Announcement

Collapse

Please submit your assignment suggestions!

Hi! Please visit THIS THREAD and submit your dPS Assignment suggestions! We'll be starting assignments again in two weeks time - hope to see you all participating.

Thanks!
See more
See less

Once Again, critique my site?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Once Again, critique my site?

    Already posted a thread about mine, but no replies . I would really like your help!

    Everyone else is doing it, so I will to :ap

    Please Critique my site, you can find it in my signature or visit Kiran Patel Photography

    I have recently updated my website. Please note this is a small gallery Not a professional business and I do not in anyway try to make money from advertising or business on the website.... I believe in big and bold rather than complicated and distracting, so my themes will remain basic, I only really want the layout judged.

    Thinks to comment on?

    -Layout
    -Infomation [This is located in my homepage, Please read the HomePage which will come up when entering the site, named "About My Portfolio"]
    -Pictures (Obviously)

    ***I will not be buying a Domain Address, sorry, I will when I start creating a website for my business***

    Briefly touched this, but it is an informal site. I dont need a domain Becuase it is more of a gallery website, most of my visors have been linked to it (like this thread) and is here mostly to get my content out.

    You can stil judge these thing I have said I'm not bothered about. or if you couldn't be bothered to read all this, I will read it anyway and take it onto account, Thankyou for your consideration!
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
    See my Flickr for more of my work.

  • #2
    Buy a domain. They are $10/year. It is the cost of lunch. The older your domain the more time it has to build rank on google. Start building the ranking as soon as possible.

    Lose the falling snow effect. It is way too 1995.

    There is no photography on the homepage of your photography portfolio. Instead you greet the user with a big wall of text. Viewers don't really care about anything contained in that text. Show us an image.

    All that nav on the left side is fine for the blog section. Get rid of it for the homepage and gallery, it is only competing for your viewer's attention and drawing their eye away from your work. Make the main content section wider instead so your images can display larger.

    Turn off comments until you have pretty good traffic. Having an empty comment form with no comments on every page tells everyone that visits your site that your traffic is next to nothing. Especially turn off the comment counter bubble thing.

    For the same reason turn off the counters in your sharing buttons. You only want to brag about that sort of thing when the number is big.

    @KiranPatelPhoto in the header needs to be a clickable link that sends the user to your twitter page.

    You need about and contact pages.

    Blog should not come before Gallery in your navigation. The gallery is the most important part of your site.

    I could go on with a bunch of technical nitty gritty but that is probably not something you can change.
    Ryan Cooper Photography
    Vancouver Cosplay

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for your honest opinion I have updated the website so If you can please check it again?
      Originally posted by rcooper102 View Post
      -Lose the falling snow effect. It is way too 1995.
      -There is no photography on the homepage of your photography portfolio. Instead you greet the user with a big wall of text.
      -All that nav on the left side is fine for the blog section. Get rid of it for the homepage and gallery.
      -For the same reason turn off the counters in your sharing buttons. You only want to brag about that sort of thing when the number is big.
      -@KiranPatelPhoto in the header needs to be a clickable link that sends the user to your twitter page.
      -You need about and contact pages.
      -Blog should not come before Gallery in your navigation. The gallery is the most important part of your site.
      1) Removed Snow Effect.
      2) Changed the design and made my photos the home page.
      3) Removed Nav and Sidebars
      4) I think my share buttons are removed
      5) I did this in my information and changed by tagging completely.
      6) Created "About Me" and "Website Navagation" pages for information sections.
      7) Leading from above, gallery and photos become before the info.

      Hopefully it stands out more now, just editing these i realise that I should've done this first!
      I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
      See my Flickr for more of my work.

      Comment


      • #4
        You need to fix all of your spelling and grammatical errors. These automatically make you site look half-hearted and amateurish. You have misspelled words, random capitalization, bad grammar, and even two words shoved together.

