Announcement

Collapse

Please submit your assignment suggestions!

Hi! Please visit THIS THREAD and submit your dPS Assignment suggestions! We'll be starting assignments again in two weeks time - hope to see you all participating.

Thanks!
See more
See less

Web Site Critique Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Web Site Critique Needed

    I did request a critique on my other site which is now for just commercial audiences. Here's one for my non-commercial market.

    Chris Adval Photography

    overall critique please, note its a template and then manipulated in CSS/Dreamweaver.

    Some notes on the template I cannot change right now is limit amount of photos shown on slide show and number of tabs (buttons/links).
    Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

    Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

  • #2
    The landing page and the rest of the website do not match. I prefer the simple black and white of the rest of the website. Id get rid of the border on the images on the landing page. Also every link on the landing page seems to go to your seniors part of the site instead of engagements going to engagements and parties going to parties.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sarahashleyphotos View Post
      The landing page and the rest of the website do not match. I prefer the simple black and white of the rest of the website. Id get rid of the border on the images on the landing page. Also every link on the landing page seems to go to your seniors part of the site instead of engagements going to engagements and parties going to parties.
      I don't understand, when you click the link on the landing page it seems to take you to the seniors part of the site? It's only one page, how is that possible? or do you mean it only shows senior type of photography (fashion) on the photos?

      The borders only display for internet explorer, but I'll see if I can remove it with code.

      Thanks

      UPDATE: Took off the borders for IE viewers can't view them and updated images to show engagement/couple shots and party shots (in prices tab)
      Last edited by MrLowKey; 12-13-2012, 01:56 AM.
      Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

      Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

      Comment


      • #4
        Using Chrome on a PC for my point of view.

        I think I get what Sarah is talking about. The blue brickish landing page doesn't match the images page. Kinda like you're being redirected to another site.

        Also, when you click on "Seniors" or "Private Parties" or "Engagements" I think most folks are expecting to go to a page with example images of that specific kind of photography. It looks like no matter which you click on it takes you to the same page. If they all take you to the same page why have them separated?

        One last thing. Once on that new page there is no easy way to get back to your "Home" page for commercial or whatever.

        The images are beautiful though. Hope you get it just the way you want.
        Nikon D90
        Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Sigma 50-500mm OS | Sigma 1.4 TC | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | SB600

        Comment


        • #5
          changed the blue landing page to match my business card designs. I wish I could add more photos or tabs but I guess this template was meant to be simple which is good since non-commercial prefers more simple than complex or over information. I've updated the images on the slider and added images to the price tab, and revamped the open page... let me know on you new critiques.

          Not sure what you mean keep them separated, I put it there as what types of photography I offer... Wish I could lead the viewer to a specific page but the template is just one page using tab scripts.
          Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

          Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

          Comment


          • #6
            Because all 3 of the service types are links, they seem like they should take you to 3 distinct galleries. I was confused about the same thing. If they don't, I'd make them just text and not links, and have one "click here" or whatever, to enter the site. As someone else mentioned, there's also no link back to the landing page, which might be ok if people would have no reason to navigate between the 2 sites, but ti still just makes it feel a little off because usually there's a link back.

            The biggest thing for me is that the gallery with the full screen photos has text from the nav bar and the thumbnails at the bottom covering huge chunks of photos, even over the models' faces and eyes. I did find the button in the top to make them smaller (again, not intuitive) but even then they were still blocked a lot.

            Lastly, the landing page loaded very slowly for me on Chrome the first time I opened it. What size is your background image? Should be as small as you can get away with, your main page needs to load nice and fast.

            Oh, one more I guess. The FB links at the bottom of the main page, all on top of each other, are kind of awkward. They also make the page too tll for my screen so there's a scrollbar. I do some web design, and scrollbars make me cringe, plus it means people might not even see the links. Can you put them next to each other horizontally?
            My Website: Carissa Lyn
            My Flickr Photos
            Nikon D5000 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S | Various speedlights & lighting equipment

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CarissaLyn View Post
              Because all 3 of the service types are links, they seem like they should take you to 3 distinct galleries. I was confused about the same thing. If they don't, I'd make them just text and not links, and have one "click here" or whatever, to enter the site. As someone else mentioned, there's also no link back to the landing page, which might be ok if people would have no reason to navigate between the 2 sites, but ti still just makes it feel a little off because usually there's a link back.

