Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yay! My cuz just called me (again) and asked me to shoot her wedding...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add this:

I would tend to trust your own self analysis of your abilities. But if you are waiting until you are "good enough", give up. There is a point where you just have to jump in. If you are lucky, you will never quit getting better and learning more. There is a point where you have to "pursue" rather than "think about."
    Steve
    the Photographic Academy.com
    SharpShooter Industries
    My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Menomenom View Post
      Fine, let me give you some advice.

You, like many on this forum, are trying to tell the client what they want instead of listening to what they want. I know, it's a strange concept...giving the customer what they want. Photos are very important to us, but not everyone feels the same way.

If your cousin wants you to shoot the wedding, she's telling you "I don't care about photos that much...adequate photos will do." You're telling her "No, you must have the best!".

Looking through your photos, it's obvious that your post-processing skills are very good, but I don't see much in the way of artificial lighting. Knowing how to bounce flash is essential for good indoor photos, and is quite easy to learn. Your nifty-fifty is a fine lens, and will do a fine job with candids and other indoor shots, but you may need something wider for the formals. If you can rent a 70-200 f2.8 IS II for the ceremony, that would be good as well. A full-frame camera would be nice, but your 60D should do just fine.

If you can do that, you'll be more than adequate, which is all your cousin is asking for. Also remember that a wedding can last 8+ hours (the last one I shot was 12), and even a bad photographer can get a handful of good shots in that time.
      There is a whole lot of truth there. Its exactly what made me leary in the first place. I'm a dab hand at prettying up an ok picture. Thats what she sees though are these artsy shots done well enough for someone that doesn't know what to look for. the problem is though that she seems to think im really good, she tried over and over to get me to shoot it, but I know my limitations and currently its composition, lighting and planning. All things i have time to remedy however, if i just get off my ass and practice.

As for gear, i try not to talk about my gear here too much, but i plan to use my 70-200mm f2.8 ISii on my 1Dx (if it shows up before november, im 3rd on the list, so its hopeful) my 24-70 f2.8 on my 5d2 at the reception, and have my 7D and 60D as backups. I'll keep the 17mm Tse handy at the church if i can get up high, and have my 85mm f1.2 on the 1Dx at the cerimony. I dont use artifical light much normally, it doesnt go well with all the traveling i do, but i have 2 430exii with light stands and umbrellas and a 580(?)exii i forget the number... 5...something anyway. That can control them, remote triggers too if i need as well. Ive got a few other lenses that might come in handy too. The 100mm macro for the ring shot, the 8-15mm fisheye(try as i might though, i've never mastered this lense) for something.... Maybe. The 16-35mm f2.8 for ultra wide shots. Im not so good with manual focus, so i'd rather use the 16-35mm than the 17mm Ts-e, though i hate the distortion at the wide end.

I know its not the gear that makes the photo, but a big hurdle in wedding photography is the low light. I shoot the majority of my work in low to no light, so i've built my gear around that and it will give me a significant leg up for this project. All the spcialty lenses should help make enough variety too.

When i was deciding if i was going to do this or not, one thing that helped decide it was that i could do a studio portrait session and engagement session with them. This should boost the number of keepers i get and create a pool of images i can use for more artistic style editing. Couple the two pre sessions, the learning i do from now till then and zero gear limitations together, and i have absolutely no excuse if i screw this up.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and the vote of confidence.

Originally posted by Mark Engelhart View Post
      I noticed that you have until November 17th to work out scenerios you will run into. That's plenty of time to work out in your head what you will need to learn to be reasonably comfortable on the wedding day. Think of it as a project and work through the project step by step.

Here are a few things to remember.
      1- Flat lighting (on camera flash) although not the most dramatic lighting is the safest to assure you get a usable results. Get the safe shots and then experiment.
      2- Carry a cheat sheet/ itinerary of shots you need to get. Segment the day and make lists on seperate pages for each segment. That way you don't have to memorize all the shots.
      3- Study other photographers for ideas on posing. Such as when getting shots of the rings, the detail shots, etc.
      4- Find a local wedding photographer and see if you can go on a few weddings with him prior to the date or just crash a few weddings without your gear and observe what the photographer does. Use a decerning eye though because it might be his first wedding as well.LOL This will give a feel for the flow and speed of the day.

