first event shoot need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first event shoot need help

i was contacted by a friend of my girlfriend to shoot her dads birthday party 800+ guest invited she just said they need genreal photos any tips to shooting an event and any other advice would help. thanks.

Some thoughts.

Are you being paid?
    Are you the only shooter?
    If so do you have backup gear?
    What are the shooting conditions, indoor/outdoor and what time of day?
    What are the lighting conditions like (they may be very difficult)?
    Can you provide additional lighting if required?
    What are the expectations of the "client" and do they want prints etc?
    Do you know who are the "important" people (just to make sure you don't miss any pics of them.

I am just a hobbyst who shoots ocassional small events.
    Last edited by RichardTaylor; 10-30-2012, 06:27 AM.
    Flickr stream.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34094515@N00/

Comment

What kit do you have?
      Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
      Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
      Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Comment

im going to use a T2i with a 24-105 f/4 a 50 f/1.8 and a speedlite 380ex. and they just want digital photos no prints or editing. and i am getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardTaylor View Post
          Some thoughts.

Are you being paid?
          Are you the only shooter?
          If so do you have backup gear?
          What are the shooting conditions, indoor/outdoor and what time of day?
          What are the lighting conditions like (they may be very difficult)?
          Can you provide additional lighting if required?
          What are the expectations of the "client" and do they want prints etc?
          Do you know who are the "important" people (just to make sure you don't miss any pics of them.

I am just a hobbyst who shoots ocassional small events.
          what about this?
          All Photos Taken With NikonD5100 & 35mm Prime. Love The Challenge!

PhotosbyKyle.ca

Check Out My Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by nikstopsack View Post
            im going to use a T2i with a 24-105 f/4 a 50 f/1.8 and a speedlite 380ex
            For that kind of event you may really find yourself wanting something wider then 24mm on a crop body. If lens rental is an option, the 15-85mm may be a good choice but that will be a bit slower, maybe the 17-40mm f/4L.
            Prints available through PI Creative Arts. Represented by FIRSTL*GHT, a Division of Design Pics Inc.
            Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L, Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye
            ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Comment

Is that a solid f4? Because, as you may well know, if it's an f4-something, when you zoom in you're going to get that something instead.

Personally, if you can get hold of / rent / borrow a 70-200mm f2.8 you'll do alright. I love my 70-200mm

For shooting, apart from the usual, see what makes the atmosphere and shoot with that in mind. I did one over the summer, it was an awesome summers evening and they had a circus tent :O So I shot into the sun a lot and kept everything looking warm.

And try and get expressions on peoples faces;

Last edited by Biomech; 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

find out what kind of shots they are expecting...do they want posed, all candid...find out the schedule so you know about when important thing are gonna happen, speeches, roasts, cake, presents etc so you're not in the bathroom when important stuff happens
                If you're confident in your stuff, there's no reason you can't roll with the gear you have. Have fun.
                "They call me Bruce."
                www.brucebphotography.com

Comment

800 guests. now that's quite a party.
                  http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                  http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                  (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

As others have said...'know your gear backwards'

Personally on a paid shoot like this I would have a back up camera/flash just in case.
                    If you don't have a second camera/flash just check your gear is working perfectly before the event and have spare batteries, not only for your camera but also your flash unit. There is nothing more embarrassing than having your camera or flash die mid event.

At the party try and stay calm, focus on what you are doing and everything will fall into place.

Good shooting.

Jack
                    Last edited by JAH; 11-10-2012, 04:46 AM.
                    Cheers,
                    Jack

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highcountryimaging

Comment

And for the love of god, don't miss anyone! ESPECIALLY anyone important :P

Comment

Working...
                      X