        Here's an example with corrections in red

        "Welcome to my Portfolio! I Am a Young Photographer and looking to take the skill for GCSE. Any critics will be thanked for and ideas will be useful!"

        "Welcome to my portfolio. I am a young photographer who is looking to learn the skill for the GCSE. Any critique and ideas would be helpful."


        Your website is what people will first see, and it will be their first impression of you. If you can't take the time to make sure that your text is grammatically correct and spelling is accurate, then why should anyone bother with the rest?

        The only things that should be capitalized are proper nouns (names, etc) and the first word of each sentence!! And yes, "I" needs to be capitalized at all times.

        And I hate all the blank space on the right side of the page. If you are going to use small images, then have multiple columns. Also, make sure that the images you show are your absolute best. Several of the ones you have are over exposed, out of focus or are lacking a solid subject. Again, remember that your website is where people will get their first impression of you.
        Last edited by veritasimagery; 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM.
        Kevin
        Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
        http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
        http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          learn the skill for the GCSE.
          Grammatical in/correct or not, there's no "the GCSE" when spoken, it would just be "for GCSE", "for my GCSE" or "for (my) GCSE's"
          Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
          Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
          Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Biomech View Post
            Grammatical in/correct or not, there's no "the GCSE" when spoken, it would just be "for GCSE", "for my GCSE" or "for (my) GCSE's"
            Okay, since I'm not British that's my mistake.

            What the heck is GCSE anyway?
            Kevin
            Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
            http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
            http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Biomech View Post
              Grammatical in/correct or not, there's no "the GCSE" when spoken, it would just be "for GCSE", "for my GCSE" or "for (my) GCSE's"
              Oh the irony...

              Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
              What the heck is GCSE anyway?
              It's a subject-specific culmination examination taken in the final year of secondary school.. General Certificate of Secondary Education, successor to the "O" Level.
              Website ... Blog ... Facebook

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok everyone, thankyou for all of your feedback. This is what I have done:

                I have changed my builder and built a new site, I am now using webs, as blog style wordpress is annoying.
                Look here to see it: KiranPatelPhotography

                This is why I have used webs, and what I have edited:
                -Easier Module Applying (e.g I have now easily added images to my text to make it more professional)
                -Disabled the optional like, comment and share modules.
                -much better layout
                -only uploaded my best images
                -professional gallery
                -No more blog and irritating posts
                -Rebuilt pages so hopefully grammar errors are fixed.
                -No Stupid mistakes
                -contact form
                -smaller domain but not my own yet.
                I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
                See my Flickr for more of my work.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Niresangwa View Post
                  It's a subject-specific culmination examination taken in the final year of secondary school.. General Certificate of Secondary Education, successor to the "O" Level.
                  "General Certificate of Secondary Education" - Sounds like our SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). And here in the US it would be considered a singular, proper noun. Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect. When using acronyms, to find the proper grammar, you must consider them as if they were written out in their entirety. Therefore "I am studying for General Certificate of Secondary Education" is grammatically wrong. You wouldn't be studying for Certificate, you would be studying for a Certificate, or the Certificate, or my Certificate.

                  It's like saying "PIN number" or "VIN number". Since the word "number" is part of the acronym, including it again is grammatically wrong. It doesn't matter how many people say it that way, it is still not good grammar.
                  Kevin
                  Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                  http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                  http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KiranPatelphotography View Post
                    Ok everyone, thankyou for all of your feedback. This is what I have done:

                    I have changed my builder and built a new site, I am now using webs, as blog style wordpress is annoying.
                    Look here to see it: KiranPatelPhotography