You've got lots of time to concentrate on what you will need to learn to do an acceptable job and the talent and ability your images already show will make alot of it more than adequate.

Also, get friends to stand in and practice shots that you are not comfortable with until you are. You know that if you post stuff in the critic section here explaining what you are doing you will get plenty of helpful suggestions. Also feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll be happy to work it out with you.

Best of Luck!
      Thanks for the offer of assistance and the advice. I'll be sure to take advantage of both

Comment

The first 2 lenses you mentioned i would focus on keep the 24-70 on the 1Dx and the 70-200 on the 5d mkii. Put the other lenses on the 7D and 60D for the artistic shots... For example my setup is my tamron 28-75mm f2.8 is on my main body then i have my 85 mm for shooting the kiss from the isle at the end.. Find a second shooter ie your wife. Plant her with the 5d mkii and the 70-200 in the back to get the safe kiss shots and the other mOments you may miss up front. My main point i guess is plan it out where you dont have to stop and change lenses. You WILL miss moments if you do. I always have 2 cameras on me.
        Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
        Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
        Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
        Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
        http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone. I'll keep you all informed as to my progress with this.

I suppose it is a good oppertunity for me anyway. I'll be forced to work on the areas I'm weakest in. By the time november comes, I should be about as good as anyone with only 2 years experience with portrature, lighting and.... reading. because I'll have lots and lots of reading to do lol.

Comment

Well the time has come to revive this dusty old thread because I need YOUR help.

Nov 17 is just around the corner and I've done absolutely nothing to prepare for it. Like most people I guess I'm a notorious procrastinator.

I suppose I'm a little better with composition today than I was at the time I posted this, but I've neglected lighting completely, and I've not worked out any shot lists or done very much portrait work.

I need your help! Please, everyone gather around, put your best foot back, wind up and kick me right in the ass... i need to get on this stuff before its too late!

I'm out on a job right now, so working on my portraiture and lighting is going to be pretty difficult... I think i need to go out the the adult store and get myself an inflatable "model" to practice my lighting on lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzetsin View Post
              Well the time has come to revive this dusty old thread because I need YOUR help.

Nov 17 is just around the corner and I've done absolutely nothing to prepare for it. Like most people I guess I'm a notorious procrastinator.

I suppose I'm a little better with composition today than I was at the time I posted this, but I've neglected lighting completely, and I've not worked out any shot lists or done very much portrait work.

I need your help! Please, everyone gather around, put your best foot back, wind up and kick me right in the ass... i need to get on this stuff before its too late!

I'm out on a job right now, so working on my portraiture and lighting is going to be pretty difficult... I think i need to go out the the adult store and get myself an inflatable "model" to practice my lighting on lol.
              You're obviously not in a position to need much advice technically, so honestly I'd say the best advice I could give you is to spend a lot of down time looking at wedding sets..

while you don't have to take specific ideas (unless you see something you really think is cool) better to get a overall feel for it visually... you can discern trends in lighting, posing etc.. don't sweat the small stuff (and its all small stuff).. just familiarize yourself with weddings in general.. you'll be fine.
              Website ... Blog ... Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Niresangwa View Post
                You're obviously not in a position to need much advice technically, so honestly I'd say the best advice I could give you is to spend a lot of down time looking at wedding sets..

while you don't have to take specific ideas (unless you see something you really think is cool) better to get a overall feel for it visually... you can discern trends in lighting, posing etc.. don't sweat the small stuff (and its all small stuff).. just familiarize yourself with weddings in general.. you'll be fine.
                You are probably right. I don't really need any technical help, even my lighting skills aren't bad enough to stop the show. Shot list, Positioning and Timing are perhaps what I'm needing... other than some experience maybe

Doing as you suggested should be pretty easy too, as I have plenty of time to cruze the interwebz looking at other photos and coming up with ideas for my own.

I still think I would benefit from an inflatable model though... if for nothing else than to keep moral high ;D

Comment

+1 on what Steven wrote. I would also consider taking what I would call a spotter with you. Their job is solely to assure that you don't miss the little details such as ties straight, dress flowing, shoes tied, etc. This would free you up to focus on the big picture.
                  Nikon D 600/ Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8, 80-200 F2.8 D, SB900, SB800

Comment

Go for it!