              The biggest thing for me is that the gallery with the full screen photos has text from the nav bar and the thumbnails at the bottom covering huge chunks of photos, even over the models' faces and eyes. I did find the button in the top to make them smaller (again, not intuitive) but even then they were still blocked a lot.

              Lastly, the landing page loaded very slowly for me on Chrome the first time I opened it. What size is your background image? Should be as small as you can get away with, your main page needs to load nice and fast.

              Oh, one more I guess. The FB links at the bottom of the main page, all on top of each other, are kind of awkward. They also make the page too tll for my screen so there's a scrollbar. I do some web design, and scrollbars make me cringe, plus it means people might not even see the links. Can you put them next to each other horizontally?
              the banner is a bit smaller now and no background image any longer, is it still too tall?
              Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

              Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah still too tall- I suspect there's some padding at the top as there's a good amount of blank space up there even with a smaller banner. It's hard to get it to look perfect on everyone's machine (especially if you aren't controlling the code and css) but my height is 768 which is fairly common.
                My Website: Carissa Lyn
                My Flickr Photos
                Nikon D5000 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S | Various speedlights & lighting equipment

                Comment


                • #9
                  I saw scrap the splash page, it serves no purpose and was a bit of a fad during the late 90's :P

                  I like the shots you do have though

                  Can you make the main navigation so that the blocks are shorter and solid black with no gradient?

                  In fact, can you make the main nav just a single tab so that people have to click it to make it pop out? (like the feedback tab on here: http://www.jamieorourke.co.uk/)


                  Making me want to change mine again now.. :P
                  Last edited by Biomech; 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM.
                  Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
                  Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
                  Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The top banner on the landing page is rather confusing. The three "tabs" for Seniors, Private Parties, and Engagements look more like they are three separate links rather than simply saying what you offer. I get what you are trying to do by making them look "cool" with the fonts, but it is really confusing for the person browsing. Things like that shouldn't have to be explained for the general user to understand. Maybe it would be better to just simply say that you offer these services in the "About Me" section, or in a separate "Services" section.
                    Kevin
                    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think putting the 3 categories on the main page can work with the different fonts, but they need to not be links, just text, imo. Almost every person in this thread was confused by it, I'm sure others would be as well.
                      My Website: Carissa Lyn
                      My Flickr Photos
                      Nikon D5000 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S | Various speedlights & lighting equipment

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CarissaLyn View Post
                        I think putting the 3 categories on the main page can work with the different fonts, but they need to not be links, just text, imo. Almost every person in this thread was confused by it, I'm sure others would be as well.
                        I don't think that they are actual links, but part of the whole banner, which is a link. The problem is that they appear to be links, with the fancy fonts and all. That's why I don't think that they belong there, on the landing page. If the landing page is simply going to direct you to two other businesses, one for "Productions" and one for "Photography", then simply let their names be the links. Don't confuse with the "services" parts. Those can be listed on the actual business pages.
                        Kevin
                        Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                        http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                        http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Got it thanks guys... on redesigning the landing page from my original post I was going for my a match design from the business cards I would give out such as these here


                          Business Cards for Chris Adval Photography 01 by Chris Adval, on Flickr

                          I may end up just scraping the landing page don't know yet.. :\
                          Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

                          Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On the business cards, the "Seniors" etc look good, it's just they look like links on the landing page.

                            My thought was to just leave the business names as links on the landing page, and then you can duplicate the cards on their separate pages. And you can use the "Seniors" stuff as links to those galleries.
                            Kevin
                            Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                            http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                            http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Scrap the splash page
                              Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
                              Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
                              Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X