Tax ID #

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax ID #

I've registered my business with the SBA and my state and all that but they only gave me a UBI number. How do I get a Tax ID number? Do I even need one? Also, if you're a registered business, do you get discounts from products, or do they just go on your tax information and you get a "discount" that way? This is all very new to me and any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!
    -Nikki
    nikkiwestphotography.com
    nikkiwestphotoblog.wordpress.com
    Facebook

Just go to the IRS web site and you can do it online.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

Thank you.
      -Nikki
      nikkiwestphotography.com
      Facebook

Comment

UBI is your state Tax ID#. You doe not need an EIN (federal) unless you have employees. It's your SSN. They get you next to nothing.
        Steve
        the Photographic Academy.com
        SharpShooter Industries
        My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

So, if I'm the Sole proprietor, I don't have to file anything with the IRS if I've already filed with my state?
          -Nikki
          nikkiwestphotography.com
          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkiweki View Post
            So, if I'm the Sole proprietor, I don't have to file anything with the IRS if I've already filed with my state?
            No, you would just include the appropriate schedules in your personal tax return. But why would you do that? You are likely much better off to form an LLC or an S-corp, which will protect your personal assets from most actions. As a Sole proprietor if you shoot a wedding and let's say your memory card craps out an you lose all the pictures you can expect a law suit that can and will go after your personal assets. Wouldn't you rather have some protection against that? Sure they are not bullet proof, but well worth it to mitigate such risks. There are many other reasons to form a separate legal entity, do your research.
            Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
            Flickr Photobucket
            Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

^Thanks, I had never really thought much about that! I will look into that.
              -Nikki
              nikkiwestphotography.com
              Facebook

Comment

Working...
              X