Like the other poster said, take a crash course in the wedding flow, check out some online sites and kick some butt brother!

You may be surprised how much you enjoy the event!
                    Sigs: personal links not business advertising...

Comment

Originally posted by TDavie View Post
                      Take what i say lightly as i am by far an amatuer but looking at your photos.. i think you could definitely shoot the groom.. (if not the whole wedding).

I can see in your photos you know what makes a photo stand out and even though your 500px photos arent portraits or of any people at all.. you seem that you know your way around the camera.. I can see why you would be hesitant about doing the wedding never have done anything like it ( i havent either but ill take other photographers word on it that its not easy) but shooting the groom getting ready i think would be great practice and wouldnt overwork you at all. just my opinion.. im sure im about to get put on blast for that one though.
                      not to be a Debbie Downer..
                      1. there are no people or event photos in there...
                      (the stars and flowers don't get tired of waiting for you)

2. I'll say this once
                      http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
                      D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Comment

Originally posted by candleman View Post
                        not to be a Debbie Downer..
                        1. there are no people or event photos in there...
                        (the stars and flowers don't get tired of waiting for you)

2. I'll say this once
                        lol You were just looking for an excuse to use that gif wern't you

Comment

Do you know where she is getting married? Can you go there in advance with a few sacrific....umm..volunteers...and work the room. Pick out good spots to shoot from and the places where people are likely to congregate that can be lit well with a speedlight or two. Learn the places to avoid.

Get all the preparation and advance knowledge you can to limit the number of surprises.
                          Prints available through PI Creative Arts. Represented by FIRSTL*GHT, a Division of Design Pics Inc.
                          Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L, Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye
                          ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Engelhart View Post
                            +1 on what Steven wrote. I would also consider taking what I would call a spotter with you. Their job is solely to assure that you don't miss the little details such as ties straight, dress flowing, shoes tied, etc. This would free you up to focus on the big picture.
                            THAT is some great advice... It'll give my wife something to do too lol

Originally posted by Michael Coy View Post
                            Go for it!

Like the other poster said, take a crash course in the wedding flow, check out some online sites and kick some butt brother!

You may be surprised how much you enjoy the event!
                            Will do! I am a lot more confident now than I was when I stared this thread, its surprising how much you can do in a few short months.

Originally posted by Roshenk View Post
                            Do you know where she is getting married? Can you go there in advance with a few sacrific....umm..volunteers...and work the room. Pick out good spots to shoot from and the places where people are likely to congregate that can be lit well with a speedlight or two. Learn the places to avoid.

Get all the preparation and advance knowledge you can to limit the number of surprises.
                            Unfortunately this isnt going to be possible right now. It would have been a consideration a while ago, but now I'm out on a job site and will be lucky if I dont have to take days off to attend. I'm working now straight through.

Comment

THIS IS IT...

I'm about as ready as I'm ever going to be. Which is to say... not at all.

One thing thats throwing me for a loop right now is that my radio triggers wont work with my 1Dx grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I heard that pocket wizards wouldnt work, but didn't put two and two together to think my el cheepo cactus radio triggers wouldnt work. I had mucho plans for those things

Oh well... good luck to me. come 9am, I'll be shooting the groomsmen getting ready, then off to the races I go.

Planning on getting LOSER drunk at the reception. THOSE will be my best images for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Tzetsin View Post
                                THIS IS IT...

I'm about as ready as I'm ever going to be. Which is to say... not at all.

One thing thats throwing me for a loop right now is that my radio triggers wont work with my 1Dx grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I heard that pocket wizards wouldnt work, but didn't put two and two together to think my el cheepo cactus radio triggers wouldnt work. I had mucho plans for those things

Oh well... good luck to me. come 9am, I'll be shooting the groomsmen getting ready, then off to the races I go.

Planning on getting LOSER drunk at the reception. THOSE will be my best images for sure!

Good luck mate am sure you'll do a top job
                                Newcastle Photography
                                Newcastle Wedding Photography

Follow me on twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X