                    This is why I have used webs, and what I have edited:
                    -Easier Module Applying (e.g I have now easily added images to my text to make it more professional)
                    -Disabled the optional like, comment and share modules.
                    -much better layout
                    -only uploaded my best images
                    -professional gallery
                    -No more blog and irritating posts
                    -Rebuilt pages so hopefully grammar errors are fixed.
                    -No Stupid mistakes
                    -contact form
                    -smaller domain but not my own yet.
                    You still misspelled whether. And it should be "I am only at a beginner level." Also, eliminate the "s" at the end of "Contact" in your "About Me" page. Yes, this may be picky, but it's the details that make a difference.
                    Kevin
                    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
                      Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect.
                      Here in England we tend to use "for" GCSE. As meaning "General Certificate of Secondary Examination," "the" or "my" would be grammatically correct. Although, as a big thing in the UK, we tend to use it as a noun in terms of it being a person:

                      -"for the teacher"
                      -"for GCSE"

                      We only use "the" if its an opinion or past tense, and "for" in the future tense:

                      "I am proud of THE GCSE's last year" "I like THE range of GCSE's."
                      "I will learn photography FOR GCSE".

                      I know it follows NO rules of English, but we're British, (okay, we invented the language, but what do you expect?)

                      BUT...moving back to why this discussion came to be. I might not need to replace it to "the" because it isn't a business website so it doesn't need to be perfection. But as a worldwide website I should. And if it was a business website, my customers will be from the UK, and to us, "for" is technically correct.

                      Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
                      You still misspelled whether. And it should be "I am only at a beginner level." Also, eliminate the "s" at the end of "Contact" in your "About Me" page. Yes, this may be picky, but it's the details that make a difference.
                      That is why I created this thread, so you guys can be picky and critique my website. Thanks for spotting this, I shall fix it now.
                      I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
                      See my Flickr for more of my work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by veritasimagery View Post
                        "General Certificate of Secondary Education" - Sounds like our SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). And here in the US it would be considered a singular, proper noun. Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect. When using acronyms, to find the proper grammar, you must consider them as if they were written out in their entirety. Therefore "I am studying for General Certificate of Secondary Education" is grammatically wrong. You wouldn't be studying for Certificate, you would be studying for a Certificate, or the Certificate, or my Certificate.
                        Well, I wasn't pulling you up or getting involved with the pedantry, just explaining what it was. They're similar to the SAT or ACT only in the sense that they're a national bench-mark assessment for moving on to tertiary education, though conventionally graded, not a numerical score, and are taken at 16, not 18.

                        Out of interest though, it's quite rare that it's used in a singular sense in the common vernacular, and is much more commonly referred to as a plural, (given they're subject specific and you take a bunch of them, I believe 9 is (or was) the standard). If it is used as a singular noun it is almost always combined with the discipline, such as GCSE French, etc.
                        Website ... Blog ... Facebook

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah what he said ^^

                          GCSE's are the end of high school exams you take after the teachers spend several years scaring you into thinking they are actually important.

                          As a general rule, you need decent grades in GCSE to get into college (for) - decent A Levels to get into Uni. If there is any importance at all, it's that they act as a gateway to further education.
                          Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
                          Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
                          Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Biomech View Post
                            Yeah what he said ^^

                            GCSE's are the end of high school exams you take after the teachers spend several years scaring you into thinking they are actually important.

                            As a general rule, you need decent grades in GCSE to get into college (for) - decent A Levels to get into Uni. If there is any importance at all, it's that they act as a gateway to further education.
                            Interesting. I had heard of this a bit. Is it true that if you don't get decent enough grades then you cannot go further in your education? If so, that's kinda sad. Here in the States, the SAT's will help you get into better colleges and universities, but we also have community colleges that allow anyone to get higher education and get two-year (Associate's) degrees. From there you can go onto the four year colleges and universities. But there are no requirements to take the SAT to go to college or university.
                            Kevin
                            Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
                            http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
                            http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can not view the gallery on iPad. And the grammar stinks. The very first paragraph is awful.
                              ~ Canon Rebel T5i ~ EFS IS 18-55mm STM~ VivitarDF-483-CAN ~ Canon EF 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM ~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X