Notice the bolded sections. You didn't ask how others started, or where they started. You asked how much someone "of your experience ability" should charge.

And what you have been told is to forget about anything related to charging at this point. After you've been doing this for a few years and have developed your skills, then you can revisit this question. Until then, develop your skills, research the business side of photography, invest time and money, and when you are ready, charge the market rate (as opposed to "cute rates").
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Comment

Hi Wes. There has been a huge amount of excellent advice here and I wholeheartedly agree with all of it.
      But I think you feel like you still don't have the answer you were looking for.
      I'm not in any way, shape or form a professional but here is my two cents......
      Consider doing your shoots for free for now while you gain experience and build a portfolio. This will also get you known around your potential clientele.
      If you absolutely MUST charge something then just charge for your costs - travel costs, film developing, printing costs. Work out what you'd be out of pocket by and just charge that, as the others have said above, you are nowhere near ready to begin charging for your skills.
      LISA
      Canon EOS 600D, 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-250 mm kit lens for the flash stuff.
      Olympus Tough 8010, waterproof, shockproof compact P&S - great for the kids.

Flickr

Comment

What would you recommend for someone of my experience/ability to charge in case I do get offers?
        Okay, let me answer this in a different way.

If someone asks what you would charge to shoot...whatever, be honest. Do what I've done several times and tell them that you do not have the skill level to do the job properly. I've been asked by one of my wife's co-workers, who had looked through my pictures, how much I'd charge to shoot her son's basketball team. My response was "I would not be comfortable doing that because that is not where my skills lie. If you want it done right I would suggest looking for a quality professional." I've done the same for engagement photos, senior portraits, etc. Just because someone offers to pay you doesn't mean you have to get paid.
        Kevin

Comment

Yeah, I did realise my first post was badly written fairly quickly - and thanks for all the advice. I was more just looking for what people thought would be an acceptable sum for someone just starting out - I mean sort of expenses, then putting money aside for new gear. I will definitely research the business side, as you say, and put together a more structured/confident plan later, when I do have a portfolio etc. I was only putting it up as a thread to try and see what a reasonable amount would be, in context for me in case something does come up that may be paid.

@NgaiHill yeah that is what I'm doing anyway, and it would definitely be more extra costs than anything else if I were to take any payment, also, it would help to be able to have a way to save for new gear.
          Yeah I definitely realise that, I would not charge in vain like that anyway. As I said before - it was just to try and get a feel for what a reasonable amount would be if I were to come across any work anytime.
          Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Comment

Yeah, I did realise my first post was badly written fairly quickly - and thanks for all the advice. I was more just looking for what people thought would be an acceptable sum for someone just starting out - I mean sort of expenses, then putting money aside for new gear. I will definitely research the business side, as you say, and put together a more structured/confident plan later, when I do have a portfolio etc. I was only putting it up as a thread to try and see what a reasonable amount would be, in context for me in case something does come up that may be paid.
            And that's why I said, don't get paid yet. Don't even put it out there. If someone asks, tell them you aren't at a place, yet, to get paid. At this point, it is a hobby, and you shouldn't expect it to pay for new gear.

I don't get it. Back in '84 when I got my first SLR (Canon AE-1 Program) I never would have considered making any money with it. Not without spending years learning and developing my skill. And here, after almost 30 years, I am finally starting to make some money with it. So why it is, now, that as soon as someone gets a fancy camera they start thinking about making any money at all? What is it about photography that makes people think that it's easy to make money at?

So Wes, the question to you is this: why do you think you should get paid? What do you have to offer potential clients that they can't do themselves with a fancy camera, or even a camera phone? When you can honestly answer that question, then you may be ready to charge for your services.
            Kevin

Comment

Yeah I see what you mean, and when you put it that way I completely agree. I hope I don't come across as being naive about what I'm doing/wanted to do.
              Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Comment

Yeah I see what you mean, and when you put it that way I completely agree. I hope I don't come across as being naive about what I'm doing/wanted to do.
                You see, that's the big problem. The industry is flooded with people who seem to think that making money with a camera is easy. They go buy DSLR and then weeks later come here and ask how much they should charge. The answer will always be "nothing". And I struggle to understand why the question even comes up at all. I don't understand why people even think they should be able to charge, or make money, after a month, or even a year.

So, take your time, enjoy your photography, build your skills, and then when you have something to offer look into the business side of things. And if you really want to blow your mind and make yourself feel inadequate, check this site out: 500px is Photography
                Kevin

Comment

I don't want you to think I that because I got a fancy camera - I think I should be charging. I am not that low, or at least I would like to think I'm a little better than that (not in terms of skill but in terms of morals). I am not one of these people who have just 'upgraded' from p & s, and therefore only know how to press a button on auto etc, with no real knowledge of the way it works - or want to learn more.

It was only a ever intended to be a very general inquiry (worded badly), and not something to be acted on at all.
                  Thanks for all your time,

Wes
                  Last edited by WesFoster; 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM.

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Comment

Wes - I get what you're saying, but what I'm trying to understand is why the question even comes up. What made you think that getting paid is even in the equation at this point? Why is it even something to worry about only months into the photography hobby? That's the part I don't understand.

Like was said earlier, most people who pick up a guitar never even consider getting paid to play it, let alone worry about how much to charge someone "in case they ask."

Look, I'm really not trying to shoot you down. Instead I'm saying back up a bit, stop even thinking about the money aspect. Not yet. Concentrate on the photography. Learn the craft. Then learn the business. And maybe, then, think about the money.
                    Last edited by veritasimagery; 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM.
                    Kevin

Comment

don't listen to any of them............go for it!!!!
                      Camera Pentax Kr Lenses Pentax 18 to 55 pentax 55 to 300 sigma 150 to 500 Misc stuff that my wife yells about and I have a 2006 ford bird blind.

Comment

Originally posted by jc56 View Post
                        don't listen to any of them............go for it!!!!
                        Yep, don't listen to anyone that has any experience. Jump into the deep end before learning to swim, screw up one photo-shoot, get sued, lose everything. If you don't think that can happen then you're delusional.

http://www.canonblogger.com/2012/07/...ued-watch-out/
                        Last edited by veritasimagery; 01-05-2013, 02:25 AM.
                        Kevin

Comment

Don't listnen to them......go for it!!!!! your camera is much more advanced than anything ansel adams had.
                          Camera Pentax Kr Lenses Pentax 18 to 55 pentax 55 to 300 sigma 150 to 500 Misc stuff that my wife yells about and I have a 2006 ford bird blind.

Comment

Originally posted by jc56 View Post
                            Don't listnen to them......go for it!!!!! your camera is much more advanced than anything ansel adams had.
                            Because the camera is the key to taking good pictures.

Just slap that sucker on Auto and you can be a famous photographer.
                            Kevin

Comment

you're delusional.[/QUOTE] ......That's what they said about Einstien and Edison.....Steve Jobs started Apple in his garage........Bill Gates quit colledge.....Harry Truman went bankrupt...get what i'm saying....... I'm sure all these pros telling you NO NO NO have been published in Brides or Natty Geo..........I'm probably wrong...but what the hell.. what are you going to loose....GO FOR IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
                                Because the camera is the key to taking good pictures.

Just slap that sucker on Auto and you can be a famous photographer.
                                Dear 60 font kevin,
                                Bet you a dollar that more people have published pics with a P&S on auto than you have with your battery of canons.:

Comment

Working...
                                X